Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Looking for Best Cutter/Trimmer on the market        (Topic#1594025)
New Kid On the Block

What's the best cutter/trimmer out there? Do you prefer slide blade, rotary, guillotine?

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to bwalston1

I have a few. I have a Making Memories Paper Trimmer, and a Fiskars trimmer. I like them both, but I honestly don't think that the Fiskars trimmer gives me a straight line. I know a lot of people have a Purple Cow Trimmer and LOVE it. That may be my next investment

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to m.perk

You're going to find as many opinions as there are scrappers, I suspect! My all-time, absolute favorite is the Fiskars bypass. I've had it for many years and it is as sharp as the day I got it. It cuts perfectly straight and is a dream to use. For 12x12, I use a Fiskars with a slide blade. I like it but don't LOVE it. The blades dull way too quickly.
Products Referenced in This Post:

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to cindy312

Cindy312 is correct, you will get as many different answers as there are replies. I don't believe that there is a "best on the market" when it comes to any scrapbooking or paper arts tools, including cutters. I believe that it is such an individual decision which is good and which isn't, what works well for me may not be to your liking and vice versa.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to chocolateaxel

I totally agree with Cindy on there being as many different answers as scrappers. I know Cindy personally and can attest that she loves her bypass trimmer. I, however, can't stand that particular trimmer I could never get mine to give me a straight cut. I'm pretty sure it's user error.

My personal favorite is the Fiskars personal trimmer. It's very portable and is great when scrapping in small spaces.

Edited by Luvmyfam on 02-04-14 07:58 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Frau_Cooney
Guru
Frau_Cooney
In response to Luvmyfam

I often hear of the Carl rotary trimmer as one of the best. I have one and think it does a great job of making crips straight cuts. However, it is big and heavy and not particularly portable. So, for the majority of my trimming I use a Fiskars 12x12 rotary trimmer and a 6-inch guillotine (Creative Memories, discontinued.)

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Frau_Cooney

I like the Tonic cutters, as well as the Cutterpillar. I have both.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to dwelch

I own the fiskars 12 in paper trimmer with a slice feature and it is good but not the best around i dont think!
which is better-
Zutter bind it all -vs- the we r memory keepers bindary??????
thanks
mg

New Kid On the Block
In response to bwalston1

Hi I'm new here I have been scrapbooking for a little over a year. One of the first things I bought was a paper trimmer. It is Westcott recycled paper trimmer with green blades. I'd say, the two blades became a bit dull after about a 2 months of use. I trim my photos or cardstock and then have to clean up the edges with scissors. I find that it doesn't cut straight even if I line it up with the grid area. Looking to get a new one but not sure which to get. :/ Mine is shaped like this one

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to karoger87

Hi and welcome!

My vote would be for the EK Success Cutterpede, but it is discontinued on this site. It's still available though. I've had mine for 6 years and although it is showing signs of wear, it's still going strong. When it dies, I shall get another to replace it. For me, that's the deciding factor with any tool - would I get another the same?
Cutterpede Trimmer (Discontinued)

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to RedSquirrel

FIskars rotary trimmers - I try others and I always go back to these. And if you have the money, a Carl Cutter!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jennifer Priest

I went ahead and bought the fiskars 12 inch guillotine type.

ae
ae 
New Kid On the Block
ae
  • ae on 06-17-14 04:56 PM
In response to karoger87

I bought the Martha Stewart Trimmer and its excellent. The blades store in a compartment hidden underneath; well made and the blades are great. I got the Cricut trimmer to begin with and for some reason it stopped cutting straight lines (no kidding!) Its Martha so you know you can't go wrong. You won't be sorry

New Kid On the Block
In response to ae

I thought about buying a circle cutter.. but prices for good ones range from $25 to $70 or so.... I have my eyes set on the silhouette portrait.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to karoger87

I bought a ce2 but it sort of sucks idk it is ok but I really should have gotten a silhouette cameo!!!

Tenant
In response to mindygail

I have the Fiskars trimmer that has the wire guide, which I really like. The guide helps line the paper up evenly.. I just bought some replacement blades and paid extra to get the titanium ones. They're supposed to last longer. We'll see. (Yes, the wire does fray after a year or so, but the company will send you a new one. It's worth it.)

Cloverlady
Mayor
Cloverlady
In response to Artistic Scrapper

The cutterpillar pro is supposed to be one of the best but it is pricy. It is a rotary trimmer and I prefer the blade cutter. I have heard a lot of people rave about it. My standby is a fiskers trimmer. I love how the wire shows you exactly where you are cutting and the blades can be replaced when they wear out and are not expensive.

hcocca
hcocca 
New Kid On the Block
hcocca
In response to Cloverlady

I have had my Genesis trimmer for over 8 years and still love it... but it's not portable at all. For something on the go, I have a Tonic Guillotine trimmer and haven't had any issues with that.

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to hcocca

I have the Making Memories rotary cutter and I love it. I've had it about 4 or 5 years and it cuts as straight and clean as the day I got it. Its a little heavy but folds in half it you want to pack it up to take it with you. I also like that it has a magnetic ruler with it. I really like the fact that you never have to change the blade in it since its self-sharpening.

Resident
In response to cat_woman

Hi, I'm new to the technology of papercrafting and am thinking about getting a cameo sillhouette. Would a sillhoutte also function as a paper cutter and circle cutter, or do I need to buy those seperately.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics