Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: Has scrapbooking peaked?        (Topic#1593993)
Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

This past weekend, while struggling to make just a VERY simple photo book on shutterfly, I pondered the question, When did scrapbooking get to be “too much”? Too many supplies requiring TOO much time. I have huge double closet full of supplies but there I was loading photos into a simple digital photo album because I just couldn’t deal with all of the stuff any more!

What exactly was that point when scrapbooking turned into this massive combination of supplies and complicated techniques? My guess is it started when the celebrity scrapbookers got involved. Love you Tim but I am looking at you. And the larger stores took notice. Martha. And the magazines tooted so many multi layered, technical tutorials you have to take a class just to understand them.

Now it seems several companies are scaling back and offering simpler ways to scrapbook again. Have we seen the end of crazy new expensive tools & techniques? Do you think scrapbooking has peaked?

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Perhaps. Life is a pendulum swinging back and forth every 30 years. I am wild about my supplies and my new scrap-room will be awesome. Just moved yesterday. But i don't want it cluttered with too much stuff. I will need to be careful. I will never go digital. Hate the pc. Scrapping is my joy, my therapy, my go to for peace. I will never give it up!

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to bonprof

I agree with you, Donna, I will never go digi because after spending too many years staring at a computer at work, I don't want to have to include it in my down time. I, too, have an entire room dedicated to my "hobby", but it brings me peace and relaxation in an otherwise crazy world. When I sit down to create a LO or a batch of cards, having the supplies at hand and the tools necessary to come up with the desired results makes me happy. My room is my sanctuary and my investment in supplies and tools is much better spent that way than on therapy, lol.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to bonprof

I sure hope not. I have been doing this for 10 years and haven't tired of it yet. I think all the new tools, supplies and techniques is what keeps things fresh and exciting in the world of scrapbooking. I admit I have fallen overboard and am swimming up to my neck in Tim Holtz dies and Martha Stewart punches but have enjoyed every minute of it. Simple will never do for me.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to olleharr

This is interesting....I'm new to the party so I haven't tired of anything yet. I also really love the paper art part of it so I can't quite see doing digital, but who knows, I might try that for a project one day. I've tried to not go crazy and really consider stuff before I buy so that I don't end up with a lot I won't use.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to CrimsonMama

Maybe one reason why stores are going out of business is that we already have our supplies. I have so much and now just want to use it. I agree, scrapbooking has turned into this massive combination of supplies and complicated techniques. I realized this when I was spending more time organizing than scrapping. In the past, I wanted to learn so much of the "new" but now I just want to make simple pages. I think it is getting harder for companies to keep "topping" ideas and selling us more stuff when we are bulging our storage. Yes, it might have peaked but I hope it is not going away. I find fewer ladies doing it, thus our area has fewer crops to attend.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to wilbur

oh my goodness is that not true, and right now, I can't scrap because my husband and I switched office space and my stuff is everywhere, and of course, I will be reorganizing. I will be painting my new space this week. I'll be too exhausted to scrap when I'm done!

joshuaminh426
Resident
joshuaminh426
In response to wilbur

I hope it hasn't peaked. I've never really thought it was about topping other people's layouts or getting super complicated. To me scrapbooking is about finding your style. If it brings a smile to your face when you look at the finished product,then to me that is a successful layout regardless of how simple or complicated it may look. I do what makes me happy.

As for Tim Holtz stuff, I own none of it because I don't care for the way any of it looks. I never understood the fawning over his products. I do own a number of Martha Stewart punches because they are creative and easy to use.

I think stores go out of business because during down financial times, the unnecessary items get pushed aside for life's more important things like food, clothes, shelter. It will swing back the other way towards more people participating in the art. I also think it can unbelievably overwhelming for someone to walk down a scrapbook aisle or store just as it was when I was walking through Brink's, a painter' s art supply store. There was just too much stuff and it made my head hurt.

The diehards will keep scrapbooking alive and it will return in popularity down the road.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to joshuaminh426

It peaked years ago according to the numbers in sales. I would guess that it is up to scrapbookers and the money they spend as to what will come out. If people buy it, others will sell it. A bunch of people I know have stopped scrapping. Life happens and new trends appear. I hope enough paper companies can stay afloat so there will always be new product.

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to 950nancy

Its funny that this is the first post I see when I come to the forums tonight. I was thinking this exact same thing yesterday while I was scrapping, and again this evening while working on a LO.

I have a whole room dedicated to scrapping at home, and I always thought it was necessary to have. Yes, it is wonderful to have the space and to have everything put away. But, at the trailer (we work out of town and don't want to sell our home, so we stay in our travel trailer) I have a 4 ft. table set up in the corner. I have my necessities. But, the only big "power tool" of scrapping that I have is my Cricut.

My view is that the pictures are supposed to tell the story. Not all the bling, paint, alcohol inks, etc. I use the bare minimums, buttons, bakers twine, straight edge punches. All the embellies beyond that that I have gotten have came from monthly kit clubs. And a lot of that stuff I give away. I think people are realizing that everything needs to go back to basics. I don't think scrapping has peaked, I just think people are realizing they don't need all of the other stuff to create a beautiful page or album.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to m.perk

2.5 billion in sales in 2005. Now it is closer to a billion. Certain crafts lose popularity and businesses have folded like crazy. I love to scrap and love to buy the punches and embellies, but most of my friends that used to scrap have gone onto other crafts. I don't know of very many scrappers that are in their twenties. When I go to crops met people look like they are moms and grandmas. It just is what it is.

AmyU
AmyU 
New Kid On the Block
AmyU
  • AmyU on 02-03-14 09:58 PM
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Unfortunately, yes, I do believe it has. Scrapbooking stores are closing all over the place. Products like Project Life are all the rage because it takes us back to a simple photo album style of memory keeping. I'll continue to do it all because I love every bit of it (including digi, pocket page scrapbooking, Cricut/Silhouette, 12x12, Etc.)! Plus, I teach classes to help spark a passion for memory keeping to anyone who will listen. LOL! This industry will never die, but it certainly isn't like it used to be.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to AmyU

Certainly it has. The 'stuff' was partly the reason I went digital in the end.

Too much money, too much stuff, just sitting there being ignored while I blindly bought more, slightly different, paper/alphabet stickers/buttons/brads/ri bbon/tags/inks etc etc etc.

I know that I was entirely responsible for what I bought but the marketing, the latest launches, the trends influenced me more than I admitted and I got suckered too often.

I can't tell you the relief when I donated it all and didn't have the guilt of looking at it all sitting there. Digital is a lot less costly.

Everything goes in waves and I think this scrap wave has crested but that's not to say another one won't be along in a few years.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to scrappercaz

I have a room full of stuff for traditional scrapping yet I do a yearly album of our best family pics from the whole year on Shutterfly.
I do yearly calendars on that site too for the inlaws and my sister.
I made cards for the teacher gifts there this year using my own photos because I'm not a card maker. At. All.
And I made 3 photo books of my dss1's senior pics as gifts for Christmas. These books and calendars take HOURS to make on the computer so it's a labor of love also.

I plan on (and have been) scrapping those pics for my albums as well because that's my creative outlet.

I love Shutterfly for what I use it for but love my paper and flowers too. I don't care for the postcard style of the project life and other cookie cutter albums-although im sure they are quicker. To me it's like buying a dress for homecoming at a mall store vs making your own. Eventually someone's gonna walk in with the same one.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to ScrappyMama6

I'd say yes, it has peaked... but it will peak again. It's not going to go away, nor are the materials. I'm guessing we'll see fewer new companies succeed and less innovation from the existing companies (not no innovation - just less than in the heyday), but it'll still be strong.

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney
In response to ScrappyMama6

I think that each of us has individual peaks and valleys with scrapbooking. I do a yearly Shutterfly album so I can easily share photos with family and print 5 copies of the same. I could never do that with traditional scrapbooking. But I still want to do the traditional.

When I started scrapbooking it was to make a wedding album. I enjoyed the craft, so I stuck with it. Now I have very little time, but want albums for my kids. So I have simplified my approach.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to Frau_Cooney

Although I don't think I'd ever go digital, just because I love handling my supplies so much, I do think that the hobby has peaked. Probably 2 or 3 years ago. I went through a serious accumulation phase (a la the Hoarders video that was on here a couple weeks ago) where I thought I had to have everything out there. Well, as the saying goes, if you had everything, where would you put it? You need containers and organizational products to add to your stuff, and that just means more stuff. Mmm. Reminds me of a George Carlin routine.

But now that I've got all the stuff, it's harder to poke through and find what I want, even though it's organized. I'm intimidated by so many supplies and find myself making very simple LOs and cards. So my new spending is way down from what it used to be. I still impulse-spend, though, but that isn't what it used to be either. I'm buying basic shape punches lately, because I never had any, but otherwise I'm just replacing flowers and cardstock as I use it.

It'd be a real shame if this hobby went out entirely. I don't know what I'd do without my Bazzill fix!

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to meezerpleaser

I agree that it peaked, but then again, no one I know EVER scrapped really so I guess it doesn't bother me much that less people do it.

I think the move to more techniques is more about your personal philosophy. If I wanted a book of photos, I'd use a straight photo album. I want to make art sometimes, and this is my medium. Do I still have pages that are more parred down? Absolutely. I could never do my entire son's baby album in vintage distressed multimedia. For me, I scrap some fairly traditional and some not at all. My traditional pages are not art to me, just pretty arrangements of photos. But sometimes, art is what I want. To each their own.

Also, as for digi, I use some shutterfly drag and drop at times. I do NOT want to spend time on digi, I hate the computer a bit. For instance, I had something like 400 photos from my son's first Christmas. I scrapped a few traditional pages (multiphoto, not tooooo much technique), then I did a few artsy pages, and then, I did a Shuttrfly album with the balance of photos I wanted to keep. For me, I turn to digi when there is high volume of an event where I want to keep a great record. I could fill one entire scrapbook with birthday pics...easier to scrap a few LOs and drop the rest in a digi album.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to aubrieannie

I don't know that I would use the term "peaked", it gives the connotation that it is all downhill from here.

I think it ebbs and flows.

I think right now it is in a period of decline, but so is the economy in general. Also, a hobby of this scale always needs "new". New scrappers, new tools, new ideas and new techniques to keep it fresh and exciting to both new and seasoned scrappers alike. There is a lack of all the new I think.

When mists were new, it was like WOW!! Then a die cut resurgence of epic proportions, then the Cricut and Cameo were introduced; we need something just as revolutionary to get the interest back up. It will happen. In the meantime, I am still scrappin'!

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.
In response to Manda_K

I don't think the process of scrapbooking will ever go away. It'll always be around - in one form or another. After all, it's been around since there's been paper!

I do think the material aspect of it is saturated. I love paper, embellies, and all the stuff, but sometimes I feel like there's too much. And it comes out too fast - I can't keep up with it all. I can scrapbook the rest of my life on just the stuff I have, so I buy less and less. Long-time scrapbookers are probably all in the same boat.

Somebody above mentioned that they don't know any scrapbookers in their 20s. I do - my daughter-in-law, my nieces, some of my son's friends. But they have less disposable income, so they don't buy all the 'stuff.' They keep it simple with paper, a few stickers, and things they can make themselves. That may be where the trend is going back to - at least for a little while.

I agree that it ebbs and flows. Personally, I'm just holding steady!

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics