Username Post: Essential Tools?        (Topic#1595313)
Exit47 
New Kid On the Block

Hi all, I was wondering what tools you’d consider essential for a beginning. Obviously it all depends on the kind of project you’re working on, and everyone has a different idea of what they consider a ‘must have’, but I thought I’d throw the question out there.

I have two projects in the works – a book I’m gutting and turning into a journal, and a 12x12 Olympic scrapbook. I've got most of what I think I’ll need or that’ll make my life easier – craft knife, pick, tweezers, paper trimmer. Is there anything else that, with experience you wish you had when you were starting out?

snoflake517
Veteran
snoflake517
In response to Exit47

For me, my essential tools have been a really great pair of scissors (worth a bit of an investment), small detail scissors, fun set of pens, a good trimmer (I like my rotary trimmer), tweezers, corner rounder, and lots of adhesive. I also loving using pop dots and glitter glue (stickles).

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to snoflake517

Wow Megan, that's really comprehensive.

Exit47, I can't manage without my Cutterbee scissors, not available on this site any more but you can get them in the UK.

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney
In response to RedSquirrel

Yep. Good scissors, A few good pens in versatile colors, and adhesive - tape runner and glue dots.

See, when it all boils down to that, it makes all that stuff in my scraproom seem silly!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Frau_Cooney

A good self healing mat to work on and a cutting devise that can trim 12 inch paper. Lots of brands and choices.

Edited by CrimsonMama on 04-07-14 11:20 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Exit47 
New Kid On the Block
In response to CrimsonMama

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have most of that thankfully (I've spent rather a lot of craft supplies recently!) - but shall look into glues, as I do need better than I have.

And while I have a great pair of scissors, they're for cutting fabric, so needless to say paper is the last thing they should come into contact with! I'll have to look in investing in a craft pair too - and making sure they're not the same brand so I can tell them apart. LOL

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to Exit47

I'd HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend one of these if you do any stamping. It literally saved me from a nervous breakdown. I (very naively) thought you could look at the back of a stamp and be able to stamp where you wanted to based on that image. I know, I know~go ahead and laugh, it's okay. Needless to say, it doesn't really work that way and I was on the verge of giving away all my stamps because I was so stressed about not being able to get them right where I wanted them. This stamp positioner is easy to use and I wish I'd bought it along with the very first stamp I purchased.
Products Referenced in This Post:

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to gin1902

I have trouble positioning my stamps - gotta try that thing!!
good scissors are a must - gotta invest in some cutter bee ones some day!!!
happy scrapping!!!
mg

Exit47 
New Kid On the Block
In response to mindygail

Thinking about the scissors and I've come across a problem.

Anyone know of any good left handed scissors? And by left-handed I mean where the blades are reversed, not just the 'universal grip' (which is useless if the blades are still wrong).

I have no problem using normal scissors for everyday stuff, but for fiddly work they're a must, since seeing where you're cutting is rather hard otherwise.

Think I'll probably end up with a general pair of left-handed ones, though they're not often sharp enough...

Exit47 
New Kid On the Block
In response to mindygail

Thinking about the scissors and I've come across a problem.

Anyone know of any good left handed scissors? And by left-handed I mean where the blades are reversed, not just the 'universal grip' (which is useless if the blades are still wrong).

I have no problem using normal scissors for everyday stuff, but for fiddly work they're a must, since seeing where you're cutting is rather hard otherwise.

Think I'll probably end up with a general pair of left-handed ones, though they're not often sharp enough...

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Exit47

I hear you exit47, it is the story of this lefty's life. Its why I struggle to cut straight lines. I have been using the we r memories scissors that are pink and grey, perfect for detail cutting but they are not left handed specific.

I paid big money for fabric scissors that are for left handers so I might suggest looking in a fabric section of one of the big box stores. If nothing else, you can look up the manufacturer and see if they make paper scissors for lefties as well.

If you find one please share it, I think there is more than a few of us Lefties who would like to know about lefty specific tools.

Products Referenced in This Post:

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to Exit47

I read somewhere that the EK Success cutter bee and Honey bee scissors and the Tim Holtz Tonic scissors work for either lefties or righties. I do not know why, perhaps the size of the finger holes are the same on both blades? Not sure but it is worth a try.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Unique scrapper

Try anythinglefthanded. I'm not allowed to put a link in, but add the usual www and .co.uk and you get the idea. I've ordered a few things from there for a friend.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to RedSquirrel

A set that cuts circles. I have the CM the tonic and lifestyle crafts die cut ones.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to scrapchica

I wish I had gotten a clear scrapbooking or crafting ruler sooner. Mine is 18" long - came from the scrapbook section of Michaels and has saved my neck many times when trying to put down titles because it has grids that can be lined up with the top bottom or sides of the paper making it easy to make perfectly straight titles from individual letters.

I also love my small "x" Xyron although I used to hate it because the glue "spiderwebs" between the openings in the letters. Then I discovered the square little xyron glue erasers. I've had my eraser for years and it was cheap (so was the xyron). After adhering letters I just rub over it with the glue eraser.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics