Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Taking photos of layouts..?        (Topic#1596143)
SarahEdens
Pro
SarahEdens

What kind of camera do you guys use?
What is your set up for taking pics (indoors, outdoors, etc?
What settings do you use on your camera?

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to SarahEdens

I use an slr but point and shoot works fine too.

I either take it outside to indirect light, or if there is enough light by an open door or a window, I'll do it there. Don't use a flash.

I use f/8 or so & check the white balance. I straddle the LO so I can get right over it & then I try to zoom in as much as I can so there is less distortion.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to AmyWho

I would LOVE a dslr but for now I have 2
1. Kodak easy share digital
2. Nikon Cool Pix in red

(present for xmas 2012)

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to mindygail

I use a dslr...and studio strobes. So, you can guess my other hobby! Your best bet with a point and shoot is if you can do it, do it outside. Or near a window. Overcast day would probably be best. You don't want to use a flash because it will bounce off of the reflective elements. I would hang it from something, so you shoot it straight on. I hang mine on a wall and shoot them that way.

SarahEdens
Pro
SarahEdens
In response to aubrieannie

I used to hang mine on my white floor to ceiling cabinet door, in a scrap room that had 6 six foot long fluorescent lights hubs installed for me using a tripod aimed at the cabinet. Now we are in an old colonial house. The lighting is poor, I can't take any photos near windows because all of our windows are the old fashion pane windows and give a grid pattern on everything.. i usually try to do it in the foyer with the front door open, but either there's not enough sun or so much it bleeds out everything. I guess i'll keep tinkering through the house trying to figure out the best spot to photo things.

I've tried going outside, but we are in hill country.. the wind kicks like a 3-legged ninja most days.. blows things an acre down the pasture before i finally catch up with it..lol

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I gat near a window on a sunny day, but not in the direct sunlight. If you have bright indirect natural light, it's much easier to not have shadows, flash and get the best color representation.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to CrimsonMama

Someone just asked me about this so I posted a photo of the way I take my photos that so far seems the best for me. I have a Canon Rebel XTi I don't use a flash, just sunlight.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to olleharr

I was talking about light boxes with my DH months ago. He remembered, and ordered me one for my birthday. It just arrived, 3 weeks late - and I wish he had discussed it with me first. It's big enough for me to sit inside, and takes up most of the lounge! I have no idea what I'm going to do with it.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to RedSquirrel UK

LOL! OMG! That sounds huge! I don't think my husband would have a clue what to buy either.

SarahEdens
Pro
SarahEdens
In response to olleharr

• olleharr Said:
Someone just asked me about this so I posted a photo of the way I take my photos that so far seems the best for me. I have a Canon Rebel XTi I don't use a flash, just sunlight.

I have the Xti also, what settings do you use?

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

I found I get the clearest pictures with it set in "P" program mode with ISO at 400. I also set the AV up one notch but if it's an overcast day I may need to raise that a little more.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest

• SarahEdens Said:
What kind of camera do you guys use?
What is your set up for taking pics (indoors, outdoors, etc?
What settings do you use on your camera?

Definitely no flash, ever Use natural light if you can but you can use a second light source if you want. I like box lights myself. I did a whole blog poist about video lighting but it is pretty similar lighting as what you need for project photogprahy.

I use a Canon T2i Rebel (dslr) camera. I set it on AV - zoom in on the layout, set the F stop to as low a number as you can, usually 4 or 4.5. Try to get the layout vertical if I can but if not, then I use Photoshop to stretch out the corners so it is square in the final crop.

Lighting is going to be the most important thing - you don't want any harsh shadows so 2-3 light sources are a must HTH

Veteran
In response to Jennifer Priest

Any tips on shooting 2 pagers? Do you do single pages and stitch them together? When you hang layouts, what do you hang them with?

The lighting in my house is awful! I try to go outside and usually place them on the ground and take from above, but I'm not sure that is the best way to do things.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to 1scrappymom

I take them outside and put them on the ground, too. For 2 pagers, I shoot both pages together.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to AmyWho

I shoot in my living room while doing both pages right next to eachother !
mg

Frau_Cooney
Idol
Frau_Cooney
In response to mindygail

for 2-pagers I shoot both together, then just crop around it. for that matter I crop around the 1-pagers too. :-)

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Frau_Cooney

I turn off my flat-screen monitor and stand the LO on the bottom lip. If I'm not lazy, I use a tabletop tripod, placing it on my pull-out keyboard. If I am lazy, which is most often, I just try to keep it steady. I use the 10-second self-timer so there isn't any shutter-button shake.

I do any needed editing in my graphics program. I shoot my 2-pagers separately.

New Kid On the Block
In response to mrsdriver5

Great idea .

suebird
Tenant
suebird
In response to michalopher

Thanks for the tips! Am going to try using our Canon PowerShot A4000 IS.

Diva
In response to suebird

I'm a little late with my answer but, just in case...
I simply use my iPad. No flash, natural light. I place the pages laying flat on my dinning table (it's located by the window).
I have Cannon PS and a professional camera but it's too much work for pics that are just going to be posted. Once I've downloaded them to my computer I just fix them in the same window explorer or with Photoshop if they need something more important. Usually it's just a matter of contrast and brightness adjustments.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics