Username Post: Old Memorabilia        (Topic#1594101)
kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

My mom gave me a box (like a banker's box) of stuff from my childhood and I just looked at it this afternoon. It has little storybooks that I made up, cards I made, a love letter I wrote to some boy when I was about 5, a bunch of ribbons, stuff from Brownies, old school work, paintings etc....
It was so interesting to look through my childhood! It struck me that I have always written stories and done artwork....there were a ton of imaginative stories done, with pictures, made up like little books....
And a whole bunch of paintings, drawings etc....

Now, what do I do with it all? The box that it was in, I threw out as it was smelling musty. I've temporarily put everything into a large basket but I'm not really sure what to do with it all....

Ideas?
Even help with how to preserve it would be great....
TIA!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to kiyawinn

Make envelopes &/or pockets to put things in pages. Scrap it simply n let the objects show off...journal what u remember. Photocopy or scan delicate or crumbly stuff.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Juansmom

Oh, and interview your mom about the stuff too!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Juansmom

What a treasure-trove!

I would scrap it as Chris suggested, in an album all of its own, kept separate from the acid-free albums.

Books are difficult. I have books that I wrote stories in as a child, and illustrated. They are in exercise books that are too bulky to present in an album. I'm still puzzling over that problem myself.

Frau_Cooney
Guru
Frau_Cooney
In response to RedSquirrel

If it won't fit well into an album, there is nothing wrong with keeping it in a box, just a new clean one! You had fun going through and touching everything once, you might enjoy that again the next time.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Frau_Cooney

I could possibly fit the 'books' that I made into a page protector....none of them are very thick.
I had put some paper together with a cover made from construction paper and stapled it all together....then I wrote a story with illustrations....
One of the stories was about African animals and I had made a zebra on the front cover, stripes made from tinfoil and fringe cut from wool!
One book was marked, 'Alison, age 3'....

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to kiyawinn

How lucky you are! I found an old card my daughter had made for her great-grandma when she was only about 12 years old. I created a layout using the card and included a photo of her when she was that age. My journaling said something about the fact that even then, she was making cards. I framed it and gave it to her as a gift. It now hangs in her scrapbooking room.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to kiyawinn

I used a scrapbook box for a graduation album for my gd so I could add a book and other things that I didn't want in page protectors.

You could also put bulkier things in a shadowbox so it could be out where people could enjoy seeing it. Or alter a "treasure chest of memories" that could hold some of the bulkier things to go along with an album of you and your memories. It's always fun to dig through a memory box, even when we know what is in it

Have fun doing whatever you decide to do. Your son...or his wife...will one day thank you for getting it all in order with your written memories :>)~Judy

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom
In response to mrsdriver5

Several years ago, I took a class where we painted and decorated cigar boxes to hold small albums. There are also all kinds of boxes made of paper and chipboard that you could alter to hold the items that are too big for page protectors/albums.

Just Nora
Idol
Just Nora
In response to MisasMom

Why not scan it all and scrap some of the memories from the prints? Then maybe fit some of the actual stuff in page protectors behind the page?

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to Just Nora

If you don't want to be in a typical 'scrapbook, what about LO pages in page protectors that lay flat inside a 12 x 12 lidded box? The top of the box could be scrapped, giving a hint of the treasures inside.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to flwrgrl

I like the idea of the 'scrapbox'....
I could put some things in page protectors and put them in a box to save....

I don't actually have a lot of memories from this stuff or anything to journal....
It is a lot of drawings, paintings, stories etc. that I did as a child....some school work and some ribbons from brownies, a coin collection, some badges.....

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to kiyawinn

Then I think the 'scrapbox' would work perfectly!!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to kiyawinn

You could make a window box. They have them at Michael's. it would be a fun way to display everything.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics