Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How do I get started        (Topic#1594891)
chinagirl
Tenant
chinagirl

I am new to scrapping and when I see the beautiful layouts on here and on pinterest I get so intimidated. I have no idea where to start or how to start. My husband bought me a big shot and I was so thirlled then I realized I have no idea what to do with it...LOL Last year I bought the Blossoms and Butterflies pack to scrap my daughters firt year, I did a layout last night and it looked "okay" just not what I wanted it to look like. I am just at a loss. Does anyone have any advice?

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to chinagirl

Just don't be intimated by what you see here. Remember that every one of these great creative ladies started with a first layout. For starters, you might want to pick up a set of alphabet dies for your Big Shot so you can cut your own letters in whatever color you want. There are a lot of alphabet styles available out there by Sizzix. Look through the gallery here for ideas and check out the videos both here and on YouTube for ideas with your Big Shot. Welcome to the group - it's addicting!

chinagirl
Tenant
chinagirl
In response to dwelch

Thank you Dwelch

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to chinagirl

Everything takes time. Be patient with yourself and have fun in the proces. You are right where you are supposed to be.

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to bonprof

I suggest sketches. When I started paper placement and ideas were a big challenge. There are sketches on this site, pinterest and all over. They are great for giving you a building block to start with.

chinagirl
Tenant
chinagirl
In response to bonprof

Thank you. The 12x12 pages are a little intimidating to me because I feel as though I need to fill up the whole page. Thank you for the words of wisdom to be patient.

chinagirl
Tenant
chinagirl
In response to chinagirl

It's funny you mention that Andrea, I have a ton of sketches. I guess I need to stop and take a breather and pick a sketch and go from there. Thank you.

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to chinagirl

Your welcome. Just have fun and enjoy yourself. Part of the fun of this hobby to me is that I am always learning and growing in my craft.

Frau_Cooney
Guru
Frau_Cooney
In response to andrea m

I have used Blossoms and Butterflies for a number of layouts for my daughter's toddler album. Many of those pages have designs that you can use as embellishments (like the pink and green pages with the giant metallic swirls on them.) When I used those papers I didn't do much more than add pictures, title and journaling because the paper did the rest for me.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Frau_Cooney

Hi and welcome!

Nobody gets to designer standard overnight, but you will get there. Start at the beginning and keep challenging yourself. The first time I scrap-lifted a LO that I loved but never thought I could possibly copy, was when I produced one of my first favourite LOs. I learned about layering and proportion from it, and that was a huge lesson.

And while you're learning, enjoy the journey. That's the most important part.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to RedSquirrel

It takes time and really the more pages you create the more comfortable you will feel. So I suggest just diving in. There are so many great tutorials out there with blogs and a youtube I would take advantage of them all. They really can be helpful.

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to olleharr

If I had to do it all over again I would tell someone new to buy a collection that you really like and the matching embellishments. Cut your papers and apply your embellishments. Go a step further and check out the LO's here at Sb.com using those papers.
That should help get your creative juices flowing.
Welcome this is a great group.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to chinagirl

Also try using two or three photos on your page. You might see a lot of pages with just one photo. You don't have to follow that trend.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to creater1

When I started I felt the same way. I put my first paper in front of me, laid my pictures down, and said, "Just what I thought, I have no idea what to do!" That was about 5 or 6 years ago. To make things easier I used sketches and looked at tons of LOs on this site. I marked the ones I liked and imitated them. I still do that when I get stuck. There is no wrong or right-just do a page until it makes you smile. Then you know you are done. And remember to ENJOY it.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to idlewoman

Welcome!

If you truly are a beginner, sign up for the learn to scrap class right here: Learn to Scrapbook course

You will get regular emails with tips.

And like the others said, we all start somewhere, we find what we like and we check out the gallery for inspiration. If you like something, ask the artist about a certain technique, etc.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to corrie fan

What you might want to try is to find something you like and try to copy it. It's called Scraplifting and that's how you can get some layout you like. Just play and put paper down with pictures till you learn what you like. Everyone has their own style and you learn your style by playing.

chinagirl
Tenant
chinagirl
In response to Sneezy1956

I have finished 4 layouts. The 12x12 pattern was too busy for me, so I cut the sheet into 4 6x6 layouts. I like how they turned out, but I would love some feedback. Thank you ladies. Oh, I am going to add her name to them as well so not quite finshed

Edited by chinagirl on 03-19-14 03:49 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to chinagirl

They turned out really cute!! You might want to mat your photos; it helps them pop.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to bonprof

Yes I agree about the matting, although don't change those - they're lovely. What a little cutie she is!

Frau_Cooney
Guru
Frau_Cooney
In response to RedSquirrel

Very nice! I like the 6x6 format. You can showcase a single photo, but not have a huge page to design. I also love seeing how you used the same papers I used, but in a different and smaller format!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics