Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Closet space        (Topic#1594851)
bonprof
Idol
bonprof

Please share your ideas on how i can best use my closet in my scrap room. Really need examples of storage. Thanks!

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Diva
AmyWho
In response to bonprof

I took the rod out and put in a tall bookcase. It fits just right.

Sewflake
Idol
Sewflake
In response to AmyWho

I had to come up with ways to utilize the closet without doing any permanent changes. The rod and shelf (very sturdy) are still in place with two wire shelf unites attached to the wall underneath. Under the last shelf is a small book case and a 12x12 storage cart with pull out plastic cases.
The closet is in need of an overhaul. I have not started the process as I don't know what I want to do different. That closet will definitely be purged with new, more stable shelving put in. The weight of paper can get pretty intense!
Here is a picture before I started any reorganization, it looks a little better now but still it's the last area I want to change.

scraproom 2 view before By Sewflake

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to Sewflake

I pulled the wire shelf/hanging rod out and "installed" white cubes and other shelves. I had the sliding doors and couldn't stand seeing only one side at a time, so I removed the doors and put up a set of curtains. There's some pictures in my gallery if that helps. Hubs was tentative to the changes at first, but I think he was happy not to look at all the white shelves all the time.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to scrapchica

We don't have closets here. I wish we did. Jealous!

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to bonprof

These ideas help a lot! I will be doing this project on the summer when I am off from teaching. Thanks.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to bonprof

I have several pics in my gallery of my closet in my scrap room, I took most of the rods out and had shelves built in.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to chocolateaxel

I use those 3 drawer white plastic units to store my everything including stamps, papers, embellies etc. I have some in the closet

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to anda11

I have a good size one and took out the rod and put in the maline shelves that you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot. I also took off the doors since mine were sliders that crossed and I would lose the accessibility of the center.

I am in the middle of moving things around otherwise I would send a picture.

Scrap Hatcher
Expert
Scrap Hatcher
In response to jaxxan

I got an idea the other day from a restaurant bar. They suspended shelving from the ceiling using the equivalent of four giant metal screws. I haven't actually tried this yet--I'm waiting for Spring Break--but I plan to implement this for paper storage.

The idea is to drill four holes the same dimensions of the screws into the corners of plywood squares approximately 14" x 14". The screws will protrude from the bottom of the plywood just enough to secure with a nut. The extended length of the screw will screw into the ceiling (hopefully a stud or I'll have to use a molly fastener) to make it sturdy enough to hold approximately 8" of cardstock.

The walls of my studio are covered with frames/shadow boxes I made for displaying some of my favorite layouts, so adding wall shelves is not an option. This ceiling idea (if it works) is the best way to not obscure the existing wall d├ęcor.

Edited by Scrap Hatcher on 03-16-14 05:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to bonprof

I guessing you searched the scraproom section of the gallery. Lots of good ideas. But a lot depends on the demensions of your closet. Home depot can cut customized shelving or you can use some of the cube storage inside the closet. Some people even have a small work area inside a closet, pegboard to hang punches.

Now that my husband and I have switched offices, I don't even have a closet! I do have a large built in cabinet.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Scrap Hatcher

• Scrap Hatcher Said:
I got an idea the other day from a restaurant bar. They suspended shelving from the ceiling using the equivalent of four giant metal screws. I haven't actually tried this yet--I'm waiting for Spring Break--but I plan to implement this for paper storage.

The idea is to drill four holes the same dimensions of the screws into the corners of plywood squares approximately 14" x 14". The screws will protrude from the bottom of the plywood just enough to secure with a nut. The extended length of the screw will screw into the ceiling (hopefully a stud or I'll have to use a molly fastener) to make it sturdy enough to hold approximately 8" of cardstock.

I've seen this idea.. can't find a pic of it. It is very strong due to anchoring and the rods/wood used.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to bonprof

My dream scrap closet would have The Original Scrapbox in it... but $$$ so I dream

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Sunnydi

Here are a couple from my scraproom closet. I had to work with an existing closet storage system and an old nightstand that had no other home. I used hooks to hang things, and put the rarely used items way up high.

My Scraproom By Luvmyfam

My Scraproom By Luvmyfam

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Luvmyfam

There is a very strong shelf at HSN called Origami. It was very easy to set up...zero tools and no hubby needed to set it up! It comes in white or pewter and every shelf holds over 50 pounds making it perfect for heavy paper or punch storage. Just a thought.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Mine has my desk in it and I put peg board over top of the back wall. the shelf is for stuff I don't use often. I have 2 sets of Michaels drawers underneath my desk.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to Sneezy1956

I had a 6' closet with 2 bifold doors. Took the doors off the closet, took the doors apart and used them as 3 of them as shelving in the closet and 1 as a work surface against one wall on top of ClosetMaid shelves filled with bins and sterilite drawers. The closet shelves I filled with 2 horizontal paper dividers (as can be purchased on sb.com), sterilite drawers large and small, and stacked ClosetMaid shoe shelves on the bottom of the closet and filled them with plastic shoeboxes holding various stuff. Pretty cheap and it works for me! Also, nothing's built in so it's easy to move around.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to meezerpleaser

if you are not taking the rod out, use it! for example, you can get canvas shelves hanging down (like a shoe shelf, narrow and with lots of compartments) and use dollar store baskets for storing lighter items - powders, ribbons, flowers, enamel dots, etc etc. Don't know if it will hold heavy things like punches.
another idea is to make a clip-it-up space if the closet is reachable from your work area.

jorganne
Idol
jorganne
In response to OlesyaK.

I just took the closet out. I have 3 bookcases I use for supplies and I put them on that wall. I up purposed the shelf. Taking the closet out gave me an extra 3' x 6' in my room. Now I have another whole wall for a table that I really needed.

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to meezerpleaser

Great ideas from everyone. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics