Username Post: Might like stamping!        (Topic#1594091)
bonprof
Diva
bonprof

I stamped a little on a layout today; only my 2nd time. I think i might like stamping. How do i clean and care for my acrylic stamps? I only have 5.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to bonprof

HL has a scrubber and solution to keep your stamps clean. I use that. I also have a really strong solution for permanent inks. That I found at Michaels.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to 950nancy

Depending on what type of ink I'm using, I either clean my stamps with an ink cleaner I get from Stampin' Up, or I just scrub the stamp on a dampened wash cloth that I keep in my scrap room for such as that. If I use StazOn ink, I have a stamp cleaner formulated for that type of ink. I think I got it at J's.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to chocolateaxel

I use a soft bristled toothbrush and soap and water for my clear stamps. I don't worry about them being stained because they work either way.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to bonprof

I took an acrylic stamping class years ago. It was recommended to use hand wipes such as Wet Ones, but not the kind for babies. The baby wipes have lanolin or something in them that isn't great for the stamps. The Wet Ones are great because they come in individual packets that are great for crops. I will use them and then pat dry with a paper towel. I also have used the attached product, which I like. Also, it's normal for acrylic stamps to get stained. It will not affect their performance.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Luvmyfam

All the advice above is great.

Plus, Tim Holtz is well known for not cleaning his stamps at all. He just stamps them repeatedly on a piece of scrap paper until the wet ink is all gone.

With acrylic stamps, my experience is not to use any wet wipes that have alcohol in them. I suspect that may have been what contributed to one of my Inkadinkado sets melting and turning themselves to goo. Having said that, it could also have been where I stored them in empty CD cases and the plastic could have reacted to them. Or they could have been faulty in the first place, since I couldn't even get some of them peeled off the backing plastic. Who knows?

You will find over time that your acrylic stamps will lose their tackiness. A simple wash with soap and water and allow to air-dry, and they'll be good as new again. It's probably a good idea to do that every so often anyway.

Welcome to the addiction that is stamping.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to RedSquirrel

Warning: You might only have five stamps now, but they are prolific little monsters and will quickly take over a craft room if you aren't careful :>) Umm, not that I would know by personal experience or anything, you understand ~Judy

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to RedSquirrel

Yes Tim loves to leave his all inky. I clean mine and that is what I love about his stamps, they do clean up beautifully even tho' he doesn't!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to KatieJo

You all are so funny! Thanks for the information! What the heck do I store them in?

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to bonprof

I have some stamps. I use letter stamps to do titles, etc. And I have a couple of stamps that stamp lines for journaling. But, I just can't seem to get the hang of stamping on my scrapbook pages. I don't do cards and I don't want to have to color anything. I guess stamps are really just not my thing.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:
Warning: You might only have five stamps now, but they are prolific little monsters and will quickly take over a craft room if you aren't careful :>) Umm, not that I would know by personal experience or anything, you understand ~Judy

yes that happened to mine too. I must have feed them after midnight. I just went out and bought a 4 inch binder since my 3 inch wasn't cutting it any more.

Bonprof I started with a scrubber similar to the technique Tuesday one listed below. Then discovered the dabber topped cleaner bottle by ranger. I find it cleans the acrylic with almost no effort. I also found Staz On has one too. I like those better as they are more all in one.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to jaxxan

Is the Ranger clear stamp cleaner different....because it's for clear stamps? I have some of the Inkadinkadoo wipes that I use for everything.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics