Username Post: where did the fun go???        (Topic#1594873)
mindygail
Expert
mindygail

Hello, I obviously LOVE to scrapbook but a year or two ago I noticed I was no longer having fun!!!
I used to enjoy the process but no more I mean I still have a desire to scrap I just do not have any fun hardly!!!! anybody else going through this same thing???
mg

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to mindygail

I go thru 'dry spells' also. I find that joining a challenge or learning new techniques can be helpful to get me thru them

last year I discovered the templates/layering at an expo..and have been playing around with that.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to mjmone

Take a break. I'm currently making a quilt....got overwhelmed doing the invites and stuff for my daughter's wedding. Quilt is almost done, now I'm in the mood to scrap again.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to mjmone

thanks! I will try a challenge eventually right now I am planning on making easter egg cards and a little gift to go into a handmade paper basket (all the ideas are from the gallery) cute stuff there!!!
my issue is I cannot post any of my work bc i do not have internet so i use my apt office computer room, gotta get wi fi asap!(ha ha) take care and thanks for the compliment!!!
mg

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to mindygail

Awe, most of us know the feeling. I think we feel pressured! Don't let it feel like a Job. Change projects, add a new technique, take a break.

I can always figure out ways to take a break. I just spent way too much time painting my new scrap/office area. I need to organize. I still have 10 of those old sticky albums I need to get the photos out of and organize and scan.

I Finally used my sewing machine on a LO for the first time. I loved it! I will definitely do it again.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to CrimsonMama

Mindy, most of us have been there. You've got some great advice there.

Here's another take. What is it about scrapping that you used to love the best? The finished product? Looking through and choosing the photos? Playing with the pretty papers? Trying new things? Or shopping?

I think once you identify the parts that you like, and the parts that you don't, that might help. For example if you get overwhelmed by the design then try scrap-lifting or using sketches. If you're fed up with the products that you own, try finding new ways to use them. Check out YouTube for ideas. If you can't afford lots of new things, maybe you can get just one inexpensive new item to inspire you and rekindle the fire. Just an idea.

Does the apt office computer have an SD card slot that your camera card fits?

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to RedSquirrel

What everyone else said! Take a break, or work on a new kind of project. If you always do layouts, then do a few cards, and vice versa. Paint and cover a decorative birdhouse. Do an art canvas for the wall. Anything but what you were doing, I think. Just take a good break!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to meezerpleaser

Sometimes I feel like my creative juices leaked out of the container and I'm left with a sticky film at the bottom. I feel that way right now, in fact. But I know that its not permanent. It is something temporary and probably will change in the near future. I just know that I can't force myself to create because it just won't work. I wait until I'm inspired again.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to mindygail

I haven't gone through this yet. When I get overwhelmed, I take a break from scrapping. I wait until I am rested and renewed. I just got my very first scrap room so I am "in love" with my new space. Everytime I sit down to work, I am so happy and excited.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 03-17-14 04:20 PM
In response to bonprof

All of the above and...
lately I have been feeling the way Marfa so delightfully described...and then one day when I was at CVS printing photos I decided to print out all from 2013 that I hadn't printed yet.
What an eye opener! I realized that I was spending more time scrapping than making memories to scrap.

Since then I am spending time doing things with friends as well as scrapping. It is good to get out there and see the world too.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to GMFTS

• GMFTS Said:
All of the above and...
lately I have been feeling the way Marfa so delightfully described...and then one day when I was at CVS printing photos I decided to print out all from 2013 that I hadn't printed yet.
What an eye opener! I realized that I was spending more time scrapping than making memories to scrap.

Since then I am spending time doing things with friends as well as scrapping. It is good to get out there and see the world too.

Oh yes! Excellent point.

Exciting photos are more fun to scrap than the everyday ones - try to get out there and do something scrappable. (Is that a word? I think it is now!)

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

For me it comes in waves! I know this is terrible advice, but when I've lost my drive, I usually either start organizing my scraproom - sorting through paper, dies, embellishments, etc., and almost always uncover something that makes me want to create again. If not ... well, I go shopping! (I told you it was terrible advice!)

Edited by dwelch on 03-18-14 05:13 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.

• RedSquirrel Said:

Oh yes! Excellent point.

Exciting photos are more fun to scrap than the everyday ones - try to get out there and do something scrappable. (Is that a word? I think it is now!)

Oh yea!!! sign me up!!! take me for that two week vacation to Hawaii, totally absolutely inspirational and scrappable!!! LOL))

(with the miserable weather we are having - feels like -5C today and they say it's a WARM spell - I don't have energy for anything, never mind inspiration to scrap)...

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to OlesyaK.

yall are...awesome !! thanks that is all (mostly haha dwelch) great advice!!!I am very blessed and lucky b/c I just ordered 18 items from joann.com and the package should come in the mail today (been 7 days) maybey that will give me the umph I need to get happy about it all? btw: I found(in the gallery) some totally cute egg cards for easter and a seperate basket out of chipboard and I am combing them into our kids easter gifts to their relatives we aee at easter!!! too cute so i have been working on that some.
again- appreciate the advice yall rock!
mg

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney
In response to mindygail

It may be about what you enjoy. When I fell in love with scrapbooking it was a nice way for me to spend some time in the evening being creative. Now it has become a project that I cannot keep up with - specifically making albums for my kids. So

I recently re-thought my approach and my goal. I decided that I would simplify my pages a bit (they were already pretty simple) and really just concentrate on getting the pictures and journaling on the page. And after a weekend crop I had done 41 pages. That felt great and I wanted to keep going!

I say all this to suggest that you look at where you are now and what you want to get out of your time scrapping.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to mindygail

You're welcome! If you can figure out a way of uploading, we'd love to see what you make and leave you lots of comments.

I just thought. Do you have a smart phone? If you do, could you take photos and upload from the phone?

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

I sometimes go through dry spells myself. I often just take a break look through the gallery. Or even look at peoples layout shares or process videos on youtube. Most often it gets me back into scrapbooking.

inzpira
New Kid On the Block
inzpira
In response to justartguy007

I think its the same here in scandinavia, thats why we, in our magazine are mixing scrapbooking with DIY trying to find new ways to create and having fun, just to be inzpired and feel the joy. Trying new things and let go, one of the best things of creating should be relaxation

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to inzpira

When I am in a slump the best "fix" for me is to be around other crafters.

joshuaminh426
Resident
joshuaminh426
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I only scrap if I am in the mood or feeling energized. I don't force it. Also, I jump around from theme to theme, may be completing 2 to 4 pages of a theme and then moving on to another. This keeps my interest as I get to re-live a bunch of different memories. I don't worry that I haven't completed that New York trip or that Disneyland get together with old friends. It will all eventually get done.

I always make sure I have something fun playing in the background whether it's great music or episodes of The Golden Girls or Seinfeld playing. I also walk away every 15 minutes or so.

You might also try putting it all away and just being out in the world around you. Attending concerts, flea markets, being with family may spark you into seeing new ways to do layouts or get you motivated to snap pictures of the events you are at.

The fun will return. Just give it time.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics