Username Post: Sewing on layouts?        (Topic#1595063)
Debra carlson
Tenant
Debra carlson

Hi all! I am looking to take my layouts to the next level. I am looking to purchase a small sewing machine. Does anyone have a suggestion for what type/brand i should get? Any good sewing tutorials?

Thanks!

Veteran
In response to Debra carlson

I have 28 sewing machines and love them all. My favorites for layouts and cards at the 3/4 size vintage Singers. I have 2 Featherweights (they only weigh about 12 lbs.) so they are very portable. If you don't want to invest that much, I would look for an older machine on Craig's list or eBay. They are much heavier than the new plastic ones like WM sells.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to Mimiof123

Whoa...28??? What do you do with all of them??

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Juansmom

Yeah, I wondered if that was a typo too! I have two but one was my grand mother's, a vintage Singer.

crazyaboutscrapping
Expert
crazyaboutscrapping
In response to CrimsonMama

There is a good video tutorial by somuchscrap on youtube on how to sew the edges and what type of needle to use etc.

tonya0508
Resident
tonya0508
In response to crazyaboutscrapping

Glad to see this, I have been thinking about investing in a machine. Sewing is one of my favorite techniques to do on my layouts. Would love for any advice or opinions on machines

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to Mimiof123

• Mimiof123 Said:
I have 28 sewing machines and love them all. My favorites for layouts and cards at the 3/4 size vintage Singers. I have 2 Featherweights (they only weigh about 12 lbs.) so they are very portable. If you don't want to invest that much, I would look for an older machine on Craig's list or eBay. They are much heavier than the new plastic ones like WM sells.

TWENTY EIGHT?

I thought I was bad.

Details? Feel free to PM. LOL! I'm curious what you collect.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Megan - ForumTech

I KNOW! I'm marveling at the 28 also!

I had read on a thread here that thin paper was hard to sew on with a machine, but I did it. I used a long stitch (8 - 10 stitches per inch) and a loose tension and was no problem. No tearing, etc.

crazyaboutscrapping
Expert
crazyaboutscrapping
In response to CrimsonMama

Be prepared to stick down the end of the thread, so that it doesn't pull through on you.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics