Username Post: Greetings from the UK!        (Topic#1593675)
Sprite Star
New Kid On the Block
Sprite Star

Hi Everyone!

I like creating art and writing fiction. I love science fiction and fantasy, comic books, movies and novels. I am interested in Art Journaling and Scrapbooking, and possibly this thing called a Smash Journal? (I need to learn more what this is!). I love drawing and colouring (colour pencils), I love rubber stamping and using peel offs. I'd like to learn to Zentangle, create Art Journal pages, and rediscover my love for scrapbooking again.

I first got interested in scrapbooking and cardmaking a few years ago, I dabbled making a scrapbook page and several cards, but haven't really made anything since. I think I got scared of not knowing how to add pages into my 12x12 scrapbook (it uses scary looking metal extensions and pins), and I struggled not knowing what to scrap about. I don't have a large family with lots of family events to scrap, but I would like to find other things to scrapbook. What things do you scrapbook about other than family events? I'd love some new ideas, inspiration, and encouragement along the way. I'd also like to make some new like-minded friends!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Sprite Star

Hi and welcome!

I'm in the UK too, near Bristol. Whereabouts are you?

No children here and a small family too. I scrap about our daily lives. I aim for a minimum of one LO per month as a record, but I end up with far more than that: the view from the window, the changing seasons, the birds and animals that visit our garden, the pet gecko, the car, the house, before/after decorating.

You know when you hate to throw things out sometimes because they have sentimental value, but you need the space or they break or wear out? Take photos of the item, scrap its story - and then get rid of it.

Post-bound albums? I hate them too! You can get conversion kits (HobbyCraft) to change a post-bound to the Snapload system - you only need two hands to work that.

Sprite Star
New Kid On the Block
Sprite Star
In response to RedSquirrel

Hi Red Squirrel, Thanks for the warm welcome! And thank you so much for the LO suggestions. I especially love the one about photographing sentimental items to scrap them then get rid of them - one of my New Year's Resolutions is to declutter! I can definitely take before and after photos, and photograph items I might be reluctant to part with - of which there are probably many!

Yeah post-bound albums! I didn't know you could convert them to a different system! I shall have to look for that. And that means you can still add more pages? Thank you so much!

New Kid On the Block

Hi Sprite Star! I saw an idea where you scrap yourself - like an autobiography. Your childhood, school life, college, etc. Something for you to pass down to your grandkids so they will know what their grandmom was like. I thought that was a cool idea.

Sprite Star
New Kid On the Block
Sprite Star
In response to catriona

Hi Catriona, Thank you for another great idea! That could be fun too, kind of like going for a trip down memory lane!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Yes, Snapload means you can still add more pages. It's not something I'd want to do every day, but it's easy compared with needing 4 hands and the temper of a saint to manage a post-bound album.

Sprite Star
New Kid On the Block
Sprite Star

Thanks, this may save my post-bound album and mean I actually get to finish it! I am more tempted to do Art Journals and Smash Books as the binding seems much easier to work with. I have a couple of spiral bound sketchbooks I plan to use for Art Journals, so I can make the pages as fat as I like.

Is there another kind of binding for Scrapbooks these days, other than the Snapload? Are they more a fixed number of pages? What do you prefer to use? I haven't bought a scrapbook in some years, I feel quite out of touch!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Yes, you can use the D-ring or 3-ring binders, which are just ring binders the same as we used in school, but bigger, to fit 12"x12" pages. They are several inches deeper than the Snapload or postbound albums and don't fit my shelving. Also when you have a double page, there is a big gap between them which you don't have in the other sort.

For those reasons alone I don't use the ring-binders, although they are much more convenient for loading and swapping pages around. But you can fit more pages in them. They are a little dearer in the UK than post-bound albums. Check out the HobbyCraft UK site?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Oh and you can add page protectors to all of them. It's just more work to do that with the Snapload system than the D-ring, and extremely fiddly with post-bound. The number of pages you can add depends on how bulky your embellishments are. I don't use a lot of dimension and I reckon I get about 30-40 back-to-back pages per album. Much more than that and they get too heavy to lift.

Sprite Star
New Kid On the Block
Sprite Star

Ah, they make them like D-ring binders now, that is so much easier for me! I used them loads when I was at school. As you say though, you will lose a double page spread, or at least have it separated. But definitely easier to use.

You should be able to use ordinary A4 ring binders for scrapbook pages with page protectors, like we used at school? They would be different shape (portrait rectangle) but it would fit on shelf much easier. And it's a standard size to find page protectors and paper / card for. Thanks again!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Yes they do. I'm not sure you could use our ring-binders though, because I'll bet my bottom dollar that the holes in the page protectors wouldn't be in the right place to fit our 4-ring binders. I've asked the question in the General Scrapbooking forum, because I'm curious too now!

Actually scrap that! I just searched and you can get A4 acid-free page protectors on Amazon - search for C-line. And they look as if they would fit an office ring binder.

Oh yes, and WRMK make a page protector designed to keep double LOs together in 3/D-ring binders. I don't use them, but have a look at this thread:

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15937...

kimberlyatlga
Resident
kimberlyatlga

Hello and Welcome!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics