Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: cricut or something else        (Topic#1594829)
Tenant

this is probably somewhere else as well but i'm new to this.

come tax return time i'm thinking of investing in a die cut machine.
but i don't know much and i dislike buying without information. the first place i go for info is th people
so....
recommendations?
suggestions?
please.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to stormwolfe

Nutshell time - this is very, very simplified!

There are two different kinds of die-cutting machines: hand-cranked and electronic.

Hand-cranked need no electricity and are portable, but you need to buy dies, and they also emboss, eg. Cuttlebug by Provocraft, Big Shot by Sizzix, Grand Calibur by Spellbinders. I'll link more below. These are around the £80-£100 mark.

Then there are electronic cutters: eg. several of different Cricut machines by Provocraft, Cameo and Portrait by Silhouette. The Cricuts need cartridges that you buy separately and you can only cut those shapes on the cart. The Silhouettes need a computer. You either buy shapes from the site to download and cut, or you create your own if you have the computer know-how. These will cut whatever size you tell them to. Some emboss too. You can pay several hundred for them.

Personally I began with the Cuttlebug (LOVE my bug, still, after 6 years) and then got a Silhouette because I'm computer-savvy and wanted to design my own shapes. I use the bug on practically every project.

So you need to decide whether you need electricity or not, how much you want to spend now and going forward, and how experienced you are with a computer.

Does that help?

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to RedSquirrel

I bought a die cutter (BigKick). For me, it was a few thins: 1. the cost. I didn't have a several hundred at the time. 2: The big box craft stores don't allow you to use coupons on cricut cartridges but many do on dies, and I feel like they rarely go on sale. 3. I wouldn't use all the designs on the cartridge. I love my die cut and use it often. After spending almost a year and a half with it, I'm glad about my choice. After all the reading, my next purchase will be a Silhouette/Cameo. I don't mind having to plug it in and I love the idea of only purchasing images you want/need, downloading them, etc. But, I still am planning on keeping my die cutter too. Have fun!

chinagirl
Tenant
chinagirl
In response to scrapchica

Storm,

I also wanted a die cut machine and I did some research and my husband bought me a Big Shot. I just got it on Friday and so far I am enjoying it. I also signed up for the free tutorials on how to use the big shot from this website, very very helpful. The price was not bad. He got the Teal Big shot starter kit for $98. The versatility & the style is why I chose it. Good Luck!

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to chinagirl

I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but be SURE you want it. Do you have a local store that has some you can try? I say this because I bought a Cricuit, used it a little, but ultimately didn't like it much. I sold it on ebay. Luckily I bought with a 50% off coupon and got what I paid for it! You can buy a LOT of supplies for the cost of a die cutter. I THOUGHT I was going to LOVE it. But, for some reason, I just didn't. Now, I kinda want a hand crank lovely because I think I'd like the embossing aspects.

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney
In response to aubrieannie

Two additional comments:

1. With Cricut, you can use the online software Cricut Craft Room and purchase specific images rather than entire cartridges. This makes it more similar to the Silhouette Cameo, but still probably not as versatile. Also, the Cameo can cut any true-type font you download from the internet. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably choose the Cameo now.

2. Aubrieanne has a good point about being sure you want it. I rarely use my Cricut now because I don't have a lot of time. When I started scrapping, I used to spend a LOT of time hand-cutting letters from stencils. The Cricut made that comparatively quick and easy. But, I have less and less time for scrapping and even using the cricut for letters or embellishments takes a lot more time than using letter stickers or pre-made embellishments. So, I don't use the Cricut much now, because I don't have the time.

Rhondatx
Veteran
Rhondatx
In response to Frau_Cooney

I have had the Silhouette for about a year now and love it. I use it a lot and it has definitely been worth the money. I just recently used the sketch feature and it was so easy. I also like buying the adhesive paper and making my own stickers. There is so much you can do with the Silhouette besides just cutting. Lots of fun.

Rhonda

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Rhondatx

I have a Cricut expressions 2 and a Cuttlebug. I get the "bug" out way more often. I like it because it is not electric... so very little can go wrong with it. Like someone else said... you can get the dies and embossing folders with coupons and there are dozens of companies that have dies and folders that are compatible. I have used the plastic plates for over 4 years and although they are marked from all the cutting, they work perfectly. The bug folds up making it a space saver. Happy shopping for something that works for you. We will all look forward to seeing your creations once you decide on a machine.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I noticed the last time I went to get a Spellbinders with a coupon at Joann's, it wasn't allowed, I hadn't read the fine print because it was never that way before, but sure enough it was listed in the fine print- "no dies". So no spellbinders or sizzix dies with coupons anymore- I wonder if Michaels will follow- if they haven't already?

chinagirl
Tenant
chinagirl
In response to ChansGram

TFS ChansGram, I didn't know that!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to chinagirl

Yeah, Joann's has been that way for about a year or more. I just checked a Michaels coupon and they are currently still allowing them to be used on stuff for manual die cutters.

chinagirl
Tenant
chinagirl
In response to aquabunny

This is good information to know when trying to get the best deal on dies.

RoyalScrapClub
Resident
RoyalScrapClub

Hi Storm!
A few years I had the same question. I prefer Cricut over any other die cutting machine. the machine is pretty simple to operate; at least the expression. I don't know much about E2 [2nd generation of the Expression. The cartridges are less expensive than they use to be. When I first got my machines, cartridges were as high as 69.00. Now they are on sale a lot and reasonable on ebay. Many cartridges have several 100 cutting variations of images.

In short, i vote for Cricut. Cartridges created before 2011 are best. Now they are repeating many of the older carts.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

I bought a Silhouette Cameo. I had it for almost two years now and love it. It was the first die-cutting machine I bought. At the time I just starting to scrapbook. I really like the print and cut feature. I also like the fact you can make your own shapes and use the fonts on your computer. To cut out words or titles. With the Silhouette Cameo you can get images off of the computer like Google images. Use the print and cut to cut the images.

You've to use a computer with the machine though. I bought it from amazon. I had the money for it. Since it was around my birthday I decided to treat myself to a gift to myself.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to justartguy007

If I had it to do over again, and I could only have one,,,,

I'd get the Silhouette, either Portrait or the larger one, whichever I could afford,,,,

the hand crank machines are nice, but dies cost a ton of $$,,,,,

cricuts are a wee bit easier to LEARN, but cartridges are expensive,,,,,,

I've had all 3 of those (hand crank--2 kinds, Cricut--2 kinds, and Silhouette Portrait), and I'd really go with the silhouette if I had it to do over again,,,,

having said that, I know people who love their cricuts and they work wonderfully for them,,,they buy carts on EBAY for cheap and they use the craft room,,,,,,,I also know people who have only hand crank machines, and they buy dies on sale and with coupons,,,,,

so whatever works for you!

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to CommaHolly

I love my Silhouette Cameo. Easy to use, and lots of affordable designs. You can even cut free TrueType fonts you find online with it - including dingbat (picture) fonts for tons of free images!

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 03-29-14 10:36 PM
In response to animemama

Ultimately you will need to figure out what works best for you. I have a Cricut Expression and the Big Shot. I use the Big Shot more for embossing, with the exception of the Spellbinders which I use for cutting. I do not have any of the big dies. The Spellbinders are nice because you can get a variety of sizes in one shape. I do like my Cricut, however, I still use mine with SCAL2, which is no longer an option. If not for that, I wouldn't be happy with it. I do use cartridges, but I use the SCAL2 for fonts on my computer, etc.

If my Cricut ever dies and I decide to invest in an electronic machine, I will probably go with the Cameo, or something similar. That's what a friend got when her Cricut died and she has been super happy with it. I do like my Cricut, but am not willing to invest again in Provocraft to the degree it seems you need to.

So...what did you end up with?

New Kid On the Block

If you are wanting an electric cutting machine, another thing you may want to consider is that Provocraft just came out with a new machine (Cricut Explore) that looks like it does a great job. Like the Silhouette, you can upload svg files for free and don't "have to" purchase cartridges although you may want to because there are some very cute images. There is a very good youtube video comparing the two machines here.

http://youtu.be/aox_OHb-d8o

I have a cricut expression 2 and don't use it as much as I use my cuttlebug but if there is something specific I want to create/cut like a bunny or a teddy bear, I always use it. I will be selling mine and getting the newer Explore machine as soon as I can.

jorganne
Idol
jorganne
In response to ChansGram

Try Hobby Lobby. I've bought dies with coupon before.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to jorganne

I am similar I have a sizzix BIG SHOT and a Cricut expression 2!
I rarely use my cricut! use the big shot for mainly embossing. If I had any font folders for the bs I would do that mainly.
I like the bs but the cricut is just ok.
good luck!!!
might want to try out that silhouette!!!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics