Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Trend of single photo layouts        (Topic#1594055)
Sandy Michigan
Resident
Sandy Michigan

All these beautiful layouts with single photos are incredible works of art. But to be honest they over whelm me. When I look at the gallery and most the posts are all day creations and incredibly stunning I am in awe but also feel over loaded. Is it just me?

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Sandy Michigan

Don't let yourself feel that way. It's just a different way of scraping. My MIL never would scrap that way. She wants to load her LO's with photos and memorabilia and journaling. It's all in what you want to accomplish. It's also a matter of taste to. I think it's a good thing that we don't all do the same things and pick the same paper. It would be boring around here!

Everyone should feel free to do their own thing and if they like it that is the only opinion that really counts.

boysmom
Pro
boysmom
In response to CrimsonMama

I prefer to do multi-photo layouts, but everyone does something different. I love looking at the different styles in the gallery. I think it's important to do what feels right to you and not to feel overwhelmed with the gallery or pressured by what others do.

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to boysmom

I do both, but I only generally post my single photo layouts. They are more artistic. My multiphoto layouts are more traditional.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to aubrieannie

When I started doing single photo, my husband did not get it at all. Now, it is more just what I do.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to aubrieannie

Sometimes I end up with only a single photo from an event that I like so I just scrapbook that one photo. Also, it's much easier for me scrapping one photo than trying to squeeze multiple ones onto a page along with a title, journaling and embellishments. It's all personal preference and what you're comfortable with.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to olleharr

I'm not really sure what you mean by it making you feel overloaded. I look at multi photo LOs and feel that they don't look how I would choose a page to look - but that's fine since they're not my pages

I love single photo LOs but I'm more about the 'art' than recording the story so maybe that makes a difference. If I was trying to document our lives it'd take forever doing it one photo at a time but I'm not, I'm just letting myself be creative for pleasure.

Just carry on doing your thing - there will always be others doing it differently and that's ok.

Sandy Michigan
Resident
Sandy Michigan
In response to scrappercaz

Thanks for all the feedback. I agree with the responses, it is about personal preference. For some it is the art, for some it is the history, for others the process etc. I do love the gallery and the various looks and feels. I can't really say what I mean by overwhelmed...probably a little of all the responses there too. My goal is to bring those photos front and center and tell their story...perhaps I shall add a bit more art... No negativity meant if anyone thought that.

Edited by Sandy Michigan on 02-06-14 07:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to scrappercaz

I like single photo layouts. I do some multi photo layouts but lately any multi photo layouts have been with 2x2 or 3x3 photos....I like leaving space...

I like having an open, spacious feel to my page. Some of the old school multi photo layouts to me, look like they are just trying squeeze as many photos as they can on a page and I'm not fond of that.....
Precisely because I want to journal, I like single photo layouts...it leaves lots of room for journaling and still room to be creative.

I scrap stories....sometimes it takes a few photos (like if I'm telling a story that takes place over time) but lots of time, I can tell the story with one photo....and I don't care if all my photos get scrapped. I just care if all my stories get scrapped....
If you scrap events, like birthdays, going to the zoo etc. then you might be inclined to put every photo on your page....

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to kiyawinn

I do both.....for me, it depends on the activity the picture is from. If it is one of my hubs and I and it's just a by chance picture, I will so a single photo LO, but normally for family holidays, baseball games, or other bigger events, I do multi picture LO's.

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to m.perk

I used to only do two page lo with lots of pics. I found that I did not enjoy it. It took me forever to get anything done and I almost dreaded it. Now I do single page lo and use one to three pics per page. I often have three to four lo of each event but I can do different things for each lo. I will often use the same paper line so that they go together. Now I enjoy each project and the art of it.

Most of my friends still scrap two page multi pic lo and they love scrapping that way. Its what works for each person.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to andrea m

I do both but used to try and cram all the pics on 1 or 2 pages. It felt cluttered. I pick the best photo(s) from an event and go with it. Sometimes it's 1, other times its 3-4. And other times I'm showing off the paper by only using 1 pic.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to andrea m

I think I know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed. Here are we, trying to record every memory, and often trying to stuff as many (often mediocre) photos onto one or two pages as we can, to record that event in as few pages as possible. Then we go to the Featured LOs in the Gallery, and many of them seem to be one beautiful, model photo, framed by half the latest products in the scrapbook store. We feel that our work is a bit rubbish by comparison. Right?

That's because many of those are created by designers to showcase the products. They aren't necessarily designed to showcase the photo. Most of us don't have perfect, Photoshopped photos of model children and we are not photographers with professional cameras. We have a point-and-shoot, our subjects are uncooperative and fast-moving in poor light surrounded by dingy looking clutter and winter browns and greys!

Well I say we should take what we love from those beautiful LOs; the design, the composition, the ideas and the bright optimism, and transfer what we can onto our own pages. They may not be single photo or have the latest products, but they are ours: our lives, our memories, our imagination. And maybe we can save a particularly lovely designer page into our favourites for when the right photo comes along.

poi
poi 
Tenant
poi
  • poi on 02-07-14 12:01 PM
In response to RedSquirrel

I don't get it, but that is probably because I have 4 kids and a ton of pics from their sports or whatever that all have great meaning my pages. Or so I think right now LOL! I do single pictures as well if that is all I have, but I couldn't just do one pic, to me all my pics are part of the story. I did branch out on the last page I did. I spread out this 3v3 tournament dd did on 3 two page layouts, but still have several per page. Perhaps I should stop taking 200 pics per game and that would help LOL But again, that is the beauty of scrapbooking, we all have our different ways of doing it!

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
I think I know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed. Here are we, trying to record every memory, and often trying to stuff as many (often mediocre) photos onto one or two pages as we can, to record that event in as few pages as possible. Then we go to the Featured LOs in the Gallery, and many of them seem to be one beautiful, model photo, framed by half the latest products in the scrapbook store. We feel that our work is a bit rubbish by comparison. Right?

That's because many of those are created by designers to showcase the products. They aren't necessarily designed to showcase the photo. Most of us don't have perfect, Photoshopped photos of model children and we are not photographers with professional cameras. We have a point-and-shoot, our subjects are uncooperative and fast-moving in poor light surrounded by dingy looking clutter and winter browns and greys!

Well I say we should take what we love from those beautiful LOs; the design, the composition, the ideas and the bright optimism, and transfer what we can onto our own pages. They may not be single photo or have the latest products, but they are ours: our lives, our memories, our imagination. And maybe we can save a particularly lovely designer page into our favourites for when the right photo comes along.

Well said! I agree!

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to Sandy Michigan

I do one photo layouts from time to time, but not often. I have to be careful not to overwhelm the page with embellies.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to bonprof

Rosey...you are spot on!! My personal challenge is to put multi photos on a page artistically with limited embellies, because of a limited budget, and an often uncooperative young subject. I still want each page to be an example of my creativity, but also capture every look, every nuance, every moment of a fleeting childhood. I wish I could afford whole collections of papers etc to look polished and perfect...but Im loving the process of figuring out how to design my own "die cuts", titles and embellies...

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to bonprof

Red Squirrel - very good points.

I have done single photo LOs on occasion (not like ones showcased here) and while it's pretty and creative, that is not the main reason I scrap. I scrap to archive events/life and there is usually more than one or two photos of an event.

I understand how you can feel overwhelmed.... The photos are perfect, the embellishments are gorgeous, and the layers and textures are amazing. I am more of a frugal scrapper. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem buying stuff, but I often think of the cost per page when embellishing. I also am very "the embellishments must match the theme of photos" and envy the use of birdcages, butterflies, bicycles and gears on a page where the picture is someone swimming. It looks great and I enjoy seeing that technique, my brain just doesn't work that way no matter how hard I try with my LOs..

I love looking at all LOs: digi, single photo, 1-page, 2-pages, etc. Even if that's not my exact style, i still can get many ideas from them: paper used, color combos, techniques, embellishments and other products.

Even though my style is definitely multi-pic double pages, my favorites marked on this site are a a combination of all styles for the reasons listed above.

If we all scrapped the same way, how would we get new ideas?

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to pugs223

• Quote:
If we all scrapped the same way, how would we get new ideas?

Exactly!!!!
I love doing pages that take three days and pile on embellies and use a lot of technique but I can't do that for a majority of my pages. They have to be flat. I also don't enjoy journaling but I have entire pages of journaling for my Ancestry Books.

I enjoy having more than one project at a time so my attention is diverted around and I can keep challenging myself.

I love it all! Some pages are about the photo and some are about the photo and the art.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to CrimsonMama

Absolutely, Peg - variety is the spice of life and all that jazz!

(And I can't wrap my head around birdcages or cogs with beach photos either... )

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics