Username Post: Just a question        (Topic#1595371)
soonerscrapper
Veteran
soonerscrapper

I'm a CNA in a nursing home and working a 12-hour shift during the day. They want me to work 12-hour at night because they don't think I'm fast enough during the day. I also take care of my grandma and my aunt pays me for it. What would you do?

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Diva
AmyWho
In response to soonerscrapper

Would it work for you to switch with your grandma's situation? I always liked working nights better, but you have to do what is best for you and your family. If they have a shift differential for the night shift, it might help you. Tough decision, good luck with whatever happens.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to soonerscrapper

• soonerscrapper Said:
I'm a CNA in a nursing home and working a 12-hour shift during the day. They want me to work 12-hour at night because they don't think I'm fast enough during the day. I also take care of my grandma and my aunt pays me for it. What would you do?

Coming from a former LPN charge nurse who's worked all shifts, I can definitely say night shift is more laid back and easier on the back. But with that, comes less staff to work the floors, higher patient to staff ratios,(more alarms to answer!) and the task of staying awake if that's not your normal body setting.

A few things to consider:

If you care for your grandma during the evening (assumably) now will someone be there to take your place if you switch to nights?

Will your work force you out or fire you if you don't switch shifts? Can they claim you weren't keeping up with your workload? Honestly ask yourself, are you slower than you should be or is the facility understaffed...as most of them are? Can you ask for a floor/unit change and see if that boosts your productivity?

Is there a loss/gain differential-wise to switching shifts? Can you afford it if there's a loss?

Do you have daycare issues that will be effected by the switch?

Can you ask for more training with a more experienced aide to maybe learn some time-saving tricks?

Once youve answered these questions I think it'll make your decision clearer.

As a side note, I am currently a night shift nurse and I wouldn't have it any other way!! No doctors, families or admin to deal with on our shift. SWEET!

Good luck!

TripleBlessed
Veteran
TripleBlessed
In response to ScrappyMama6

Teresa has some great advice. Make a + and - chart and see which side "wins". Say a prayer and ask God to give you wisdom to make the best choice.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics