Username Post: How Do You Get Better?        (Topic#1594877)
Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

How do you grow in your craft? I don't have any friends nearby with whom I can craft. So I guess that I can call myself a solitary crafter ROFL So when I started crafting I was lost. There was so much to learn! So some of the things that I do to learn and grow are to take some paid classes and watch tutorials on YouTube. I love to take the free Prima classes and every couple of months I buy a product that I've never tried before. So now I want to know what you do, what you recommend from your tried and true experience.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to Crafting Marfa

I scan the Gallery all the time, looking for things that catch my eye that I'd like to try. I join Challenges, when I can, because I find that doing that expands my horizons. And I check out youtube lots and lots. Learning new techniques is easy and fun there!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

There are techniques I would like to learn that I have not taken the time to learn but I when I do want to try something I look at artist blogs, google for videos, and Ive even ask scrapers here how they did something. People here are very helpful.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to CrimsonMama

I am picking up so much from Pinterest too!

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to scrapchica

I have watched hours of youtube, studied pics of LOs in the gallery, and met with friends who scrap. Each one has helped me greatly. And, I look forward to learning more!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to idlewoman

Scrapbook.com is my main inspiration. I don't have friends to scrap with either so I find all my scrapbook friends here.

NMscrapper
Mayor
NMscrapper
In response to olleharr

I'm a solitary crafter, also. I joined a kit club once, but sb.com has always been my main inspiration. When I see something I want to try, I study the layout for clues as to what to do. If it isn't clear, as everyone has said, there are tons of videos and tutorials out there that will teach you almost anything.

I'd have to say, though, my main inspirations are the ladies who frequent this site. They are warm, friendly and always willing to share their "secrets" with others. So if you're a solitary scrapper, you don't necessarily need to be a lonely one, lol!

Veteran
In response to NMscrapper

I LOOKED AT ALL THE CRAFT BOOKS & AND MAGAZINES.I ALSO LOOKED AT YOU TUBE VIDEOS.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

I look through books, magazines, the gallery, videos for inspiration. I collect ideas and keep them in a binder. Every couple layouts or so I try a new idea.

And it doesn't hurt that I bought 2 graphic ideas books. They are called Graphic Idea Notebook. I learned a lot of valuable art rules. That's right there are some rules that can improve your scrapbooking. We don't like to talk about rules and/or apply rules to scrapbooking but there are some art/color rules/guidelines that do work.

And part of getting better is to critique your work in progress and have the guts to stop and try something else. Or just to do it over only better, even if you have to print the photos again or go buy more paper. To get better you have to define what you think is bad and then work on improving that.

Scrap Hatcher
Expert
Scrap Hatcher
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I started scrapbooking around 2005, but a couple weeks ago I was wandering through Scrapbook.com and decided to take the "how to" scrapbooking tutorial. Great basics and creative ways to store stuff and inspire new ideas. Proof I'm not too old to learn a new trick!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Scrap Hatcher

• Scrap Hatcher Said:
I started scrapbooking around 2005, but a couple weeks ago I was wandering through Scrapbook.com and decided to take the "how to" scrapbooking tutorial. Great basics and creative ways to store stuff and inspire new ideas. Proof I'm not too old to learn a new trick!

I love that!

Challenges for me, also the Gallery here, Pinterest and scrap-lifting. I love seeing a new technique and trying to recreate it. Buying new goodies always helps too.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to RedSquirrel

I too am a bigtime solitary crafter no friends craft at all! I get new ideas off pinterst, this gallery and searching in google. well my kids aunt makes cards but she is a ...snob! (sucks)
hope you find some good ideas on learing new techniques btw i also use you tube! works great.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

I watch a lot of videos on scrapbooking, and I study a few good books I bought. Yes, the gallery is very helpful as well. And finally, I just try new things and see if it works out.

Memories4Ever
Idol
Memories4Ever
In response to bonprof

I, too, watch a lot of Youtube videos and I love Pinterest. I don't get a chance to participate in the challenges on Scrapbook.com as much as I would like because I can't always fit in the deadlines, but I do print out some of directions for the challenges and do them when I can. It gives me great ideas and lots of practice.

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney
In response to Memories4Ever

Looking at other people's layouts. I used to look at magazines a lot note the ones I found appealing, figure out why I liked it, then use that technique or design, or whatever. I use the gallery here for the same thing.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Frau_Cooney

I love watching process video's, looking through the gallery and pinning layouts I want to scraplift even if it's just one thing on the layout I like. Find a style you really like and try building it and making it your own. I'm typically a pretty plain and simple scrapper but occasionally I don very shabby chic!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

I forget to check Pinterest. Which is funny because I pin a lot of my projects there. But when it comes time for inspiration, its not one of my first places to visit. I've been trying to change that lately though :-D

New Kid On the Block

I participate in online crops and challenges from message boards. They are fun, you are part of a community, chat with others with similar interest, and I get more cards/layouts done that way.

scrappinglyn
Idol
scrappinglyn
In response to buggirl41

As some people might know i am fairly new on here , and i am a selfie on scrapbooking where i live , thats why i joined scrapbook,com , I love joining in with the challenges this month which helped me get going, for ideals i look on he gallery a lot ,
But i have also tumbled a few times , and either runied my photo,s or just stuck on how to do the Lo , so i have put it away for that evening , looked up on here and then the next nyt i went back to it and done what i wanted .

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics