Username Post: how do I make it look... PROFFESIONAL?        (Topic#1595025)
mindygail
Expert
mindygail

ok, I have been scrapping since 2000 (first child)
and I still look ameature!!!WHY???
I made these super cute easter baskets out of chipboard and easter egg cards and little gifts (door hangers) all the paper matches and it is great I got the idea off the gallery here but they were all different ideas so I combined them all as a gift for relatives from me and my two kids!!! I go to ask my hubby/ bf what he thinks and he says respectualy nice but messy not pro looking !!!! I see what he means no clean lines used a craft knife to cut the chipboard so it does look like a teen made them!!! how on earth do I make it look pro ???? INPUTE NEEDED!!!
mg

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to mindygail

Mindy, I don't see anything in your gallery, so I can't really give you any feedback. Post some pics so we can see things.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to aubrieannie

Maybe cover those edges that you say aren't clean with some other paper or lace? Just an idea even though I haven't seen them either. Hugs

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to Cindyckj

I always sand my chip board edges this will help with that unclean look you are talking about. Just a light sand does a lot. Inking the edges of papers really helps to. I also suggest painting the edges of your chipboard. Hope this helps.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to andrea m

that is what I do too. sand and ink where necessary. But, it you want to post some picks to review we would do that....

I don't have this entire distress too kit just the tool with the handle that has the metal smoother.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Frau_Cooney
Guru
Frau_Cooney
In response to CrimsonMama

No specific advice at this point, but I can sympathize. Every time I make a cake or cupcake that I see on Pinterest it looks OK, but definitely not professional. My new catchphrase is "It looked better on Pinterest!"

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to mindygail

Make sure you are matting or double matting your photos. Keep the mats "tight" (not too big). Ink your edges; cluster your embellishments in sets of 1, 3, 5... use a variety of embellishments to add texture. Ex: a wood veneer with a flower, brad, flourish, etc. Hope this helps.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to bonprof

Is there an SD slot in the computer so that you can upload photos? It's very hard to help without being able to see things.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to mindygail

Emery boards are great to smooth those chip board edges.
and it's hard to give advice without seeing what you are doing now but a couple things do come to mind...
Are you inking the edges of your mats and photos? Neutral browns and greys work great or you could spice up your edges with white, gold, red. This simple technique adds a sense of depth.
Rounded corners Another simple technique that looks great.
Adhesive remover helps to get rid of the glue goobers
Avoid papers that look like elementary school construction paper
If you make it out of something that looks like construction paper, people will think it IS construction paper. That's why I also avoid popsicle sticks, coffee stirrers, etc.
Avoid the "sneeze".
The sneeze is when stickers or embellishments appear to have been randomly dropped on a project (as if they were sneezed onto the page). And a sneeze can also mean too much was used. Embellishments are great but there is a point where there are too many and it doesn't make sense.

Hope that helps.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I would suggest not asking hubby for his opinion anymore!

Seriously, One person's "messy" is another's "distressed" or "shabby chic." My stuff is not professional looking by any means and that is OK. I do not make my living as a crafter. I save my professional energy for the day job that I get paid to do.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Luvmyfam

I really like the quotes by "me"!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Furry and Cute

Is this the same guy you posted about a while back, that wasn't letting you have your own debit card and that you described as controlling? Because if so, I wouldn't give any regard to his opinion on your work; putting your work down and making you feel discouraged is just another way to control you.

Veteran
In response to aquabunny

Sanding and inking covers a multitude of sins! Ask me how I know!!!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Mimiof123

i will try inking and sanding there are no photos involved at all. Just chipboard bsskets with pretty pp covering them and pp covered eeaster egg cards.

thank you will try that!

(I believe it is love covers a multitude of sins)

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to mindygail

same guy and believe it or not I am mentally disabled (addisions disease- president kennedy had it ) so he does it to protect me no really he is not that bad. besides I love him!!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics