Username Post: Adhesive issues...help!        (Topic#1596747)
carrie640
Veteran
carrie640

I was using the vellum tape running..the red one...the logo with the heart in it...(I can't remember the brand now!). Always liked it and used it for EVERYTHING, but I am finding now that after some time (a few years), it isn't sticking. It comes up and leaves pictures, etc flopping around. Not just that, but I was going through it like crazy and it was getting costly.

I found this photo glue stick at Hobby Lobby, but it seems messy to me. So I am not even sure if I am happy with that.

Now....RIBBON! I was using my Xyron machine to run ribbon...and I've been COMPLETELY happy with it, but I am using it like mad. I found the RIBBON GLUE at Hobby Lobby but it seems to be a tad liquid-like for me and it seems t change the color (a tad) of the ribbon...making green, for example, darker.

SO...I am looking for any suggestions for my dilemmas. Thanks in advance!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to carrie640

I find that I need different adhesives for different reasons. I only use vellum glue when adhering something see-through. Otherwise I use my ATG the most. I use glue dots for heavier items such as buttons; liquid glue for very heavy items such as metals; Xyron for intricate cuts, small letters, and ribbon. I will also use glue lines on ribbon, or glue dots or staples at the ends. I never use glue stick and wouldn't recommend it.

KathyMcDaniel
Veteran
KathyMcDaniel
In response to Luvmyfam

I also use different glues for different things. The ones I use over an over again are:
Tombow glue tape runner (it's pink and I usually get it at Michael's in a 3-pack)
ATG
Glossy accents (I use it a lot!)
Glue dots
For mixed media I make homemade mod podge. Works wonderfully and is cheap!

I was addicted to xyron runners but they are too pricey so I switched to tombow.

Edited by KathyMcDaniel on 06-09-14 06:32 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to KathyMcDaniel

I'm another ATG fan, and I second what Jen said about glue sticks - they are simply not suitable for scrapbooking. I might use them for card-making, and I've used them for those intricate die-cuts, but they don't last and everything falls off eventually.

The ATG adhesive is there for life, it seems to me!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to RedSquirrel

I use the ATG for almost everything (and it's very good for ribbon), with occasional glue dots for heavy things, the Zig glue pen (NOT the Squeeze-n-Roll version) for delicate things, foam dots when I want dimension, and the Sizzix adhesive sheets sometimes for die-cut letters - but mostly I'm an ATG girl.

Glue sticks, in general, are the devil's work.

SarahEdens
Expert
SarahEdens
In response to aquabunny

I have only ever used Beacon 3-n-1 or FabriTac...I used to beg the scrap sites i was on to carry them when i first started out..

they are a gel, so you can still move stuff around when you lay it down, if you make a mess an eraser will rub it off..

And it removes inky fingerprints off your paper..

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to carrie640

for ribbon. I use one of two things. for years. it has never come off. If the ribbon is sheer or white or very light, I use the xyron X too because it does not show through. all other ribbon I use photo tape by scrapbook adhesives brand. It is 1/4 inch. It has a backing that makes it easy to place on the ribbon. I just cut it the sie & start to peel the back off while I place it on the beginning of the ribbon..then keep adding a little more...till you get to the end. then remove the backing & put it on your item. it comes in a red tape roll or in a box. they have it at mikes, Jos, hob lob & here. I never use glue on my ribbon. I hate to get it wet.

you kept saying vellum adhesive..Scrapbook adhesives brand makes one...they have it at jos, mikes, hob lob, here
I have used their brand of the red one for my pics 7 papers. form many yrs. not one thing has come off

Edited by anda11 on 06-10-14 09:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

carrie640
Veteran
carrie640
In response to aquabunny

Looking on Amazon, I found an ATG that was $50. Is that the going rate for it????

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to carrie640

Look in the Superstore here.

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to RedSquirrel

Oh goodness no. The going rate for an ATG is much less if you check the superstore or if you have a "bigbox" store near you. (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joann's, AC Moore, etc with their coupons and sometimes specials) It should be about half that.
I too found that the "vellum" adhesive was only for " a while". Even less than that if you live in warm climates like FL.
I mostly use ATG, glue lines, glue dots and Zig pen glue for things now. The Zig pen glues do show through a bit on vellum, but hey the memory is what you are going for! If glue distracts from that, then the memory isn't really the focus.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics