Username Post: Acrylic stamp difficulties        (Topic#1594795)
ddcmsmom
Expert
ddcmsmom

I haven't done a lot of stamping recently, but the BoBunny Essentials acrylic stamps caught my eye, and I purchased a few sets. Last night, I tried using one on a layout for the first time, and I wasn't thrilled with the way my stamping turned out. I ran an eraser over the face of the stamp as suggested on the packaging, and I used a Ranger distress ink pad. Do you have any suggestions for satisfactory results with acrylic stamps?
Products Referenced in This Post:

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to ddcmsmom

For acrylic stamps, I get much better results with Memento Brilliance pads. I really don't like stamping with Distress inks, but some turn out okay. I always do a test stamp first because I just never know. That probably doesn't help much, but I know it can be frustrating.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to AmyWho

Distress inks will not give a good clear image.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to ddcmsmom

Hi!
I agree with the other comments. Distress inks are meant to look....well, distressed! They will not give a even perfect coverage. I am really into the Mix'd Media Inx right now. Really good coverage. Another thing I noticed about acrylic is that when you are using a good coverage ink, be sure not to over ink it or it will have a smuged look because there is so much flexibility to the stamp when you press it down.

That is interesting about rubbing an eraser over it first, I had never heard of that.

cinderella4282
Pro
cinderella4282
In response to CrimsonMama

I love the staz on permanent ink with the acrylic stamps.....they give a nice complete image. The distress inks can pool and bead on the stamp.

srichter
Resident
srichter
In response to cinderella4282

Okay some people might cringe and tell you NOT to do this, but for my acrylic stamps, I usually take one of those cheap emery boards/nail file (the cardboard-y ones, not metal) and just lightly run it over the surface of my stamp before I ink it. I find it gives the ink a little "something" to grab onto and prevents the ink from beading up.

I would recommend trying my stamp on scrap paper first BEFORE trying my emery board technique - some acrylic stamps might not need it.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to srichter

The distress ink is the issue here I think. They do not set evenly on the stamp and tend to seep into the paper. Try a good chalk ink or Staz On. Staz on always gives a nice clear image.
Staz On Ink Pads - Jet Black

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to ddcmsmom

I also found be careful what you use to wipe off the stamps. Some paper towels, tissues, wipes, etc. have hidden chemicals in them for softness. And the residue can mess with the ink.

ddcmsmom
Expert
ddcmsmom
In response to olleharr

I tried chalk ink and got a much better impression. Now I have to go stock up on some good colors! I love the color selection of the Tim Holtz distress inks.

GG, have you found something that does work well for wiping off stamps?

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics