Username Post: Can we make a comeback?        (Topic#1595679)
bonprof
Mayor
bonprof

Every time I turn around, someone is talking about another Lss closing. It is so heartbreaking! Do you think scrapbooking will ever really make a big comeback?

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to bonprof

i don't think so. there was a lot in Vegas few of them close and now there a few.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to southern lady

I don't think the hobby of scrapbooking has lessened any. I think the big box stores and the online shopping have caused the demise of so many LSS. There's just no way a LSS can carry the product necessary to suit everyone's needs, and they can't compete with the sales and coupons the big box stores can do. It's sad, I much prefer shopping at my LSS, they have more of the newest product and can give personalized service because they get to know their customers, so I get sad every time I hear of one closing.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to chocolateaxel

I agree, I don't think it has lessened either I just think the shopping experience is different. We haven't had a LSS in my area in years. They just couldn't compete once the big stores started getting in on the game. I also think that online shopping has changed the face of scrapbooking.....in some ways good and some not so much.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to olleharr

Do you think that a lot more people are doing digital now? That also affects the situatuon.

joshuaminh426
Veteran
joshuaminh426
In response to bonprof

When Costco gets in the scrap booking game, you know things have changed. Yes, my Fremont, CA Costco has been selling scrapbook supplies.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to chocolateaxel

• chocolateaxel Said:
I don't think the hobby of scrapbooking has lessened any. I think the big box stores and the online shopping have caused the demise of so many LSS. There's just no way a LSS can carry the product necessary to suit everyone's needs, and they can't compete with the sales and coupons the big box stores can do. It's sad, I much prefer shopping at my LSS, they have more of the newest product and can give personalized service because they get to know their customers, so I get sad every time I hear of one closing.

My thoughts exactly! I might be in the minority, but I actually prefer shopping online for my supplies. Often, I lack the ability (though I am amused that my tablet suggested "courage" when typing "ability") to get out to any store, so having items delivered to me is nice. Also, I didn't know that there was an LSS in my city for years. They closed several months after I found them.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to MommaSaid

Also, I think a lot of us have reached a point where we don't need to be shopping that much. I don't like to buy things just to buy things, I prefer to either have a purpose in mind or just really be in love with a product, so I'm just not needing the stores very much anymore.

Veteran
In response to aquabunny

I could probably open my own store, but still enjoyed the lss. Both of the stores in our small town have closed. I don't think they could match prices of the big stores, but it is so sad to me. We always enjoyed the visiting we got to do at crops and sharing ideas. You just don't get that at a "craft" store.

poi
poi 
Tenant
poi
  • poi on 04-19-14 06:25 AM
In response to aquabunny

It hasn't really lessened at all. The problem is local stores cannot keep up with the online supplies and so many people have turned to shopping online, so they are hurting. I don't think it has anything to do with scrapbooking dying out or anything. It won't ever as there is always a lot of people wanting to preserve their pics and digital scrapbooking isn't the same

ETA, I live in a fairly large town and Archivers was the last one standing. Always busy, but it is what it is

Edited by soccermom23 on 04-19-14 06:26 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to poi

We had a local stamping store go under but the lss bought them out and agreed to keep up with the companies the stamps store had and then even more recently they moved into a much larger building. So thankful to have that lss as they are so very very kind!

akeim1
akeim1 
Veteran
akeim1
In response to Cindyckj

I too have noticed the decline...walmart went from an entire section down to 1/2 a rack... my LSS closed and now there is only 1 in my entire county, and it's pretty far away. I think digital has played a large part. I'm a tactile person and like to feel the embellies and bling. digital just doesn't do anything for me. I have little choice but to shop online now.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to aquabunny

I am still buying a lot, but I am probably lazy. On line shopping is so easy, especially here. It is a delight to come home and find the pkg on my stoop.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to bonprof

I think online has hurt the last, I do try and support the one closest to me

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to CorrieW

I have really been enjoying online shopping. I can watch different tutorials that demonstrate products then click right over to sb.com or Amazon and search out the products and even pull up samples on how other people have used that product before I buy it. Then it's instant gratification by clicking a button and it's ordered. I find that I buy only what I need or really want that way too. Going to the store I end up with a cart full of stuff I just buy on a whim.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to olleharr

I think the interest in scrapping has declined. In my area crops used to packed full but now it is hard to get a roomful. Many of my friends have changed to card making and at home card parties.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to wilbur

It's a combination of all of the above. Scrap booking made a big surge a few years ago and I believevitvwas fueled by Creative Memories, the Avon of Scrapbooking. Stay at home moms getting people to sell for them, SB the result were a lot of buyers who became interested and then lost interest. That surge bought a whole lot of new companies to the market. It became saturated. Some companies grew too aggressively. Then the market got (excuse the expression) the Walmart effect by the big box stores and discounts. Not knocking that, I like discounts and shop around for the best prices.

So, Scrapbooking as a hobby did not sustain continued growth. It was a fad activity for some. As much as I love it, I was amazed at the amount of competition there once was. It doesn't add up in my mind, I would never have opened a store.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to CrimsonMama

I really enjoyed your post. I met 15 of my closest friends through Creative Memories. I agree. That was a huge loss. I don't really like the big box stores except HL. Im never going to give up my hobby.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to bonprof

The economy hasn't been kind to small niche retailers of many flavors. I have a bunch of other hobbies.....I see quilt shops closing left and right, and one of our local yarn shops closed.

If they were running borderline already, it doesn't take much of a loss of business - I know many people who are spending less on their hobbies - to put them over.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Very good points. Thanks for your comments!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics