Username Post: gelatos?? worth it??        (Topic#1595939)
mindygail
Expert
mindygail

Hey I am really itching to buy some supplies and I want to big ttime try out the faber castell gelatos!! are they worth the money also
twinkling h20s are they great or just ok??? anything else I should mention???
thank you,'mg

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to mindygail

go with the gelatos. There are tons of instructional videos for mixed media.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to Unique scrapper

Pssst gelatostcks much cheaper and the same.

merreena
Veteran
merreena
In response to southgirl

I love both but depending on what you would like to do with them. I like the h2os because I find I have more control with the colours with it. But that's just me

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to merreena

I also have both. The twinkling h2o (set) that I have are not mists. They are in little pots and you put a dab of water on them and let them rest a few minutes before using them with a teeny pain brush. The gelatos are entirely different. If my arthritis is bad and it is hard to hold the paint brush, I know I can hold the thicker gelatos. I would put these 2 items in 2 very different product lines. I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to purchase.

KathyMcDaniel
Veteran
KathyMcDaniel
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I LOVE my gelatos (I have not try the T H2os). They are so versatile, the colors are great and there are a lot of great tutorials on youtube. I bought the big set and it has been a great investment. I use them all the time.

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to KathyMcDaniel

I would also say these are two differing products. The gelatos are more crayonlike in use most of the time, then an application of water, while the H20's are very much like water color paints. I love both equally and would not live without either, but I do a quite a bit of painting over my gelatos which I use mainly for backgrounds and quick fast color.

New Kid On the Block
In response to mindygail

What do you guys use these for?
PS I'm very new and have been seeing these mentioned lately is it mainly for card making?

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to NewbieGina

I use them for making back ground paper for Mixed Media (dylusions spray is used too) Also to color in stamps (wet paint brush on top of a gelatto and use like water color).

cinderella4282
Pro
cinderella4282
In response to southgirl

Love the gelatos. I'm not always a huge mist fan because I can't always control where the color goes. With the gelatos however, I have way more control.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to cinderella4282

Gelatos are super cool for mixed media projects. I am partial to all the Clearsnap ColorBox mists myself

DeborahM-Mom of Two
Idol
DeborahM-Mom of Two
In response to Jennifer Priest

Big fan of gelatos, they are creamy and easy for covering large surfaces. And fast! You can give the page a couple of swipes and blend everything with a watery brush. They'll work fine on paper, watercolor paper, or gessoed paper.

The Twinkling H2Os are like glitterly watercolors - if you don't like the shimmery, glittery look then these aren't for you (kinda like the look of glimmer mist/glimmer glam products).

Scrapfaire
Resident
Scrapfaire
In response to DeborahM-Mom of Two

The Gelatos are fabulous and VERY vibrant. It's so easy to use them on regular cardstock or watercolor paper. Try them out on a variety of products and they are fantastic to use with stamps and just color paper to use with your punches. Try and you will love them. Twinkling H20s I haven't tried since they've come back out. I had some years ago and they were lovely.

Scrapfaire
Resident
Scrapfaire
In response to NewbieGina

I use these on scrapbook pages for backgrounds, to color paper to use with my punches, for watercolor effects and coloring stamped images. I use them on cards as well, LOVE the metallics, I just got a gold metallic and have been so impressed. These blend so easily and I recommend getting just a small set of your favorite colors to try out, to see if you'll use them. That's what I did then I had to get a larger set. They go a long way as well so I feel like they are a great value!
Products Referenced in This Post:

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Scrapfaire

I went ahead and bought a 34 piece set bc I just knew I would like them!!! and of course... I LOVE THEM!! they are awesome! like chapstick or lipstick for paper!!!

amber77k
Tenant
amber77k
In response to mindygail

LOVE Gelatos!!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to amber77k

I have both, I think it depends on what you want to use it for and the look that you are wanting. The H2O's I have give a nice rich color with shimmer. The gelato's are creamy and you can blend them so you can create some unique looks or ombre coloring.

Uniquediva1t
New Kid On the Block
Uniquediva1t
In response to mrsrfwii

No matter which one you choose don't forget to download a coupon from your favorite craft store to use on your purchase. Hobby Lobby and Michaels both offer 40% off on full price items.

ddcmsmom
Expert
ddcmsmom
In response to mindygail

I've been thinking about trying either Twinkling H2O or gelatos, as well. I like the shiny look of the H2Os, but can you get them reliably? I've heard that there are problems with the company. Joann's sells them online only, but is pretty limited in colors. Has anyone purchased them lately?

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics