Username Post: Large albums, 12x12        (Topic#1593769)
New Kid On the Block

Hi,

I am beginning to scrapbook for my trips and would like an album in which I could keep on adding. So far I've only see the post-bound up to 20 pages and the 3-ring binder ones. Are those really the only options?

Thank you

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to agripinosilveira

They're definitely the most common options, but I've filled post-bound albums to about 40 pages without a problem (and I've gotten to about 60 pages in 3-ring albums, with space to add more if I wanted to).

Rhondatx
Veteran
Rhondatx

I prefer the 3-ring binder. It is easier to add pages and you can add a lot more pages. My SB for our France trip is so heavy my husband jokes he might pull a muscle trying to lift it.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

I use rings for my kids albums, I am always adding to them. I like them for the ease of use and how much I can get in them. I am partial to the WRMK classic leather ones and their wide array of protectors.

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to jaxxan

I really like the ease of the 3 ring style, but the pages aren't close together. I can't stand post bound. I have used a strap bound which gives you the close pages but without the hassle of the posts. Also, if you are doing pages with raised elements, 3 ring works best.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to aubrieannie

Yes, the 3-ring/D-ring are the easiest to load and rearrange the pages, and they take the most pages. But they are also bigger (deeper) than the post/strap-bound albums so they stick out further on your shelf, and as Aubrieannie said, there is a big gap between the pages when the album is open which is not good for double page LOs.

Personally I hate the post-bound albums. I just haven't got enough hands or patience to manage adding page protectors to them. But if you can't find SnapLoad album, you can buy SnapLoad conversion kits to convert from post-bound to strap-bound, which for me is the best compromise.
Products Referenced in This Post:

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to RedSquirrel

About the SnapLoad - I have an 8x8 post-bound album that's getting too big for its britches, and will continue to expand as time goes on. Separating it into multiple albums is not idea. The SnapLoad item description says it'll hold up to 300 pages - do you find that to really be the case? I've found (but not bought) an acceptable album to transfer the page - same color and style as the one I have, but ring bound instead of post-bound, but I find $23 kind of pricey for an 8x8 album (I don't like to pay that much even for 12x12 albums). Do you think SnapLoad would work for this particular need?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to aquabunny

300 pages in one album? No way.

My biggest album has about 40 LOs, back-to-back in 20 page protectors, and it's getting unwieldy to lift off the shelf.

I can't even imagine 300 empty page protectors fitting in one album to be honest.

I just measured the height of the pile of my unfiled LOs, not in page protectors. 1 1/4", 22 LOs. At that rate, 300 LOs would take up 17" of shelf space, plus page protectors, plus album covers. And the 168 pieces of cardstock I bought a couple of weeks ago was about 2" thick and weighed a lot.

I found a Snap System 8x8 album in the Superstore that said it would fit 300 photos - could that be what you're thinking of?

How many pages have you got in your album at the moment?

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

a few years ago, I made an album for my sister in law, it was a post bound. I put 40 layouts in it and could have added lots more if I wanted, but chose to stop there. I did another album that year also, it was a wedding album for her sister for Christmas, by the time I was done, there was plenty of room for more pages in that one too.

then last year I did an 8 by 8 post bound, I actually had to add pages because I was doing a December daily, there is still tons of room for me to add more pages to that one as well.

I don't think you would be limited if you chose either style, but here's one other idea, you could do a project life style album, you could get tons of mini pages in there! I want to do one but it will be a bit yet before I get to that point to where I can do that, but I will one day!

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

• RedSquirrel Said:
300 pages in one album? No way.

My biggest album has about 40 LOs, back-to-back in 20 page protectors, and it's getting unwieldy to lift off the shelf.

I can't even imagine 300 empty page protectors fitting in one album to be honest.

I just measured the height of the pile of my unfiled LOs, not in page protectors. 1 1/4", 22 LOs. At that rate, 300 LOs would take up 17" of shelf space, plus page protectors, plus album covers. And the 168 pieces of cardstock I bought a couple of weeks ago was about 2" thick and weighed a lot.

I found a Snap System 8x8 album in the Superstore that said it would fit 300 photos - could that be what you're thinking of?

How many pages have you got in your album at the moment?

I agree! I have TONS of layouts I've done over the years, and I pray that I never have to take up that much space in one album, I like to have several albums on my shelf, I am getting a large amount of layouts that I need to put in an album now, but I've run out, so I will need to pick up another two or more to get them into it...

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• RedSquirrel Said:

No, this was in the item description for the converter system you linked to earlier in the thread.

I have no plans to actually have 300 layouts in the album - right now it's at 32, and I add new pages to it now at a rate of about 4 per year (it's an album about our various Christmas decorations and special ornaments). I just want to future-proof it. The album in the superstore that comes closest to my needs as an actual album replacement is $23, which seems outrageous to me for an 8x8, so I wanted to know if changing my current post-bound album to SnapLoad would be an effective alternative.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to aquabunny

Good gracious, so it is! Well yes, the straps might be long and strong enough to take 300 pages, but not if you actually put anything on the pages! That's quite misleading.

I see what you mean though - what a lovely idea. I can't think of anything big enough to future-proof that kind of album entirely. If it were mine, I'd probably start a new album every 10 or 15 years. I can't think of a more logical way of doing it.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics