Username Post: What scrapbooking means to me        (Topic#1595565)
joshuaminh426
Resident
joshuaminh426

Scrapbooking is an odd hobby for a guy. Trust me, I often get odd looks from people at various scrapbook expos. May be it's because I'm a guy in a sea of women or it's because I'm a tall Asian. Who knows? But I really do love this hobby I only came to 2 years ago. For me, I get to combine my love of photography with creating art. I love the process of putting a page together - gathering the photos, the various materials/embellishments that help bring my vision for the page together, and making a page that speaks to me.

My family thinks it's cool especially when they see the finished product and I like seeing their reactions when they realize pages have been dedicated to them. I love the idea of challenging myself to always make pages look different from previous pages I've done. I also like the fact I only get better with each layout completed.

I scrapbook everything. Family events and holidays, street festivals, concerts, my life as a teacher, everything that represents my life. It's all a document to the life I lead.

The act of creating brings me a lot of peace, comfort, and happiness. I will gladly spend my time to create something lasting and beautiful. I like the act of working with my hands and being creative and productive. I like the energy that flows through me as ideas gel and bursts of inspiration happen.

I never thought that this hobby would come to mean so much to me. It all started as a way to deal with an abundance of photos from a trip to New York City and Washington DC. Now it's an integral part of my being.

I will take the stares, the jibes from co-workers and family about scrapbooking, and the messiness of glitter spilling over a work space if it means I get to continue making this art. And yes, scrapbooking is art.

Thanks for letting me share.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to joshuaminh426

Looking through your gallery, it looks like you have a lot of fun! I'm glad that you don't let people discourage you from this hobby and from sharing your work.

Vivian Lake
Guru
Vivian Lake
In response to AmyWho

Well said!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Vivian Lake

Good for you!

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to AmyWho

To quote an old Target commercial, "SO much glitter! "

If one simply must unwind after a day of teaching (and I was a teacher many moons ago), scrapbooking is probably among the healthiest choices to make.

Thank you for sharing with us. I'm enjoying a stroll through your gallery today.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

Really love everything you shared. Scrapbooking means the world to me. I agree with everything you said!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Your photos are fantastic. I think that scraping is a natural segue from photography. It is for me, why would it not be for you? It is also a natural segue from genaology research for me. I do a lot of research and I want to put it together in an attractive way.

Women have to face it, many of the world's greatest artist, chefs, designers are men. Artistic talent is not gender specific.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to CrimsonMama

I love to see more men take up scrapbooking. It should not be gender specific as it is about memories. Wh says that only women should be the story tellers. My husband is much more entertaining to listen too.

On the selfish side, I am hoping that if more guys get into this there will be more male focused products for more ages than just little boys.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to jaxxan

• jaxxan Said:

On the selfish side, I am hoping that if more guys get into this there will be more male focused products for more ages than just little boys.

Ditto! I like having a couple/few masculine choices each year, but I would love to see more variety.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to MommaSaid

No stares or jibes on this board!!!!

Some ooooooohs and aaaaaaaahhhhhhs maybe, but no stares or jibes,,,

we have a couple guys on this board,,,,,

southern lady
Mayor
southern lady
In response to CommaHolly

GOOD FOR YOU

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to southern lady

Along with all the others, GO FOR IT! I think it is great. Scrapbooking is an art form (although some would probably not think so), so why would it be limited to women.

I have tried to get my husband to scrap with me but no luck so far. If he ever does I know he will be hooked AND be better than me. He has a better artistic eye. Maybe when we retire...

tonya0508
Resident
tonya0508
In response to idlewoman

Good for you!

Tenant

I think it's great that you do something you love and ignore any stares and jibes. My husband once decided he wanted to sew teddy bears... I loved the idea of him sewing a teddy for our first child, but unfortunately he lost interest before he completed the first one (he's Asian too, but not tall...)

scrappinmylife
Expert
scrappinmylife
In response to romawhyte

I think I inherited scrapbooking from my Dad. It was he who put together the photo albums, and journaled beautiful notes in them. I love reading his journaling, and seeing his beautiful handwriting.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to scrappinmylife

I totally agree with all of you and am so glad that, regardless of who we are, we've all found and share this hobby that we love.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam

Your gallery is lovely. What great pages.

I wish you lived near us. My group would love a man to join our scrapbooking group. Glad you found a hobby that really speaks to you.

joshuaminh426
Resident
joshuaminh426
In response to PhotobearSam

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham

I couldn't agree more with everything you feel about scrapbooking!! I took a glance through your gallery and you have some great pages!

One of my best scrapbooking buddies (designguyKory, here on sb.com) is a guy, and he is awesome! We went to a CKC event and some older ladies stepped in front of him to look through some papers, apparently assuming he was just there to hold our bags ... oh no! He is really artistic, and has taught me so many new techniques and to use products/supplies differently ... as well as being a Master Enabler!

I am so happy to see you here on the forums! Don't be a stranger!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics