Username Post: Newbie and looking for advice!        (Topic#1593975)
New Kid On the Block

New hobby for me and looking for advice. I've noticed that no one has mentioned pens. Not an essential ? Are there specific pens for journaling and others for writing on photos? The assortment in the scrapbook.com is a bit overwhelming.
Thanks!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Czuckerman

Hi and welcome!

Definitely pens are an essential, and usually referred to as "markers". And you're absolutely right, the choice is massive.

Here (attached) are some really good basics to start you off.

I use my Zig dual tip writing pen on every LO. One end is thin for journalling, doodling, labelling photos, and the other is thick for colouring in. I use the thick end for addressing parcels too.

The Millennium pens are very fine, for detailed work.

You'll need a white marker if you want to journal or doodle on black or dark-coloured card-stock, but be warned - any card-stock that has red in the dye (burgundy, red, magenta, burned orange, even chestnut browns) might turn your writing pink. Looks fabulous when used in small dashes to look like stitching.

Metallic markers are just gorgeous on Christmas pages, and any others where you've used gold and silver. Looks amazing on black as well, and if you use your scraps to make cards, writing in gold and silver is very effective.

Does that help?

Lisa1988
Tenant
Lisa1988
In response to RedSquirrel

I hate my handwriting but even I give it a shot for my scrap booking since I want my girl to see my writing, I was temped to type it and print it. I wish I had invested in some nice pens for it, if you can do it! Welcome!

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney
In response to Lisa1988

I second the vote for the white Signo pen! It's the best white I have found. Other than that, I use a variety of fine-tipped pens in different colors. I use black and brown most often. Then blues, pinks, greens, reds.

I am pretty boring when it comes to pens, but there are a lot of pens that are decorations in their own right. Gel pens have shiny ink and may also have glitter in them. (They take a while to dry and I am impatient, so I don't use them much.)

New Kid On the Block
In response to Frau_Cooney

Thank you all!
I must say that starting is the challenge. I've done some picture sorting and bought some basics..... I need to take the plunge. It's a bit intimidating but I'm sure once I get started I'll get more comfortable.
Cat

New Kid On the Block

Thank you for your advice and the specific products. That's very helpful as I add to the basics.
Cat

littlepixie12
Tenant
littlepixie12

Oh I was just going to ask about markers for journaling and stumbled on this post. Thanks for the advice!

randasue
Guru
randasue
In response to littlepixie12

I like using my handwriting, just because the things i have that are written in my sweet mama's handwriting are so precious to me now, and i think it is important to do some in your own handwriting. i agree that zig pens are great for writing. I love the gels and metallics and glitter type pens too, but don't use them as often. i have a page that i did where i doodled the whole background with different pens, and it looks really cool. it took forever, but i did it when i had foot surgery and could not be on my foot for about 3 months! if i can remember how to post a layout here i will put it on here.

New Kid On the Block

I have another question regarding supplies. What is your advice regarding purchasing card stock as single sheets or packs for a beginner.

Thanks!

New Kid On the Block
In response to littlepixie12

Love your first LO! Congrats!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

• Czuckerman Said:
I have another question regarding supplies. What is your advice regarding purchasing card stock as single sheets or packs for a beginner.

Thanks!

Here is my two cents as an old scrapper who has tons of paper to store.......

In the beginning Bazzill was the card stock company and everyone bought copious amounts of solid card stock to match up to pattern paper and embellishments. I still have tons of it in every shade in my scrap room. It can be handy but if I were to start today my thoughts would be the following:

Buy a pack of good quality, white, black and kraft paper as my basics. I would have them in both 12x12 and 8.5x11.

Many of the companies now are coming out with their own versions of solid card stock to go with their collections. Bo bunny has their Double Dot line, Simple stories, Echo Park, Fancy Pants, WRMK, and many more usually offer double sided solids or one color patterns for their collections. Fancy pants even has coordinating corrugated paper.

If I was starting over I would wait to buy so much card stock. Buy what goes with the collection. I would also recommend to think about what your style is when you do a page. Is it important that your pictures match the page? Is it more about making a theme and then putting in pictures? Is it more about the art of the techniques? Each one will dictate different needs.

I love having things on hand but I also have a lot of things that go unused for years. Below is just some examples of Kraft paper ( I can't believe how many companies offer it) and some examples of companies I listed card stock versions.

But most of all, whether its paper or tools buy things that you really love or can see using a lot of, it will save you time, money and heartache. Hope this was helpful.

Edited by jaxxan on 03-15-14 10:12 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to jaxxan

Funny, I'm the other way round. I stuck to one collection pack and neutrals when I first started, and got frustrated with never having the right colour!

My recommendation would be to stick to basic colours, but buy 3 sheets of each. That way you have 2 for background cardstock for a double-page, and one more for matting and making matching embellishments. With that in mind, the American Crafts collection packs are ideal as you get several sheets of each colour.

But you really don't need every colour that is available, otherwise you'd be swimming in it.

New Kid On the Block
In response to jaxxan

Thanks for your perspective, particularly around what is my focus on the LO. The products were a help as well.

New Kid On the Block

One of the bonuses of the forum is the differing perspectives. I'll mix it up until I figure out what works for me. Thanks!

Ah Jenny
Tenant
Ah Jenny

I love love love shiny and glittery stuff! Martha Stewart has a few sets of glitter pens. I haven't had a chance to use them too much yet, but they seem to be more for bigger writing and not for journaling in a smaller space. They're very glittery and beautiful.

For my journaling needs, I really like the Sakura line of Gelly pens, including the Shadow products where there is silver or gold on top of another color, and it looks good. It can be hard to read, but I like it. They also have glittery pens, like their Stardust line, and they have metallics.

As for paper packs, I personaly prefer to buy the packs of solid papers. I love the metalics papers and I use them to highlight the page I'm using, or I use them on their own. I'm not really one to keep to a colletion, so my stuff might be mismatched, but it doesn't bother me.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics