Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How did you get into scrapping?        (Topic#1596865)
idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman

My daughter had been scrapping for a few years and kept trying to talk me into scrapping with her. I kept saying I wasn't creative and couldn't do it. One summer she convinced me to go with her to a scrap retreat for 3 days. We had just taken a trip to NYC that December so I decided to scrap that. I bought an album and printed my pictures. She said I could use her supplies. She bought me a xyron and a package of punch out letters. As a teacher, I automatically did research on 'how' I should scrap. I printed out some pagemaps, read directions, and went to the retreat. I got the first two pieces of cardstock out, got out a couple of pictures, looked at them, and said, "Just what I thought, I have no idea what to do!" I did jump in though and with the help of my daughter and other ladies at the crop I got all of my pages done for my album. I must say I am still pretty pleased with those pages. And so began a hobby, passion, and joy called scrapbooking for me.

How about you?

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to idlewoman

That's a great story! I started scrapping about 10 years ago after my father passed away. I inherited all his old photos so I wanted to do something special with them. It intrigued me to look at photos of him when he was a boy. I had regrets for not asking him what he remembered about those photos but as I started scrapbooking them my mind began making up it's own stories. It became a wonderful form of therapy for me and spending time with his photos really helped me through a difficult time and made me feel closer to my dad. After that I decided that I wanted to do the same thing for my daughters childhood photos. And here I am today....10 years later, still scrapping!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to olleharr

Creative Memories - something tells me I'm not alone A friend was a rep and invited me to a house party.

I soon left their narrow confines through, once I realised how much more there was out there in the scrapping world and never looked back

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to olleharr

Wonderful stories! I started scrapping in 2003 when a good friend invited me to her Creative Memories workshop. She told me to bring 5 photos and $10.00. I did a page and it was ok. I escaped the phase of cutting out pictures into shapes; I believe that was before my time. I didn't have much money to get started, but in a few years i had supplies. It's only been in the last 3 years where I find myself truly obsessed. And it really is the best therapy in the world.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to bonprof

When my son was about 3 we moved out of state for my husbands job.

One day I wandered into the lss. I didn't know a single person. The owners were so nice to me. I took classes and even though now i'm divorced and my son and I have moved back home I still thank Terri one of the owners for being so nice and teaching me to scrapbook.

She's a good friend on fb now That was 10 years ago.

Sewflake
Diva
Sewflake
In response to Cindyckj

I didn't escape the confining phase of cutting your photos into shapes!! I knew right away that it was NOT for me. I think I still have those pages but hardly ever look at them and when I do I still hate them. After CM I took some classes from Brenda Arnell, oh my 14 or more years ago, and the rest is history!!

Now with grand-kids, wow, there is no end to pictures I want to scrap so they will have a story in pictures of their early years.

auntieant
Expert
auntieant
In response to Cindyckj

Well I started in 1998 after the birth of my daughter. I can look at my pages and see how far I've come. LOL. So now I just scrap every chance I get. It's sad that not a lot of lss are still open. We have to rely on big box places that don't carry all the new stuff. Or order online and pay an arm and a leg..

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 06-18-14 04:50 PM
In response to auntieant

I started with CM in 1997. Did the sticker sneeze....lol.

I am now digital ONLY.

I belong to a group on here called rockin scrappin grandmas. We scrap a challenge each month that one of us puts up. We talk a lot. We brag on our grands.. a lot.

We are looking for new grandmas to join us. There are only 9 active members. Some of us have been in a group together for over 5 years.

If you are interested come and check us out. We are under critique groups and we are NOT closed. Our gal just has to change the info.

We range in age from 45 to 75.

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 06-18-14 05:01 PM
In response to charK

Our group is found under tips & tricks.

Expert
In response to charK

I started in 2005, about 3 months after the birth of my first son. I too started because of CM, but in an indirect roundabout way--my sisters had been scrapping (CM style) for a couple of years and I loved looking through their album so I knew I wanted to do it too. But since I didn't know any CM reps I just headed to Hobby Lobby and took a beginner's class at Archivers. I can still remember the early days when I could fit everything I owned in a Crop-In-Style Jr. bag...now that barely holds my current projects!!!

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to HuskerMom98

I started when my son started pre school. A group of ladies asked me if I scrapbook. They got together a few times a month to scrapbook and let the kids play. I thought why not go and give it a try and make some friends. My son was three and he is now 14. I would say i got hooked lol.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to andrea m

My MIL and FIL had their ruby wedding in Feb 2008 and I took loads of photos. I came up with this grand idea (not sure how) of making them into a scrapbook as a keepsake for them. They were due to visit us in the May, so I gave myself that deadline, which was a bit of a baptism by fire.

I took a class at my LSS for my first page, and did the other 13 pages myself. I finished the final page the morning that we picked them up from the airport. And they loved it. They still bring it out and show it off.

That was it, I had the basic tools and some leftovers, and I wasn't going to waste them. 6 years, 260-odd LOs and over 1000 cards later, here I am.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to RedSquirrel

I had emergency surgery in 1987. After I recovered I took a trip to my Mom who lived about 350 miles from me to show her that I was well and fully recovered. As we sat around her table chatting I said I wished I knew the names of my ancestors. My Mom jumped up and came back with a memographed genealogy. It was very faded and had many errors on it, so I asked if I could take it off and retype it. When I brought it back we went over it and talked about the people and where they came from. I said at one point "I wish I could see their faces". Mom again jumped up and pulled a suitcase out of her hall closet FULL of old photos. I didn't have a computer so I took 5 or 6 pictures at a time and had them copied and put them in a pocket type photo album with wall paper sample as a background. (I knew nothing of scrapbooking at that time). But then I found decorative edge scissors and that started my journey,

A side note is one day on a visit up there I was looking at a picture of my great grandfather and asked mother is she recalled that Granny (his daughter) could stop the flow of blood by reading a verse from the bible. Mom said at one time she knew it but had forgotten it. I turned the picture over and there was the note stopping the flow of blood and the bible verse.

Edited by southgirl on 06-19-14 05:25 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to southgirl

How cool is that? And what was the Bible verse?

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to RedSquirrel

It was Ezekiel 16:6. There were 2 more but I could not read what they did nor could mother recall what they were.

Edited by southgirl on 06-19-14 05:32 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to southgirl

I love reading how each of you began to scrap. We all came into it in such different ways and fell in love with it. What a wonderfully fulfilling hobby!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to idlewoman

In fall of 2004 I picked up a Scrapbooking magazine and decided to scrap a trip to Italy taken in Feb/March of that year. My daughter in-law told me about a convention coming up (CKC) and we went together... oh my; i was overwhelmed by all the stuff and spent quite a bit of money. Haven't stopped yet: scrapping or spending money. I love this craft.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Sunnydi

I agree with auntieant I can just see that my style or my talent has increased somewhat by looking at my older layouts. I started scrapping in 2000 when my first child (son named cody) was born and have been going at it ever since!!!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to mindygail

That's a fun topic too: looking back to see how are style has changed from early years! My first pages had no backfround paper, no mats...

Resident
In response to scrappercaz

My story is the same, a friend started selling CM, and invited me along. I went because my husband thought I should "do something" with our wedding photos, so I picked out some favourites and off I went, cut them into ovals and circles and put 2 triangles in opposite corners and sneezed some wedding stickers over it, and was hooked!
That was 2001, and I have since gotten another set of our wedding photos thankfully.......

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics