Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Using Paint Splatters on Layouts        (Topic#1596709)
SarahEdens
Expert
SarahEdens

For those of you doing this.. how are you 'controlling" the spatter? What method are you using?

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to SarahEdens

I would say no it's mainly not controlled, but I also have a spatter and drip stamp. I have used a tooth brush for paint and flick it off with my thumb. Thers no way to control it without a stamp or templat that mimics it. Its a surprise!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-06-14 04:53 PM
In response to CrimsonMama

If you practice a little, and depending on the brand, you can depress the sprayer a little or all the way. The amount and size of the splatter also varies with the speed that you press down. But mostly it's uncontrolled fun.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to stick

I'm thinking of maybe trying use a straw to achieve this effect. I do love those splatter marks.

But i'll also search for a good rubber stamp too.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Cindyckj

Actually there have been several versions of stamps, but I had mine made by a local stamp store

Straw? that is interesting, Describe how you would do that!?

Sarah, Stick is talking about spray inks I think.......that is what use mostly rather than paint.

Edited by CrimsonMama on 06-07-14 04:15 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SarahEdens
Expert
SarahEdens

I was hoping there was some secret method i hadn't yet thought of.. I've played with paint for years, and have always used a really stiff bristle brush but the result is well.. unreliable.

LOL, i'm a virgo through and through, i dunno if i can handle the unpredictability on a page .. FOILED by anal-retentiveness lol

I really like the spatter on that Inkadoo stamp above, are they two different stamps, not sure how much used i'd make of the drippy one.

Thanks for the ideas.. I'm off to research the stamp idea a little more.. I'm not a huge stamper so i didn't realize they even had any like that!

andrea m
Diva
andrea m

I use this technique with my Tim Holtz paint daubers and my Tim holtz distress stain daubers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5m55LlOEA#t =71

Edited by andrea m on 06-07-14 07:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to andrea m

Here is an example.

bmx By Andrea M

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to andrea m

I will put a straw in a bottle of mist or paint and hold my finger over the end so the ink stays in and then take my finger off to let the ink out over where I want the ink/paint to be.

It's just an idea at this point though. lol

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Cindyckj

Control? Ya... no. The only control I have is whether the ink goes on my carpet or not.

I have a cardboard box that I put my LOs in to splatter them. I decide roughly where the splatters need to be then let fly. Afterwards I turn the page in whichever direction makes the results in the closest area.

I have some Smooch Spritz bottles. To get those to splatter in the right place is easier. I unscrew it, then ping the inner spray tube against the rim, right close to the page.

But the unpredictability of splattering is what makes it fun.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

• SarahEdens Said:
I was hoping there was some secret method i hadn't yet thought of.. I've played with paint for years, and have always used a really stiff bristle brush but the result is well.. unreliable.

LOL, i'm a virgo through and through, i dunno if i can handle the unpredictability on a page .. FOILED by anal-retentiveness lol

I really like the spatter on that Inkadoo stamp above, are they two different stamps, not sure how much used i'd make of the drippy one.

Thanks for the ideas.. I'm off to research the stamp idea a little more.. I'm not a huge stamper so i didn't realize they even had any like that!

Sarah, I admit I'm anal about some things but this is one thing I've learned to live with the outcome. I will say that ant technique takes getting used to. I mostly use spay inks instead of paint and the result is always different from what I invision.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Cindyckj

• Cindyckj Said:
I will put a straw in a bottle of mist or paint and hold my finger over the end so the ink stays in and then take my finger off to let the ink out over where I want the ink/paint to be.

I think this sounds cool, I might try that

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

Yah I think I need to get some scraps out and try my self. lol

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Cindyckj

I don't even think I have a straw in the house!

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

That might be my problem too. lol

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Cindyckj

Have you got an old mister bottle you could take the tube out of? That would work the same way.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to RedSquirrel

Oh shoot! My hubby went to Subway....I should have told him to bring me home a straw when he asked what I wanted! LOL!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-08-14 05:27 PM

I guess it depends what you mean by control. Are you wanting to control the size of each droplet, or just how much gets on your page? I have made masks out of regular paper to kind of control where it goes on my page.... like covering up half the page or cutting a hole for a certain area. As for controlling how it spatters, I find that if I practice it on scratch paper it usually looks pretty similar once I get it on the real project. I play with different techniques... flicking my wrist/ rapping the brush on the edge of something/ adding a bunch of water and then letting it drip, etc. Once I find the pattern I like, I can usually get it pretty close on my real project. Also, in addition to the stamps, there are some stencils that I like as well and for me those work better with paints/gesso.

justowen
Governor
justowen

• CrimsonMama Said:
  • Cindyckj Said:

I think this sounds cool, I might try that

I like this, too!! There are all sizes of straws, so could get a variety of looks...even some coffee stirrers are just tiny straws!

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to justowen

Laziness won out today. Thought i'd just go to the dollar store and buy some but really just didn't want anyone to see me as i'm covered in poison ivy/sumac Boo!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics