Username Post: Not sure of products to purchase        (Topic#1593737)
New Kid On the Block

I am trying to convert an old photo album to a scrap book. The photo album contained pictures of me pregnant through the birth of my daughter who is now 34. I used to purchase Creative Memories supplies but now that they are basically out of business, I am looking for similar products. I am not sure of all the products I need to purchase from your site to create my scrapbook. I know I need a binder, card stock to put the pictures on as well as page protectors and adhesive. Is there anything I need or should consider purchasing to create this scrapbook? I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to kayembee

Do you have a CM paper cutter? If not, a paper cutter would be a great additioin. Rather than adhesive, I would get a basic tape runner. Much easier than something wet. You can go as simple or complex as you want. I would start by looking at paper collections, and looking at the embellishments offered matching the collection. You can get however much or little you want of the coordinating items and it makes it simple to put pages together.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to aubrieannie

I just don't understand the need to be so caught up in brand names for scraping. Buy what you like. Use what you can. Experiment and find good stuff. CM to me was kind of bland although some of their stuff was well made (tools) I could find same kind cheaper.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to kayembee

Hello kayembee!

I don't think you are going easily find anything of the strap hinge type here. But they do sell some very nice post bound and D-ring albums here. The post bound seem to fill up faster but the pages have less of a gap between them. They are probably a little closer to the CM type of the two choices. And if you go with the Snap Load or EZ Load by Pioneer, they are easier to load and unload. (I've never personally used either of these though.)

As for page protectors, you would want to choose the matching brand to be sure they fit properly.

Paper is a very personal choice. I think you should just pick whatever you like and have fun with it. I'm thinking anything here should be of pretty good quality.

As for adhesives, I agree that the tape runners are a really good idea - especially since you are working with a lot of photos. The ATG is hands down the most recommended around here (although some people think it has a learning curve). If you choose that one, make sure you buy the acid free refills for it though. There are lots of other choices in this category too. Now, if you prefer to use photo mounting squares because you are more comfortable with them, I've personally tried, Scotch brand, Pioneer brand and Therm O Web and been happy enough with all of them. I could only easily find the last one here.

I can't readily think of anything else you have to have that you wouldn't already have set yourself up with through your initial scrapbook work already. Have fun picking through all the neat products.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to KatieJo

Oh and one more idea... check the reviews on products here. That should help you pick items that others have liked or not liked using and often the reasons why.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to kayembee

If you are converting an old photo album, not sure how the pictures were put in but UN-DU might be a good thing to have on hand to remove pictures.

As for albums, I was a die hard CM Album customer but I switched to the We R Memory Keeper classic leather D-Ring Albums. I love them I can get a lot of pages into one binder like the strap hinged one. Its also easier to move pages around.

I do not recommend the glue glider pro it too often goes back on itself and the whole cartridge is ruined. It has been costly in that way.
I did just invest in a ATG by Scotch. Although I am a lefty and it takes some getting used to, it has been great for its adhesiveness and cost.

Edited by jaxxan on 01-26-14 02:26 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics