Username Post: Compromising my scrapbook integrity!        (Topic#1595763)
Frau_Cooney
Idol
Frau_Cooney

So, I recently had a mold infestation in my scrap space and one of my old photo albums got ruined. I managed to save the photos and now I have a pile of photos that I don't particularly want to scrap, but need to find a way to store. So, I decided to basically just stick them to paper and put them in an album, with a small amount of labeling where I can remember what they were all about.

So, I feel a bit guilty, like I should put more effort into it, or that when I look back at this book, I will wish I had spent countless hours trying to scrap them artistically. Has anyone ever done this before and had regrets?

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Frau_Cooney

go digital
take the images (scan them if you have to) and drop them into a digital scrapbook template available from several places (example shutterfly)

A couple evening's work and you can enjoy these photos again in a hard cover photobook (you can even get 12 x 12). You can add titles, journaling, captions, even embellishments to the pages ( or add them later by writing in the photobook, adding stickers, etc.).

Continue doing your scrapbook "traditional material" but use this quick method (digital) to replace the damaged scrapbook.

And quick public service announcement, always take photos or scans of your pages so that you can replace them if they get damaged.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I feel bad for you on the mold. I would be disappointed to, but hey...you saved the photos.

First, do you feel you have to do it now? If you do, that's fine. Possibly, if you don't want to go too plain, and there is no reason to feel guilty about it, you could get some kits or premade pages to mix in and then do some simple pages with coordinating colors. You could mix in artistic 12x12 pages with divided page protectors. Does that makes sense? You could use a section of the divided ones for journaling. I totally am with you on wanting this to go fast but still have eye appeal. Don't worry about your "integrity" as you put it!

The reason I asked if you have to do it right away is that this is something I know I would have to mull over.....

I'll be interested in seeing what you decide.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof

Just a thought: have you considered putting them in a Project Life type album? I did 10 pages in one day. It's super easy, and kinda fun. I am to the point where either I scrap it, do Project life or put extras in a photo safe box. Just my spin.

Edited by bonprof on 04-25-14 10:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to bonprof

Where would the photos be now, had you not had the mold problem?

Do what makes sense to YOU. Don't feel bad.

I am in the process of 'converting' old photo albums (taking the photos out of the sticky/magnetic pages, mounting on cardstock, and putting in page protectors).
I am doing my best to leave them EXACTLY the way they were -- same color background, position the photos the same on the pages. Where possible, I'm even using the same album, just replacing the pages.

I'm doing it for preservation purposes (hopefully to protect my photos from further damage).

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

I think someone else mentioned, you could use the divided page protectors.

Scrapjanny
Resident
Scrapjanny
In response to Bxr-Linda

I don't see anything wrong with what you've already done. There's a big difference between guilt and inspiration, although they can both be strong motivators. If the pictures are motivating you to scrapbook them because their stories need to be told, or you want to be creative with them, then you could scrapbook them a few at a time in between your other projects. If it's just guilt, recognize it for what it is, take a deep breath, and move on to things that really do inspire you. There should be no guilt in scrapbooking. We have enough of that to deal with in other parts of our lives. Relax and have fun.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to Scrapjanny

I really like what you said. Scrapbooking is our refuge.

Frau_Cooney
Idol
Frau_Cooney
In response to bonprof

The no guilt really resonates! I really don't want to scrapbook these photos. They were in a magnetic album and if there had been no mold, that book would still be on a shelf, seldom touched. The are all odd sizes (I cut them to fit onto the pages) so PL won't work well.

So, I think I will dispense with the guilt and get them into a book and back on the shelf. :-)

Thanks for all the opinions!

Scrapjanny
Resident
Scrapjanny

Good for you! Congrats on coming to a decision and not letting guilt win. Have fun!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics