Username Post: How to get motivation back?        (Topic#1596279)
Ah Jenny
Tenant
Ah Jenny

I haven't scrapped in about 6 months or so. I was dealing with my dad being sick, and then he died at the end of January. I've been buying new things to try out, looking at videos of new techniques, and checking out blog posts which people post here. When it comes down to sitting down and scrapping, I just can't do it. I sit and stare at my space/stuff, and before I know it, there's no more time to do anything.

I have a small uhaul box of pictures I got from my dad's house, and it was overwhelming to go through. I have that off to the side and I haven't touched it for a while. I have a lot of events which I am behind on, like Thanksgiving, Christmas, a birthday, Easter, and so on. I can't remember the event or time frame which I scrapped last. I am getting more and more behind, making me feel overwhelmed, which isn't helping.

So, what's a good idea to get motivation back?

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Ah Jenny

I think it's just time. This is a hobby, there shouldn't be any feeling of 'having to' do anything with it.. It may just be a phase, understandably, scrapping might be too painful at the moment or maybe you're ready to move on to something else.

I got to that point and ended up transitioning to digi-scrapping.

Take the pressure off yourself. Don't look at your stuff, do other things for a while and then have a fresh look at your stash or photos in the summer and see how you feel then.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to scrappercaz

Yes, take a break.

Or if you really want to scrap but you're bogged down with sad feelings, scrap those as therapy. Do something completely different, with no time pressure. Make a Book Of Me, and get all that sadness out. I'm sorry.

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to Ah Jenny

I am so sorry for your loss. Be patient with yourself. When it's time, your scrapping will be healing and comforting. It will happen.

heather375
Tenant
heather375
In response to bonprof

Sorry for your loss. ((HUGS)) I go through spurts where I scrap almost every free minute I have, then I'll go months without scrapping at all. I just have to be in the mood. If I'm not in the mood, I'm not happy with the outcome.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Ah Jenny

This exact same thing happened to me after my mom died. That was last July. In addition, I've had a lot of household catching up to do because of taking care of her. I still have stuff to take care of. It's been a stressful year. Now I'm getting arthritis. If its not one thing it's another.

But, I'm starting to get back into it. It's overwhelming when I think about the amount of scrapy projects I want to do. I'm finally getting things together. I painted my scraproom and got new bookcases. That helped a lot.

Miclip
Miclip 
New Kid On the Block
Miclip
In response to CrimsonMama

So sorry for your loss. Take your time, scrapbooking is meant for enjoyment..not pressure and stress. Maybe take the photos from your Dad's and do a Project Life album. It gets pictures into books fast and gives you something to look at....you can always go back and scrap them if you feel up to it. Sending you positive thoughts!!

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to Miclip

Maybe try to just group pictures/items together for pages? I do a lot of that. Just go through and figure out what you want to use. Put it in baggies. I also add the paper. This means you won't be racking your brain to create, just organizing things. Maybe that would be easier. But hugs to you.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to aubrieannie

try organizing your scrap stuff or start with your stamps. that will get the dreams started!

you can also give yourself a date to think about - When I had that problem I told myself I was going to organize so I'll be ready to scrap next fall. It really helped me to think about when I would be scrapping.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-13-14 12:57 PM
In response to wilbur

Hugs to you. I'm very sorry for your loss.

If it were me, I'd probably try to scrap something else... something lighthearted that doesn't have as much pressure. When someone passes away, it adds so much more pressure to make every layout of them so perfect. Try to ease back into it by doing something with no pressure. Maybe even something small like a card or make some fun art instead of doing a real layout.

Another thing that has helped me in the past to push through has been to do the ugliest page. Take a picture that was in your discard pile, some paper you probably won't ever use and just make an ugly page. You'd be surprised at how fun this can be and how much it can spark your creativity and inspiration again.

crystalmorse
Guru
crystalmorse
In response to Vae

I would try a challenge. They have really helped me try out different ideas and branch out.

poi
poi 
Tenant
poi
  • poi on 05-14-14 03:44 PM
In response to crystalmorse

I am so so sorry for your loss. For me it was Archivers was going out of business. Getting a lot of the things I wanted to try for cheap resparked the interest. I was out for 7 years! I still do it only sporadically (4 kids with multiple activities so not a ton of time ), but it is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. Maybe pick a few pics you want to scrap and then go look for the perfect embellishments? Have a friend come over and scrap?

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to Ah Jenny

I wanted to share that I lost my mom at age 22. It took me a very long time to go through her pictures and other things-maybe 2 years. It is so draining! Don't push yourself unless you really have to. I suggest scrapping photos not related to your loss.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to bonprof

I still haven't scrapped any photos of my Dad, and we lost him 14 years ago. Don't add extra pressure on yourself.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to RedSquirrel

I am so sorry for your loss. I went through a similar thing with my dad as well as just being overwhelmed with life. I don't know if you make cards, but that is what I do just to keep myself in the mix of creating. Also, I try to commit to at least 20-30 to being in my craftroom a week. It could be to look through papers, embellishments or clean. Sometimes there may be a pattern that will spark interest or you can make a new discovery in your space. Lastly, if scrapbooking is the only thing you like to do, perhaps scrap a 6x6 or 8x8 page. You would be surprised what that could do!! You will get back in the swing of things

tsmickeymouse
Resident
tsmickeymouse
In response to HisGEM

Sorry for your loss, I've been there before when both my parents passed. When I get in a slump I clean out my scrapbook room, I reorganize everything and it gets me excited to start again.

Ah Jenny
Tenant
Ah Jenny
In response to tsmickeymouse

Thank you all for your replies. I think I might take an hour out for myself this weekend and do a fun page, like a birthday or something. My kids help me sort through my pictures the other day, and it was fun looking at them. I really want to get back into scrapping again, and hopefully the spark will come back.

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to Ah Jenny

Good to hear!! You must take extra care of yourself during this time. Rest more, more bubble baths, go for a massage if you can, take a walk at dusk...eat cupcakes, plant daisys...the scrapping will happen. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. xo Donna

Edited by bonprof on 05-16-14 09:16 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to bonprof

gbu - GOD BLESS YOU!
everything will fall into place eventually!
I agree that scrapbooking can be therapeutic!!!
maybey start art journaling in a notebook!!!!!!!!!!!

youll make it,'mg

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics