Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Gardening        (Topic#1596353)
Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann

This is a topic for gardeners to discuss gardens of all kinds and to swap and discuss garden tips. Everyone is welcome!

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to Kaylann

I want to plant a garden that attracts hummingbirds and I'm wondering what kind of plants would be the best to attract them.

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to Kaylann

I'm not a real gardener (I have mostly perennials that take care of themselves), but have wanted to try growing scarlet runner beans. Their pretty red flowers attract hummingbirds and they are also good as both green beans and dry beans. Staked the vines will grow up to 6 feet long. They're sometimes grown on poles arranged in a teepee and they make a living playhouse for kids. http://www.rareseeds.com/scarlet-runner-bean/

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to Karen B

I have realized that hummingbirds are attracted to almost every red flower. Anyways it seems like it! But the scarlet runner bean sounds like an interesting plant, can't say I've ever heard of it though...

zbelly_32
Veteran
zbelly_32
In response to Kaylann

I just got some flowers over the weekend, and realized I DON'T have a spot for the impatients I just bought! NOOOOoooo shady spots.

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to zbelly_32

I bought some impatiens today too and I'm going to give them a try in some part sun areas...I planted them in a pot so that I can move them if they won't seem happy with me.

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to Kaylann

My impatiens aren't faring quite as well as I hoped they would. I had to move them to a shady spot!

I've been researching bird attracting gardens...I would love to have one of those...or at least put feeders and bird baths around the yard so they visit every now and then...

Cloverlady
Angel
Cloverlady
In response to Kaylann

just one hint of advice when feeding the birds if you use open feeder or larger seeds (thistle is alright) that fall on the ground you might attract the wrong kind of wildlife. I found out the hard way two years ago when my dog got skunked three times. I removed the feeders but it took awhile before the skunk learned that and stopped visiting. I found thistle is good and it attracts goldfinches which are very pretty. I have put out small bits in a plate during the day and brought in at night and that and cleaned up any spill on the ground and so far no skunks this year.

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to Cloverlady

Thank you so much for that piece of advice! I do not want skunks in my hard! They might be cute but their smell....ugh...!

How about that "sock" that attracts goldfinches? Will that attract skunks?? Or any other unwanted wildlife?

Cloverlady
Angel
Cloverlady
In response to Kaylann

I think the socks will be fine I have a metal tube type feeder which is the same concept as the tubes small holes and only filled with thistle. Thistle seeds are so small they do not seem to attract skunks the only feeder I have left is my thistle and my suet feeder so far both do not seem to attract skunks. although I have noticed this year that my one dog is always looking for leftovers in the grass underneath the suet feeder so that may have to go this year. That is what seems to attract the skunks the spilled seed but they do not seem to find thistle attractive. And on the plus side thistle attracts goldfinches which are such pretty little birds!

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to Cloverlady

I also bought some Fuchsia plants this year and the flowers fall off before they have fully opened...what am I doing wrong??

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Kaylann

This is really difficult, because so much is dependent on WHERE you live. What grows like a weed in my yard, may flounder elsewhere.

With that being said.... Does anyone know anything about trimming jasmine vines?

We have several HUGE vines along a fence. So big, they are pulling the fence down.

Last year I did a hard prune (to the woody stalks), and now one appears dead.

Dictionary
Expert
Dictionary
In response to Kaylann

Sounds like they went into shock or just bought unhealthy plants. Fuchsias like lots of water and morning sun (and not too much).

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to Dictionary

My fuschias had the morning sun and a little afternoon sun. I moved them to a shady spot but they are still losing their blooms! I haven't watered them much this year because we have been getting steady rainfall. I will try to make sure they stay watered now.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to Kaylann

I don't have a garden but I do have a very large hanging petunia plant on our front porch that is about 4 feet across and about 3 feet long and it gets hummingbirds all through the day.

I love opening the blinds in the mornings because I can see the hummingbirds.

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to dorichatelain

I don't have much luck attracting hummingbirds and I CAN"T make my Fuschias to bloom! I'm getting discouraged with it...

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to Kaylann

Do you use fertilizer? It really helps. and dead heading helps also

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann

I fertilized them when I planted them and I have been thinking I should do it again. They don't bloom so I don't have a reason to deadhead them. They get tiny buds and than they just fall off. I have moved them from a sunny spot to a shady spot and than back to a part sun/shade spot. I will fertilize them today and I really hope that helps!

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to Kaylann

I had a fuchsia last year and the guy at the nursery where we got it said to fertilize it once a week. We bought the fertilizer they sold there. he also said don't use miracle grow it is too strong for them.

I had my fuchsia on my front porch and it got the late afternoon evening sun filtered through trees and it did awesome. it got morning shade.

Which reminds me I have to fertilize my petunias, I keep forgetting. I have a drip watering system set up for it and it makes it easier for me.

good luck

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

Buds falling off your fuchsia is usually because of under watering or over-watering. If the buds fall off before blooming (even though the foliage looks healthy), that's underwatering. Also check the drainage in the pot. Fuchsias don't like to sit in water. If they are in full sun, move to a cooler area.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics