Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Question how you use your cricut cartridges        (Topic#1593699)
New Kid On the Block

Hi all!

I've been scrapbooking for awhile, but just in this past year my hubby made me my own room!! Now that I'm getting more organized, I really would like a concensus on how you use your cricut cartridges.

Me currently? I'd be working on a page, think I needed a cutout from a cartridge, I'd make it, use it, and put it away. Done. But it sure takes time to set the whole thing up, so I find I don't pull it out as much as I used to. Every time I pull it out and look through them, I am reminded on some of the cool things I could do and think "Why don't I do that?"

Then, I fell in love with the whole scraprack system of organizing, and as I was stalking youtube videos, I noticed people had some cutouts made and filed away (from the cricut probably). When I expressed this to my husband, he said most "normal" people (of which I'm sure he doesn't think I'm one when it comes to this hobby), said he thought most people sat and made most every cutout when they got a new cartridge so they could see what each item was. I was protesting about the image being the right color, size, etc, and he said "REAL scrapbookers would find a way to use what they made".

I've been mulling over this conversation for a few days now and decided to post. Do you make all the cutouts when you buy a cartridge? Should I be doing this? And if you do, how long does it take you (on average) to go through an entire cartridge and make the images/cards, etc? I thought it might be a great way to use up some scraps I have piling up... but then thought I'm so behind as it is, wouldn't that take forever?

I also have a 13 year old who likes to make things. I've had her sit with a cartridge and make 1 or 2 things, but that's as long as she lasts... darn kid labor is so unreliable these days!

Thanks so much for your opinions!

Shawn :-)

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to shawnandjeremy

First off, welcome to SB.com!
Next, absolutely not, do I sit and make every cut that the cart contains!! That would take forever and be pointless. As has been talked about often by us Cricut users, "so many cuts we didn't even know we had"! Why cut a soccer ball if you know you are never going to need a soccer ball cut.
With the different search options available to us, it just makes sense to search out what we are looking for when we need it.

I have always had my Cricut sitting right next to me and always hooked up. Otherwise, I like you would be discouraged to use it by having to drag it out, hook it up. I just recently redid my room and have all my cutters in the same place, all hooked to my computer and ready to go at all times! It is nice to just open the software, pick my design and cut.

We all have different ideas and set ups- but this is what works for me.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to ChansGram

You can see my machines here and my computer is off to the left.
This is one of my favorite set ups so far!!
Scraproom By ChansGram

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

Your hubby hasn't learned that Real Scrapbookers all do things differently. There is no one right way.

I only cut out images from my carts as I need them. Too much time involved otherwise and I'd probably waste a lot of cardstock.

I do use a Gypsy always and there is a search option on it to find an image on a cart I linked to it. The Gypsy links to my Cricut. Gypsies are not being made anymore. After mine dies I'll use the Cricut Craft Room.

There is the online Cricut Craft Room you can use for designing cuts, which means you have to hook your computer/laptop up to your Cricut...

Another option for finding images on CArtridges is to use http://www.mycutsearch.com

Oh, one thing I did (I will have to photograph it and share) was to make a Cricut Font book. I cut font letters out using every cartridge I own and glued them in a book... that way I have a reference of what fonts I have available as I forget...

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to Sunnydi

My Cricut is always out. If I put her away, she gets lonesome. I store my carts on a bookshelf in alphabetical order. I don't cut anything until I need it. That said, my computer is down so I've been without Cricut Craft Room/Design Studio and have has to guesstimate. Some cuts do not fit, and I have a little drawer for "extra cuts." Sometimes I'll let DD, who's 10, play with them, but usually u find a use for them on another project.

New Kid On the Block
In response to BlingQueenRia

I'm probably the only person on the planet who doesn't use my computer to scrap book! We have one desk top, and it's in a completely different room! Maybe when we get a new computer I can take the old one. But until then, I guess I'm just doing it the old fashioned way!

Thanks for everyone's responses! It just didn't make sense to me to sit for a few hours and cut out things to store for possible use later. What if the color is wrong, or it's the wrong size, etc? I should know better if my hubby "thinks" he's in the know about scrapbooking... shame on me! :-)

Thanks all!
Shawn

Diva

I don't use a computer for scrapbooking either.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to bayamonesa1

I do this with each of my physical dies for my Sizzix Big Shot, my stamps, and my punches, but never for my Cricut cartridges - I've tried to keep my collection small enough that I generally know what's available to me, and I use mycutsearch.com and Cricut Design Studio to search if I'm wondering if I've got something specific.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to bayamonesa1

Nope, I do not cut out every image. I do flip through the book and memorize all of the cool cuts on each cartridge. If there is a cut I usually wouldn't use then I would use CCR to look up the image. If I don't have the image, I either make one or get one from another source.
BTW, I don't always use a computer to scrapbook either. I find I use my manual die cutting machine more than the electronic ones now a days...Welcome to SB.com

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel

I don't use my computer for scrapbooking either. I've spent far too much if my life tied to a computer at work, once I'm home I don't want to even look at the computer. This is the main reason I only have the small Cricut, I can't remember which one it is but I've had it at least 5 or 6 years, it still works just fine, I have a Gypsy I use with it, it doesn't require me to be anywhere near the computer, and that makes me happy.
I don't cut anything on my Cricut or with my manual die cutting machines until I need it. If by chance I miscalculate or it just doesn't fit my project, I keep the cuts in a drawer for potential future use. Otherwise, I think it would be a waste of time and supplies to cut everything in advance on the off chance that you might need it in that exact color.

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to chocolateaxel

I dont use my computer for scrapbooking at all either. And I dont cut each image out from my Cricut carts when I get them! There is a lot of images that I wont use. My machine stays out and plugged in so all I have to do is turn it on and I am good to go. I do utilize the online search engine quite often to find an image that I am looking for and then just go to the cart and start cutting away. I have been playing the 'whats the best way to store my carts' game, and just went back to the snapware boxes so I will start utilizing my carts much more. There is also a great font list on a ladies blog that she keeps updated of all the carts that hold fonts. I keep that printed out and in a binder so I can easily find which of my carts have fonts and use the ones I like more often. I found that that print out alone has made me use my cricut more often as well!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to m.perk

HA! Your hubby cracks me up. There is no way that would work for me. Until I decide what I am working on I don't even print my photos because I don't know what size I would want them to be.

The size, color, which paper to use....come on..

But, I have cut out items that I intended to use and then did not. I save those to use later like scraps, only they are cute scraps!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to CrimsonMama

Like Sunnydi, I do cut out a sample of the fonts on each cartridge. In doing so, I found I was surprised to find fonts on cartridges that I didn't even know HAD fonts. I cut each font at exactly the same size setting - that way you have a good comparison of how much room they actually take. I DON'T, however, cut out samples of the various other cuts. That would take forever! I just go to the cuts webpage previously mentioned and search for what I want. Here's what my Cricut font book looks like. I make a page for each cartridge and file them alphabetically:
Inside the book By Dwelch

New Kid On the Block
In response to dwelch

Wow! Thanks for all your responses! I sure feel stupid for even considering what my husband had to say on the matter.... Not to dis any other husbands out there that scrapbook, but boy I should know better about mine who DOES NOT!!!

dwelch, that is so interesting about the fonts. I've never thought to do that! I've been one of those lurkers to these forums, and haven't really posted for fear of just looking like a simpleton. I feel like Linda in that scrapy hoarding video, except my mantra will be "on scrapbook dot com they said...."

Now to go look through my few cartridges to even see what fonts I have...

Is there a master list of cricut cartridges somewhere? Like if you were a collector and tried to get them all, is there a list? Not that I have all that money to buy them all, but just out of curiosity.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to dwelch

Here is my Cricut Font book I mentioned.. There are inside pics also:

Cricut Font Book By Sunnydi

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

• shawnandjeremy Said:

Is there a master list of cricut cartridges somewhere? Like if you were a collector and tried to get them all, is there a list? Not that I have all that money to buy them all, but just out of curiosity.

There is; I just don't have time to find it for you right now... maybe someone else can.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Sunnydi

There is an app that lists and allows you to check off all of the cartridges you own. It is free btw, if you do decide to download it, use the one by Joy. It is more accurate.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to HisGEM

I never use my computer for scrapbooking. My computer is up in the attic. I spend enough time on it related to my schoolwork and need to take a break when doing creative papercrafting.

I only have about 18 inches of scrapping space on the dining room table. I have to keep everything stored away until I need it, then have to put it right back to make room for the next thing. My cricut is stored in a carrying case, and it's a pain in the neck to take it out for use. It's a lot easier to use a punch or a die.

All my cartridges are linked to my Gypsy. I have a loose-leaf binder with a page of images for each cartridge, which I look through when I need to select something. Most of those images are available when you go to ebay and click on a cart that has pictures of the images. You can also see the pictures on websites where the carts are sold. I print them out for my binder.

The idea of cutting out every image from every cart you own is totally insane. If you have nothing else to do, and only a few carts, you might want to cut out all the images (or just a few selected images) in a single color and size, and place them in a catalog along with a description, for future reference. But saving the cutouts to use in a project if you have no immediate need for them makes no sense, unless you anticipate actually using it in the near future.

Yes, there are some websites with listings of carts. Here is one for the fonts:

http://myfaqcricutds.blogspot.com/2011/01/full-list-of- ...

~Alma Scrapera~
Expert
~Alma Scrapera~
In response to Solitaire

Well, maybe I'm an oddball Cricut user, but I love using my computer. I use it to print my photos, sometimes play with them in photoshop elements before printing them. I read scrapbooking blogs and buy digital scrapbooking elements I can print at home. So, it isn't a jump for me to use my computer and the Cricut. I haven't used the CCR yet, but I personally would not be opposed to it. I even work in the software industry. Computers are just second nature to me.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to ~Alma Scrapera~

My Cricut has it's own spot in my scraproom all set up and ready to go.(If I had to haul it out every time I'd probably never use it.) I usually just cut as I need but sometimes I'll decide not to use something and instead of throwing it out I'll save it. I do use a lot from that pile. Sometimes it's nice just to grab and go.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics