Username Post: Protecting documents from water damage        (Topic#1593719)
Tenant

Hi,
In the past few years I've used an Epson printer which has Durabrite ink which is waterproof. For Christmas I was given an HP printer which has dye based inks, except for the black one which is supposed to be pigment but isn't waterproof. (I tested it)

I don't print photos but I do print emails etc which I don't want damaged by water.

I've tried Judikins Microglaze which is good but I was also thinking of buying a vacum sealer & sealing the tops of the page protectors.

If I did this tho would the emails etc go mouldy?

I'd really appreciate any tips on this please as it's really stressing me out.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to jelly59

Hmmmm,

I don't know an answer sorry, but I'm interested because of my Ancestry work, which is need to be archival. I will say this....everything and I mean every document and LO and photo, everything will be digitally backed up. My issue is dust, not water....

Vicki

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to jelly59

My gut feeling is if you want a better quality printout you will need to get a better quality printer/paper/ink system. There is no magic spray.

And it's not just the "water proof" aspect. You also have to think about the ink fading. Laminating or sealing it will not protect it from fading.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Why/how is water getting on your documents?

Tenant
In response to Bxr-Linda

Because there are many occasions when the documents could come into contact with water.

At the moment we've got really bad floods here in the UK & the water would damage all the stuff that is printed on a dye based printer & I don't want that to happen.

I'm just curious, do other Scrapbookers use dye based printers/ink or do you only use pigment ones, such as Epson Durabrite?

I may sew the tops of the page protectors as they'd be protected then.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to jelly59

I'm afraid anything is going to be destroyed by flooding, whether it is printed with dye or pigment ink - including the photos - unless you laminate absolutely everything. Sewing the tops of the protectors is not going to help much, and will harbour condensation.

I'm in the UK too, just above the Somerset Levels where the big alerts are at the moment. If the house gets flooded, the albums will be the first to go in the loft. Until that happens, I'm going to continue the same as ever, with whatever inks I have already.

I hope you aren't affected by the water.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to RedSquirrel UK

For me, I can't think of ANY time my pages would come in contact with water -- short of a flood, then I think you're SOL anyway.

I think Rosey is right.

I would be hesitant to 'seal' or sew your page protectors. IF you get water on your layouts (depending on how much), you possibly could dry out the pages. But, if they're sealed in plastic, you'll get dampness inside and not be able to dry it out, then mold, mildew...

Probably best to store your entire albums in a watertight container, rather than try to 'waterproof' your pages.

I have no idea what kind of ink my scrapbooks are printed with. I typically have my photos printed at a lab. Some of my journalling is done on my laserjet printer --no idea what kind of ink.

Best wishes that you don't encounter flooding.

Tenant
In response to Bxr-Linda

Thank you for the tips.

What does SOL mean?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to jelly59

• jelly59 Said:
Thank you for the tips.

What does SOL mean?

Sh*t outta luck

Tenant
In response to Bxr-Linda

That's not a very nice thing to write.

Tenant
In response to jelly59

I've just had one of those light bulb moments:

I'm going to put the paper/card in a page protector & then put it in another page protector, cut the edge of & place it upside down.

This way everything is protected - problem solved:)

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to jelly59

• jelly59 Said:
That's not a very nice thing to write.

"SOL" is a perfectly acceptable American slang term to describe an impossible situation which would probably have the same outcome no matter what you do.

Knowing Linda personally, I can assure you it wasn't meant derogatorily. And also knowing Linda personally, I can assure you she does know other derogatory words but chose wisely.

;D

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to ScrappyMama6

As always, good point, well made, Teresa.

Of course, I did not intend to offend anyone.

I 'could' have said your scrapbooks would be FUBAR if in a flood.

Tenant
In response to Bxr-Linda

I apologise for my comments. I hadn't realise what it meant.

I'm really sorry if I upset you with my comments, I didn't mean to.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to jelly59

I think this thread, referring to how scrapbooks can and do get damaged, needs this public service announcement.

Please remember to ALWAYS make good quality scans or photos of your scrapbooking projects and store them offsite. Scrapbooks can and do get damaged and/or misplaced.

story about a fire

Veteran
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Gelidy - are you sure the ink will fade if you laminate? I thought laminating would be the ultimate sealer and no matter what ink you use, it would not fade. (I don't mean in a flood or anything, just normal time and age.) ??

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to SunnyAB

• SunnyAB Said:
Gelidy - are you sure the ink will fade if you laminate? I thought laminating would be the ultimate sealer and no matter what ink you use, it would not fade. (I don't mean in a flood or anything, just normal time and age.) ??

My mom laminated a newspaper article and hung it on the wall. YES, it faded, and yellowed.

Here's my best-guess scientific explanation: Fading is caused by light, sun, and UV rays. Laminating does NOT block UV rays (it's simply clear plastic), and would therefore not protect against fading.

Veteran
In response to Bxr-Linda

Thanks Gelidy - very good explanation. Newspaper is probably the worst because of the ink and paper they use, but best not to take chances with anything I guess.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics