Username Post: Getting Annoyed With Spellbinders        (Topic#1594193)
flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

I purchased Radiant Rectangles in the fall, but just got around to trying to use it in my Cuttlebug. The sides cut fine, but the ends won't. I tried shimming it but you can't use much or it won't go through. The dies look a little warped, but since I don't have my receipt, I decided to call Spellbinders. Customer service said the Cuttlebug won't put enough pressure on the ends and you can't turn the larger ones so they'll go through on the sides. Sorry, but the little ones I've turned and out of 7 dies, 2 will actually cut.

Tonight, I purchased Majestic Labels 25. They are doing the same thing. I even purchased new "B" plates, thinking that might be the issue since mine were warped. No go!

I've never had any Spellbinders not work in my Cuttlebug!

Anyone else having this problem?

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to flintridgescrapper

I have trouble with some in my bug too. One is some fancy looking squares (I can't find them to link) and the lattice die (I had to cover up parts that wouldn't cut and just use a small portion of it). I just got a big shot but haven't tried them in there yet. It's disappointing.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to AmyWho

Amy, I just found a big long thread on another site about these issues. Apparently, Spellbinders expects us to make multiple passes, turn the dies, use metal shims, etc. for these to work. It's just so disappointing because I was so looking forward to using these dies.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho

Hmmm. Thanks for the info.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to AmyWho

Have you tried using an extra piece of cardstock as a "shim"? I know in the directions of the ones I have they say that just by adding a piece or two of carstock in the layered sandwich it will make it a little bit thicker which will help it to cut better. I have to do that with some of my spellbinders but not all of them.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to olleharr

Yes. Flintridge mentioned she tried that too.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to olleharr

• olleharr Said:
Have you tried using an extra piece of cardstock as a "shim"? I know in the directions of the ones I have they say that just by adding a piece or two of carstock in the layered sandwich it will make it a little bit thicker which will help it to cut better. I have to do that with some of my spellbinders but not all of them.

I have the GC and no issue unless I am working with a very worn cutting plate. Even then extra cardstock should work. If I'm working with a worn cutting plate, I might need to turn the die perpendicular but only if it is one of the very intricate ones like these. New plates remedy that but I use them till they almost have no surface left!

Also, another tip is the lattice and a few dies need a sheet of waxed paper so the die cut comes out of the die easy sometimes.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to CrimsonMama

i have seen this video where a cuttlebug or even a Big shot has a "sweet spot". So when I found this out i pass once then turm the pad around and cut it the other way. it seems to work.

Scrapjanny
Resident
Scrapjanny
In response to cescrapper

Try placing the die closer to the edges and not in the middle of the cutting plates. Also try putting a piece of masking tape on top of the die in the areas that aren't cutting. I have a Big Kick, and moving them toward the edges works for me on the rare occasions that I have trouble with the thin dies like Spellbinders. I hope this helps.

Edited by Scrapjanny on 02-14-14 06:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to Scrapjanny

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've tried moving it around, etc, but I have not tried the masking tape. I will do that when I get home, and see if this will help.

I don't have problems getting them out of the die. The ends just won't cut.

Scrapjanny
Resident
Scrapjanny

• flintridgescrapper Said:
Thank you all for your suggestions. I've tried moving it around, etc, but I have not tried the masking tape. I will do that when I get home, and see if this will help.

I don't have problems getting them out of the die. The ends just won't cut.

I hope it works for you. You might have to use a few layers of tape. Good luck.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

Jeanette, THANK YOU so much! It worked. I keep painter's tape by my Bug so I can tape a die where I want it, so I just used that. It took several layers, but it worked! I don't know why using cardstock shims didn't work, but oh well. It's kind of a pain to do, and I won't be buying any more like that, but at least I'm not throwing these dies away. I'm actually going to leave the tape on the die, so I don't have to change it every time.

Thank you again!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

OMG! Thanks for sharing this masking tip hint. I can't wait to try it. Who would have thought...

Scrapjanny
Resident
Scrapjanny
In response to dwelch

I'm go glad it worked for you! I've seen some YouTubers use that trick, and I thought it might help. Have fun with your dies!

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho

Yay, thank you! I will try it.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to AmyWho

I was going to suggest putting strips of double-sided tape onto the back of the paper that you're cutting. Not only will that solve the problem of glueing all those tiny little pieces, but it also makes the sandwich just that little bit thicker so that there is more pressure on the die. Same theory as the masking tape only with added benefits.

Kendra@Spellbinders
New Kid On the Block
Kendra@Spellbinders

Hi! I've read through this thread and I'm sorry your recent experience with our dies has been frustrating. I realize you've already spoken to customer service and you've resolved your issue with the masking tape based on another commenter's recommendation. I would like to mention we have designed many of our dies to have a high level of details, if the machine you're using is not wide enough to rotate the die and/or does not have enough pressure, it won't perform a clean cut. Please, email me at ktillman@spellbinders.us, if you have any further issues with our detailed dies and we can work with you on a solution.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to Kendra@Spellbinders

I had a similar problem with my cuttlebug but then it started doing it will all dies. The machine just lost the tension so I replaced it. New machine and the problems were solved. I knew it was my machine because the dies worked fine on my MIL's cuttlebug

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to CorrieW

My 5 year old Cuttlebug also does this, but only with the more intricate dies. The original shapes are absolutely fine - it hasn't lost any tension. I suspect that the Cuttlebug simply wasn't designed for the more intricate dies.

I have one Memory Box die that it won't even cut through paper, no matter how many shims I use, and I tested it at our crop with 2 other Cuttlebugs (one brand new) and a Big Shot with the same result in all of them. The die just didn't cut.

The Spellbinders Fantastic Squares that I got for Christmas need to go through several times diagonally. My Delites whimsical tree needs a couple of circular shims in exactly the right place to make it cut through. Not ideal, but workable.

I would be really annoyed if I had dies that were too big to turn and I couldn't use at all with my bug. I was planning on getting some Spellbinders rectangles but I won't if there's a chance they won't cut. Stores in Britain are not as good at returns as in the US, and Spellbinders are not cheap. I won't stop buying Spellbinders, but I will be careful what I choose. Thank you for the heads-up.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Well all of this makes me glad I selected the Grand Calibur. I really don't have many issues. There are some times I turn the die and make a separate pass but I'm using old plates. I have new ones and I'm about to toss my original old cutting plate. But the REAL reason I got the GC is that I wanted the GRAND dies and I don't think anything else will cut those because it's not wide enough.

I love the fancy dies. I don't know what I would do without them on my genealogy pages, I think they would be boring.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics