Username Post: Now I Remember Why I Scrapbook        (Topic#1596861)
flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

I'm feeling nostalgic today.

After DH's visit to the doctor yesterday, we were discussing the last time he had been. Knowing it was about this time last year, I decided to look in my scrapbook. However, I quickly got sidetracked browsing through my book. I found pictures of my Father who passed away last year, pictures of my precious little doggy that I had to put down a couple of weeks ago, and other stories I simply wouldn't have remembered the details of just one short year later.

We don't have children to pass these books down to, but after calling DH over several times to look at this or that, he told me how glad he was that I record our memories.

I started working full-time in the fall, and I simply don't have the time I would like, and sometimes, it feels like a chore to do it, but now....I remember why!

What about you? Why do you scrapbook? Is it for the memories or the artistic outlet? I adore all of the artistry out there of those amazing artists among us, and know I'll never equal their skills!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to flintridgescrapper

Aw. That's a lovely story. And it's inspired me to scrap more of the stories, not just the facts.

I scrap for both, the artistic outlet and for memories. Like yourself, we don't have children to pass our books on to, but I'm working on creating our own little monster in my almost-11-y-o niece (she doesn't know it yet, but she's getting a Cuttlebug for her birthday next month) to be the family historian.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

Loved your story and sharing. First and foremost, I scrap for memory keeping, my family's legacy. My mom died when I was 23. Many of our pictures were in albums with no notes and names. The rest of the photos were in boxes. What a waste.Because of scrapbooking, my memory keeping is in order.
Now, the by product of my hobby is the creative side. I love the process from start to finish, and yes, I love the products.

I am sorry for your loss, but your grief will carve out a sacred place inside of you where more love can grow.

Edited by bonprof on 06-18-14 12:06 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to bonprof

It started out for me as a way to preserve memories but slowly I started noticing that it became more and more of a creative outlet. And occasionally it's just good therapy.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to olleharr

I scrap to preserve memories. I love the pics and journaling. Then, I learned to love trying new techniques. And it has also become therapy because it gives me such a satisfied feeling. I can begin to scrap and the world goes away. I know my page is done when it makes me smile!

auntieant
Expert
auntieant
In response to idlewoman

I scrapbook to preserve memories of everything I can in my family. Knowing that there is not one picture of my grandfather's on either side of my family, I've vowed to make sure my kids will have memories to pass down to their kids.

Expert
In response to auntieant

I started scrapping to preserve my then-newborn's memories (he's now 9...), but then it became a great outlet for me as a SAHM. I had something that would get me out of the house (and even out of town) with friends and away from my boys, so I could recharge. Now its still a little bit of both, but also just my "thing". I still love being creative with it--trying out new things with my Cameo and doing fun mini-albums like the NSBD mini album challenge.

Now I just need to get a little more caught up so I can work with my Mom & stepdad on doing a memorial album for my stepbrother who passed away recently (and too young).

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to HuskerMom98

It started with a suitcase of old pictures and my genealogy. I scrapped to get the photos seen. To get them out of the dark confines of the suitcase. But then the stories started and then it was to preserve the tales of those people. Art, to me is like breathing, so it never occured to me that I was doing something pretty but that I was getting those pictures seen. After I had scrapped those old pictures THEN I started on my kids realing that I was leaving a legacy that I hoped they would enjoy long after I was gone.

Cricutgirlg
Expert
Cricutgirlg

Its the memories for sure. If I can do it creatively that's a plus.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to southgirl

Bill and I were married in January of 2009 and immediately started travelling. Our honeymoon cruise was 46 days around South America and the last 5 years have taken us around the world twice on vacations. Actually, probably close to double that but two were actually around the world trips. Right now we are in England waiting to get on a cruise ship around Norway for 20 days followed the same day by another cruise for 14 days around Ireland followed by another cruise 2 days later an 18 day cruise from Amsterdam, Holland to Boston.

I scrap to record and document all our trips. They are for our memories and include our photos, memorabilia, post cards of places we visited, travel journals and funny stories and historical researching of the places.

My pages are not fancy or artistic like so many but they serve the purpose - to provide books that will allow us to relive our travels when we retire.

I also started scrapping the granddaughters but 99% of our books are about places we have been.

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to Henri Jean

Pictures are worth a thousand words is so true.

I have always loved looking at my scrapbooks and the memories that remind me of times long ago.

Recently my son moved to Saipan with his girlfriend. She is a native of the island.

Oddly my mother in law and her family had lived there for 4 years helping to rebuild after the war.

My husbands uncle sent him a pic of a young man from his school years that was probably around 16 years old at the time of the pic. My DH's uncle who is now in his 70's ask my to try to find this guy. Some would like that may be impossible but a very small island it is entirely possible but of course a young man in his teens then and a older gentleman in his 70's might be difficult.
As it was he shared the pic of the 16 year old to his girlfriends grandmother she respond oh that is Uncle .
They meet one another and the story was amazing. He told my son yes I new your grandmother and not only did I know her she was my girlfriend. Her brothers were my bestfriends. We played guitars and were DJ's together.
He had photos to support this. My son posted them on facebook and much to my husband and his family delight they were pics of their mother, and grandparents just before they left Saipan.
No one in the family had ever seen those pictures. Amazing that they were in color!

So my point is you never know how our pictures will some day make someone day and in this case enrich there lives.

The Uncles have all reunited after years of looking for one another.

Regardless of why you scrap for your pleasure or others one day these pics may touch even the most unpredictable person and enrich their lives.

Edited by creater1 on 06-20-14 07:44 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to creater1

That is an amazing story...how magical & wonderful!!!

I scrap because I want to remember every detail of my sons life, especially the time with his father, who is away from us right now. And then, when Joaquin is able to reunite with us...he can relive the time we were not all together.

I also scrap bc my grandma was the family photographer...upon her death, 30+ albums were stolen by a pathetic (former) family member. My childhood in pictures was taken away...so I need to record ours properly. Btw, Grandma used magnetic albums!!! Ack!

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to Juansmom

OMG Juansmom....what an awful mean spiteful dispicable thing to do. There must be some really bad karma waiting for him or her.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest

• flintridgescrapper Said:
I'm feeling nostalgic today.

After DH's visit to the doctor yesterday, we were discussing the last time he had been. Knowing it was about this time last year, I decided to look in my scrapbook. However, I quickly got sidetracked browsing through my book. I found pictures of my Father who passed away last year, pictures of my precious little doggy that I had to put down a couple of weeks ago, and other stories I simply wouldn't have remembered the details of just one short year later.

We don't have children to pass these books down to, but after calling DH over several times to look at this or that, he told me how glad he was that I record our memories.

I started working full-time in the fall, and I simply don't have the time I would like, and sometimes, it feels like a chore to do it, but now....I remember why!

What about you? Why do you scrapbook? Is it for the memories or the artistic outlet? I adore all of the artistry out there of those amazing artists among us, and know I'll never equal their skills!

That's awesome!!!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

Judy, thats a nice recounting... I started journaling more so as to leave more "story"... I have two kids and one granddaughter and hopefully someday they'll take a trip down memory lane thru my books... Especially the Book of Me I'm working on. I'm sharing things they'd never know about... fun stuff like How Did you get to and from school...

RhondaR
Idol
RhondaR
In response to Sunnydi

I absolutely scrapbook to preserve memories...I look at photo albums from past generations and it makes me so sad that they're just pictures...in so many of them I have no idea who is who or what the pictures are about---I don't want that for my kids and grandkids. My scrapbooks are intended as a legacy for them and I hope they will look on them as a prized possession and continue passing them on.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to RhondaR

Prior to scrapbooking, 7 years ago, it was a chore for me to pick up a camera, even being a new mom, let alone vacations and family gatherings. I just wasn't worried about preserving a memory. Given that history, I believe my first reason is to create something I find appealing.

I did, however, love to write stories and blog (hopefully with humor) about daily life. Given that tidbit, I absolutely scrap to tell a story.

Some of my scrapping is truly done so my son will have answers to the age old question, "What was I like as a child? " There are pages about birthdays, teeth, walking, thinking, hobbies, etc to answer that as well.

Plus, you know, I have to have something to pull out when his Prom date or serious significant other comes by. It's my job to have the embarrassing photos, right?

Edited by MommaSaid on 06-27-14 09:37 AM. Reason for edit: auto correct strikes again

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics