Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: What happened to journaling?        (Topic#1593723)
bonprof
Mayor
bonprof

I notice ALOT of layouts do not have journaling. Journaling is a cornerstone of scrapbooking and tells the story. I'm just wondering what everyone thinks about this?

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to bonprof

I agree about the journaling for MY scrapbooks. It's rare that I can do a page without it.
However, there are some people who view their scrapbooking as an art form or just a hobby to make pretty things so they don't like the journaling.
I don't think one is better than the other, in fact some of the people whose work I love consistently don't have journaling on their pages.
I guess it all boils down to why you scrapbook. I do it so that when I get old, I'll still have my memories.
When I do pages for other people, I'm diligent about putting in a journaling block so that they can add their memories to the pictures. To me, that's what really 'makes' the scrapbook.

AuntyT
AuntyT 
Governor
AuntyT
In response to Rosita

I think it is entirely dependent on my mood when I'm making the page. When I make pages for others I've given up on leaving journaling space because they don't journal. My mom doesn't like to journal so I try to put a date and place on the back of the page. Also I never scrap in any sort of chronological order so their albums are never in order. For my ancestry pages I do a lot of journaling on the back so no one has to redo the research I have done.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to AuntyT

Journaling is a cornerstone of your scrapbooking, and sometimes of mine, but not everyone's. Different people have different reasons for their scrapbooking. I usually journal. Sometimes I'll put just the date and event, without sentences or any further details, and while I don't think of that as journaling, I think most people do. And sometimes I just don't do any journaling, like on my recipe pages. There's plenty of writing on them, in the recipe itself, but I only think of it as actual journaling if I've written about the source of the recipe, or memories of making or eating it, or why we sought it out or why we like it so much.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to aquabunny

I haven't noticed a decline in people journaling. I think there have always been those who do and those who don't. I almost always journal, and 99% of the time in my own handwriting. Every once in a while I have a layout that needs no journaling besides title/date, but that's rare.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to cindy312

i guess i'm one of those who doesn't journal all that much. i do date my pages on the back though.
If i'm doing a huge project i'll journal till it hurts because there's so much information but otherwise ...and it's strange because i love to write.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to cescrapper

Journaling is a waste of my time.

It clutters my pages with my horrible handwriting, OR I have to find room for it that doesn't mess up my design and then write and print it. Blech.

Heehee!

But really though, I hate it.

Other people do it well and I love reading the stories. But for me, it's a no.

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to Manda_K

For me it really depends on the lo or project. If I journal I do it on the back of my lo. I don't like my handwriting and like Manda k said it clutters my pages. I always date my pages with month and year. If I know the day I add that. I don't think every picture needs journaling. I am working on Easter right now. The pictures clearly show that the kids are hunting Easter eggs. What more is there to tell.
If I am working on a project with a special story behind it then I might add that. If I was working on an ancestry album or trip album I would probably include more journaling.

Edited by andrea m on 01-24-14 07:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to bonprof

hi, I do a lot of hidden journaling. That way I can write more and it's more private. Most of the time I'll do a layout, snap a pic and share it here and then do the hidden journaling. See the ribbon at the top of this layout? That is attached to a piece of cardstock that slides out and has 'the whole story' of that day on it.

Tea My Darling? By Sunnydi

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to andrea m

• andrea m Said:
The pictures clearly show that the kids are hunting Easter eggs. What more is there to tell.

...a lot. My adult kids love the stories I shared thru journaling about them/the event... funny things they did or said, stories about relatives that were with us, then. Those are the things I forget thru the many years but being it's journaled; History in writing.

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to Sunnydi

• Sunnydi Said:
  • andrea m Said:
The pictures clearly show that the kids are hunting Easter eggs. What more is there to tell.

...a lot. My adult kids love the stories I shared thru journaling about them/the event... funny things they did or said, stories about relatives that were with us, then. Those are the things I forget thru the many years but being it's journaled; History in writing.

I agree for some people. But not everyone has those things. Like I said if it is an important memory or story I share it. Just not on everything.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to andrea m

Journaling isn't for everyone or every LO, in my opinion. I do very little journaling, in most cases I do none. But I don't have kids, my scrapbooks are either about our dogs or places we've gone. I have enough info either in the title or elsewhere to know the date or occasion, on a few LOs there is a little journaling if it was someplace or sometime really special. Mostly my scrapbooks are more about the art of the page rather than telling a story.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Sunnydi

I don't visibly journal very often. A lot of the time, it's just some pictures and there really isn't a story to them that's really important. I either went someplace for the purpose of taking pictures or I spontaneously made a family member (or pet) let me take a pic of them because that's the only way I'll get it and I don't have many. There was no moment to record or special event and I won't forget my feelings for them, so I don't write anything. Other times, I just don't have room or I will do hidden journaling.

The main reason I started scrapping was to have a (hopefully) more attractive way of saving my pictures. Since I started, my interest in photography has grown and I have pictures that are just for the sake of photography that I want included in my books.

I do appreciate the journaling that others do and sometimes wish I had a story to tell too. It just doesn't always work out that way.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to AmyWho

I hate, hate, hate journaling. Most of the time I don't even like putting a title on pages. I agree with Andrea M's comment about "The pictures clearly show that the kids are hunting Easter eggs. What more is there to tell." I recently did a LO of picking apples at my grandparent's farm... I felt like a doofus putting a title on it, because all I could come up with was "apple picking"... duh, the pictures already explain it!

Some people are wonderful storytellers... I am not one of them!

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to *jesse*

For me, it is solely dependant on the type of page I am doing. It seems that the more artsy it is, the less likely I am to have journaling. But even that isn't always true. It just depends on whether I feel like there is something to say. Frequently, I don't even have a title on my page. I do, however, try to sneak somewhere on the page what age my little boy was when I took the picture. I'm trying to keep a journal now to help a bit with my SB journaling. But, I can take or leave it. To me, the scrapbook is mostly about the photographs, not the journaling. But that could be because my other hobby is photography!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to *jesse*

• *jesse* Said:
I hate, hate, hate journaling. Most of the time I don't even like putting a title on pages. I agree with Andrea M's comment about "The pictures clearly show that the kids are hunting Easter eggs. What more is there to tell." I recently did a LO of picking apples at my grandparent's farm... I felt like a doofus putting a title on it, because all I could come up with was "apple picking"... duh, the pictures already explain it!

Some people are wonderful storytellers... I am not one of them!

You made me lol... "duh"...

I too find using titles not always necessary; especially if there is a little journaling or descriptive pics of what is happening.

The important thing is we scrap; and love doing it.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Sunnydi

I have a hard time with journaling. Usually names and dates make it onto my pages but that's about it. I like a good descriptive title though. And sometimes I'll make a note on the back of the page for future reference. I just don't enjoy journaling and don't like my handwriting either.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to olleharr

I think about it this way. I'm not going to be around forever. I would want future generations, Lizzie's and Jory's children, to know what we were all about. To do that I journal in my scrapbooks. I don't go into detail, and if it's personal or sensitive I'll hide it and put a pull tag on it. I will also hide the journalling if I am doing pages 8x8 or smaller because there simply isn't room. I always make room for the dates, names, ages, and if possible, places on the front of the page somewhere.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to BlingQueenRia

If I were scrapbooking to leave a legacy for future generations, I would probably feel differently about journaling. But I have no children, have had no children and am not going to have children. In all likelihood, I will outlive my furbaby, but he can't turn the pages on his own anyway, lol!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to bonprof

Hey Donna...you sure have been asking some great questions lately. I am a journaler. I write the comlplete story. There are pages now that I started heritage where I do not know much or any story so when I journal those pagess..it is small.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics