Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: To Wait or Not to Wait, that is the question.        (Topic#1593701)
Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

Do you run and buy new products as soon they come out? Or do you wait until they've been in the market for a while and the prices have dropped? I tend to wait for prices to go down. But in the meantime I salivate when I look at all the new products that come out, especially after CHA.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Crafting Marfa

I buy 'em! If I see something I like, I just get it. I don't tend to notice that the prices drop so dramatically that it would make a difference.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita

Depends on how much I like something, and what it is...how long I think it may be on the market. With companies releasing several collections a year, if I wait, I may never get it. There are some collections that seem to be on backorder almost as soon as they hit the stores which tells me that the companies are trying to produce less so they don't have as much on their shelves...so if it's a paper collection I love, more likely to get it right away. But if it's a big item like the Silhouette Cameo which I know is going to be around for a long time, I'm good with waiting for the price to drop.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
I buy 'em! If I see something I like, I just get it. I don't tend to notice that the prices drop so dramatically that it would make a difference.

What she said!!

Expert
In response to Rosita

For patterned paper colletions...it depends on how much I love the product and if I know that I have something that I will use it for. For something like Cmas or a big trip I will buy as soon as I decide because I want to be able to get everything I might want (especially some of the embellishments because those can disappear quickly).

A couple of years ago I came across the "100 Days of Summer" collection by Simple Stories and realized it would be prefect for a special album I wanted to do about the cabin and lake we spent lots of time at in the summer--in reality it was a single-wide trailer on a sandpit lake, but the colors of the collection totally and completely went with the 70s style of the cabin. After showing off the album to my family I realized that I should make one for my Dad because he had just decided it was finally time to let go and sell the cabin/lot (after building a beautiful log cabin on a different lot). I then had to go searching high and low for pieces of the then-retired collection to replicate the album...what a PITA that was! So that whole experience certainly influences me when looking at new lines!!!

For tools and such I've learned my lesson that I should wait and let everyone else try things out!!! Wait to see if I really need it or if I just really wanted it because everyone around here was talking about it. One exception was in fact the Cameo, but only because I had been using the SD cutter for a couple of years already and couldn't wait to have a 12" cutter...no regrets at all with that decision!

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to HuskerMom98

It depends on what it is! If it is paper or embellies, I usually buy them....if it is a machine, I wait until all the bugs are worked out!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to m.perk

I try to wait until it is on sale. There are not many have-to-haves for me. On the occasion there is....I still shop around. Some collections you will never find a sale and get the entire collection, so you must buy early and often to get it all. My collection is large enough now that I can mull it over....sometimes I talk myself out of items.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof

I have already pre ordered cha stuff from another website, if that tells ya anything!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-23-14 09:26 PM
In response to bonprof

Mostly it depends on whether I need it right now for a specific project. If I don't, then I usually wait (unless I have a gift certificate or need to bump up an order to get free shipping or something).

However, I've come to realize, painfully, that there are some brands that I should just buy the moment I see something I like. Kaisercraft, I'm talking to you! I've now missed out on items from a couple collections because I waited too long. One collection only came out a couple months ago and parts are already discontinued!!

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to stick

I'm a sale shopper, its how I buy almost everything, not just scrapbook supplies. I do 90% of my shopping at chain stores or discount stores and their selection is rather limited. At chain stores there is always a coupon available or stock is on sale at least once a month so I never pay full price for ANYTHING there. About the only time I buy new collections or tools is when I attend CKC every summer and then its only because my choice is buy it then or don't ever see it again.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to disneylisa

if it's something i can't wiat to have i go for it. Like i can't wait for the new WRMK Flower Punch Board to come out

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to Rosita

• Rosita Said:
Depends on how much I like something, and what it is...how long I think it may be on the market. With companies releasing several collections a year, if I wait, I may never get it. There are some collections that seem to be on backorder almost as soon as they hit the stores which tells me that the companies are trying to produce less so they don't have as much on their shelves...so if it's a paper collection I love, more likely to get it right away. But if it's a big item like the Silhouette Cameo which I know is going to be around for a long time, I'm good with waiting for the price to drop.

This is me. Sales are great but I don't wait around for them. I have missed out on a few things thinking I will get them later. If I really want something I buy it.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to andrea m

Seasonal paper? I've learned to buy it when I see it. For example, Bo Bunny's Autumn Song arrived in the UK in September. I fell in love, but didn't order it until the end of October. By that time one of the only two stores to stock it had sold out, so I had to get it from the other, dearer site. My fault.

Tools, stamps and dies are more likely to be available for longer.

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Please don't shoot me, but I've never been into the buying collections thing. Sure, I see lots of them in magazines or online and thi k "oh, that's cute" but I've never felt the urge to run and but a whole collection of stuff. I will say that I am an impulse shopper...if I see it and like, I usually end up buying it!

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to JenKoss

I suggest buying what you really like when you see them. I tend to wait because I'm not an impulse buyer... unless I can put it in my hand right now (LSS for instance). In the meantime, I wait so long that the really good stuff sells out... and never gets discounted either.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to KatieJo

I'm not an impulse buyer, as a general rule. I tend to think about things for awhile before I get them. That said, an object lesson reared its ugly head just a couple of weeks ago. QVC (or HSN) had an Anna Griffin Christmas collection on it for 24.95. I can wait, I thought. I'm not calling in on this with 6.95 shipping and everything. After all, there's a jillion of them on QVC, right? I can order later.

But, nooooooo! When I finally made up my mind that I couldn't live without this collection, they had sold out, not expecting to have any more. Nothing on Amazon anywhere. I had to go on evilbay and buy the same collection for almost $70 with $14 shipping. ARGHHHHHHH!

Taught me a lesson, though. When I see it and want it, if I have the disposable funds, I'm getting it.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to meezerpleaser

I wait.

I am a huge cheapskate. I shop sales, coupons, discount stores....

The ONE time I rushed out and bought a scrapbook tool when it first came out, full price, I REGRETTED it. It is probably my least favorite, least used tool.

I do agree with Rosey. If it's a seasonal item, probably best to buy it when you see it.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Bxr-Linda

I am half and half. I love a good deal, but if it is something I have been wanting (and knew was coming out), or know that I can't find it anywhere else on sale (Google queen), I will get it. I don't regret buying many things. SOmetimes when I shop my own stash I am surprised that I did buy something I thought that I didn't.

poi
poi 
Tenant
poi
  • poi on 01-30-14 03:31 PM
In response to 950nancy

Depends on what it is some I wait, some I don't....

ddcmsmom
Expert
ddcmsmom

If I REALLY want it, I get it right away. Sometimes I can find things later at a better price, but I don't want to miss the collections I really want and know I'll use. Maybe that's why I have such a stash!!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics