Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: thoughts on washi tape?        (Topic#1595725)
tam7
tam7 
Expert
tam7
  • tam7 on 04-22-14 11:10 PM

I have only recently (be nice) come across this washi tape thing, i know what it is and like the look of the tapes i have seen so far but other than laying a strip here and a strip there on layouts, cards and btp projects what else can you do with it?
i haven't brought any as of yet, but will be in the next several weeks, I'm really liking the We R Memory keepers and Doodlebug Design tapes, can any of you recommend any other brads from this site? i love love love paris inspired items as well as shabby chic and bright colours, not afraid of browns either.
thanks in advance :-)

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to tam7

I can recommend it as a non craft, unofficial bandage, if you're really looking to stretch your imagination.

Otherwise, I have also used washi to cover die cut frames when the real pattern on the frame wouldn't work. You can also alter buttons, chipboard. Because there's always so much on a roll, I use it to hold a stencil in place, or even altar a stencil to change the pattern. When I'm done with the stencil I can then pull off the tape and toss. It can be a decorative book binding, if you make your own mini album.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 04-23-14 03:22 AM
In response to MommaSaid

Washi tape can be used in all kinds of ways..not that I do such a great job of it.

Go to the travel challenge and see LauriDs pocket page she created using washi tape. It is awesome.

And yes it does make a great bandaid in a pinch.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to GMFTS

There was a challenge on washi tape at the NSBD event last year. I wish I could point you at it but I can't find it. Maybe someone else who is not search-challenged can help?

Basically it showed how to use washi-tape to make pinwheels, flags/bunting, sticking it together to make patterned paper, photo frames, fringes and a bunch of other things that I can't now remember.

I've also stuck it on my possessions at crops so that people know they're mine. Oh and it's good for picking up stray glitter and embossing powder.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to RedSquirrel

Found it! Not on here, on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySt-Q87CbDM

boysmom
Pro
boysmom

it's an attractive way to hold envelopes shut.
it's great for kids projects, at my son's class we used them to decorate pumpkins for Halloween and mailboxes for valentines. It would be really easy to use on almost any altered project. I saw some Easter eggs last year that were done in washi tape.
it would look nice for wrapping presents.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to boysmom

I remember the washi challenge from last year, it was awesome! layering is fun, twisting, making into flags, layering and then punching out a shape is great. I've made flowers with washi and they look cool too (and you actually spend a lot of tape!). I've decorated kids notebooks and folders with washi. Wrapped it around the pencils and pens. I've seen it being used to spruce up white ikea childrens table.

The best colors are queen & co, MME has some nice sets. The quality varies a lot too, but you can't tell the quality until you see it on the project though: MME is see-through most of the time, but very flexible. Some of their rolls are cut off center (noticeable on the pattern roll e.g. when you have a flower and the bottom is cut off a little). Bella's washi is thick and less flexible, and solid (not see through). 7Gypsies (I think) makes fabric tapes, they are different but very cool too. Tim Holtz has a few tapes that have the distressed kind of look and go well with shabby/distressed style. Try it, you'll love it!

Edited by OlesyaK. on 04-23-14 08:32 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

angel1dot0
Resident
angel1dot0
In response to OlesyaK.

I like washi tape because it easily blends with the background as most of them are slightly transparent.

I like to use washi tape for holding items on a page, or in some cases tape over an item and cut it so it won't cover it.
I'm really bad at describing these things, but if you look in my gallery at the up up and away image there's a piece of washi that I cut to fit around the bottom of the hot air balloon.

Edited by angel1dot0 on 04-23-14 08:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

tam7
tam7 
Expert
tam7
  • tam7 on 04-24-14 01:20 AM

thank you for your help...will watch video once my daughters in bed...bring on 7:30 :-)

classiclyamanda
Diva
classiclyamanda
In response to tam7

It is so versatile and also very addicting. I have TONS of it and keep acquiring more!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to classiclyamanda

I'm TOTALLY addicted to Washi Tape. I have over 200 rolls (somebody stop me!) I even covered the light switch in my scraproom with Washi Tape.

Frau_Cooney
Guru
Frau_Cooney
In response to dwelch

I used it for the first time last night. Very mild. Just strips of it on a layout. But I like the light switch idea!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
I'm TOTALLY addicted to Washi Tape. I have over 200 rolls (somebody stop me!) I even covered the light switch in my scraproom with Washi Tape.

200! WOWZA you do LOVE it!

Ok, don't hit me....I'm just not into it. Don't know why but it's probably a good thing because I have a long list of other addictions!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to tam7

I am fasinated with washi tape and have just started using it. I notice that it has to be used selectively or it can really trash up a layout.
I use as a border or mini border. I can see myself collecting hundreds of rolls of the stuff.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to bonprof

OMG I love love loveeee Washi tape! I admit, I resisted for awhile. I didn't see what the fuss was...then a bought a few rolls. That's it...totally hooked. I use it mostly in my Smashbook

Just Nora
Idol
Just Nora
In response to DittoBabyGirl

Washi is so much fun to use. I have quite a bit and use it on cards and on layouts. I have made flowers and flags out of it before, as well as frames. Sometimes the layout just needs a piece to look completed.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to tam7

Here's a link to the layout that I did last year for the challenge....I used washi tape strips as part of my layout, I covered cs with washi and then punched out heart shapes, I made a flag with washi and rubons....

http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to kiyawinn

I like Washi but the adhesive doesn't always hold. I have heard of people having them fall off because it was never meant to be a permanent adhesive. I use it to hold dies and on cards. I have also used it on layouts but I am worried about it holding.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to CorrieW

I know right? We will have a whole generation of scrapbookers whose tape starts to unravel! Lol

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to bonprof

awesome I watched it- lots of good ideas I like the hinges and ruffles!!!
thanks,
mg

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics