Username Post: Does anyone here use a Sony A55v or a Nikon D series?        (Topic#1594185)
Veteran

Does anyone here use a Sony A55v or a Nikon D series? If so, how do you like their performance? Are theire bodies durable? Is the Nikkon able to take old Nikkon film lenses or does it need specific ones? Any thoughts or suggestions on these cameras? Thanks.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to preraphaelitess

I am looking to upgrade my old Nikon D200 and it has lasted several trips and all kinds of elements. However it does depend on the Nikon you are looking at, you will pay more for an alloy based body than a plastic.

As for prior lens, it will depend on their mounting structure. Nikon is usually pretty good about keeping their lenses versatility on the body.

Veteran
In response to jaxxan

thank you.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech

Some of the old Nikon film lenses will require you to manually focus and manually meter.

I find that fun, so I've collected some great lenses dirt cheap.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Yes, in fact I was just on some nikon forums where one guy has been using the lenses he bought in 1966 on his digital SLR.

It is nice in this day and age to have large camera companies still take the mounts into consideration. We pay so much for equipment especially for good glass. That is so cool that you are picking up good lenses at low prices and working them on manual.

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to jaxxan

The only issue with the lenses is whether you have a crop frame or full frame camera. The lenses will all work (although old ones won't auto focus), but using a crop frame lens on a full frame camera will not maximize what the camera can do. So that depends on the actual body you are looking at. I had a Nikon D40, which is a GREAT camera. I recently upgraded to the D600. LOVE Nikon. The D40 was a crop frame, the D600 is a full frame. So, I had to upgrade some lenses.

Edited by aubrieannie on 02-16-14 09:25 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Veteran
In response to aubrieannie

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. I get so overwhelmed when shopping for cameras.

Jaxxan, I was actually looking at the D200 as something that might possibly work for me (my current camera is a broken 8 megapixel p&s, so the D200 would be an upgrade for me), but it says in the specifics that there is no microphone. Is that because it doesn't do video? Also does it have a pop up flash and a hotshoe? Will it do panorama? And most importantly will it take better pictures than, say, a Cannon Rebel or non-professional level DSLR?
Do you have any scrapbook pages in the gallery with examples of what this camera could do?

I'm in love with the Sony A55 right now, but already have some old Nikkon lenses so it's a tough choice. Oh, well, we'll see what I end up with! Thanks again!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

• preraphaelitess Said:
And most importantly will it take better pictures than, say, a Cannon Rebel or non-professional level DSLR?
Do you have any scrapbook pages in the gallery with examples of what this camera could do?

Honestly, the D200 was great in its day back in 2007. At that time it was one step down from the pro D3. However, since then there has been so many improvements in cameras on all levels that I would feel bad encouraging you to go for the D200.

Given the newer sensors, processors and wifi capabilities I think many of the newer DSLR cameras on almost any level would perform way better than the D200. In fact, I have been on field trips with parents who have a point and shoot with a changeable lens that took awesome pictures.

I just bought a new Nikon since my shutter is shot on my D200 and I found the Nikon website really helpful in figuring out the different lines and what would be best for me. If you have not done so, take a look at Canon, Nikon and even Sony's websites.

I will be interested to know what you decide or if any of us can help you further please ask.

FYI- Most of my pictures that are on my layouts prior to the recent 4th of July ones were all taken with the D200.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics