Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Do people get us?        (Topic#1594241)
bonprof
Diva
bonprof

I have a friend who doesn't understand why i devoted a whole room in my home to scrapbooking. I guess it doesn't matter if she gets it. Do people get us? Maybe not.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to bonprof

Most people I know don't get it. I don't even tell anybody anymore unless I find out they do it too because when I have, they've rolled their eyes, asked why when I don't have kids, or say something that implies I have the most lame hobby on the planet. It's funny because I've asked them what they like to do and their responses have been nothing or watch tv. I guess those are more acceptable hobbies, lol.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to AmyWho

I have several friends who don't scrapbook or do any paper arts, but they have other creative outlets so they understand. I have some other friends who don't have any hobbies other than watching tv or going out to the bars, they simply don't get it at all.
In the overall scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. As long as they don't try to force me to live their lives, they certainly don't have to live mine. Live and let live.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to chocolateaxel

I am sure they don't get it. I have people comment occasionally. No biggie. I don't get some of the things other people do. However, my hubby's love of his boat has enabled me to do a whole lot of scrap shopping. It is a great relationship.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Some do and some don't - it's just like any other hobby. My other major hobby is video games, and just the same, I have people who do and people who don't.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

Great comments. Live and let live is a great expression.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-17-14 06:25 PM
In response to bonprof

Yep - like Aquabunny I play a lot of video games. I also play with Legos and especially minifigs. I seek out roller coasters. I make jewelry. I quilt. I collect bakelite. I collect sterling flatware with a "C" mono. Someday I'd like to play with hot glass again.

It's like any interest or hobby - there are people who understand because they also participate. There are people who may not understand the specifics but, having their own interests and hobbies, can appreciate that you have your own. And there are people who just don't get it at all, and I've noticed that I'm usually never more than just polite with these people, who are (to me) so uninteresting.

There are certainly interests and hobbies that I have ZERO interest in and find the subject matter completely dull, but I appreciate that some people DO find these things fascinating. To me, it's not the specific activity, but the active engagement of the individual that makes something unique and vibrant, whether or not I can appreciate the activity itself in any way. And I generally find that such activity does become more interesting when someone can eloquently express their excitement about it.

I don't see any point in being otherwise, and I certainly don't see any point in wasting time or energy being disapproving of someone else's choice of activity (aside from 'activities' like homicide, of course )

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to stick

Just remember that we've preserved memories in beautiful artistic albums, while their memories are crammed in boxes. Whose photos do you think will be looked at and appreciated more in the future? Pfffft! We win!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to dwelch

Luckily I haven't had too many rude experiences. I'm pretty sure I could turn it around on just about everyone I know and question them about their hobbies or lack there of if I had too. My scrap room is my sanctuary. A place just for me. I can tune the world out and I don't have to share. I don't have to explain it either because the only person it has relevance and value to is me. Just love and enjoy your new space Donna. Don't let them rain on your parade.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to olleharr

Nobody gets it.....some people have no hobbies, I don't get that. You have to love something right?

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to PhotobearSam

When I first started scrapping, I thought people with their own scrap room were crazy and that a 6-hour crop was insane. I was SO naïve

Fortunately I had the good sense to keep my mouth shut! I figured that these people knew something that I didn't, and I was right. When people question my scrap room or long crops, I make sure to ask them what their hobbies are. They usually get it after talking about their own hobbies for a bit.

poi
poi 
Tenant
poi
  • poi on 02-17-14 07:30 PM
In response to Luvmyfam

I just call it a craft room, everyone gets that But no, no one has ever said anything, most think it is great, but most of them have a hobby of some sort like it so no bad comments and most get it

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to poi

Most people don't understand my craft hobby until they decide they want me to make something!!!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to olleharr

Very sweet comments.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Vallee

• Vallee Said:
Most people don't understand my craft hobby until they decide they want me to make something!!!

Lol, so true! For free. It'll only take you a few minutes too.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to AmyWho

No, but there are hobbies that other people have that I don't 'get'. I mean, some people are really into model aeroplanes, collecting walking sticks, bonsai.....they don't do anything for me but that doesn't matter.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to AmyWho

• AmyWho Said:
  • Vallee Said:

Lol, so true! For free. It'll only take you a few minutes too.

That's so my brother and his wife, and then they got mad when I said I didn't have time to make a scrapbook for their god-daughter's birthday or graduation or something. I can't remember what it was. It was something they thought I could do in a couple of days.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to NMlady

LOL! Yeah I'm sure if I told people how long it takes me to create a page they would having something snide to say.

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.
In response to NMlady

I think it's funny when I tell people about my hobby and tell them I have an entire room devoted to it, I get either "Oh, I used to scrapbook" or "I've always wanted to do that." Both of those comments are followed by "I don't have time to do something like that." My response to that is that I make time because it's what I enjoy doing.

My mother collects buttons. People think that's odd until she shows them what she has and what she does with them. She has beautiful displays. They are fascinated that there are button clubs and auctions just for buttons.

Everybody has their thing, and when people look at me funny or make comments I try to make them realize that just because it's not their thing doesn't mean that it shouldn't be my thing!

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to Mary W.

Sometimes i'm afraid to say i scrapbook because to some it's so darn silly or they just don't understand that paper crafing is an artform, as far as i'm concerned, as much as drawing or painting. i wish i had artisic talents my art is my scrapbooking and card making =

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics