Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Cricut v. Silhouette        (Topic#1597253)
runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81

I was using my Cricut Expression with my old Toshiba laptop that was running on Windows XP. Cricut Craft Room is internet based so I tried to upgrade my laptop to Windows 7 but it is just too old That Toshiba lived a good long life! And it would still be kicking if Microsoft hadn't dumped XP...

So, I moved my Expression to the office and downloaded Cricut Craft Room to my Mac OS X 10.9.3. CCR is running beautiful and my Expression is working beautifully but the Expression won't talk to my Mac :shock: Turns out, this is a "bug" that PC has been working on with Apple for.... drum roll.... more than EIGHT months :shock: I called, I Googled, I Facebooked. This is it.

The options.

1. I could sell my Cricut Expression/carts and use that money to buy a Silhouette.
2. I could buy a cheap laptop to use with my Expression. I do have a $100 GC for Best Buy.

I love my Expression but selling it and the carts would at least help me break even if not pocket a little extra cash... If I buy a laptop, I'll be out some money, I'll still have my beloved Expression, and we'll have a third computer in the house- really ain't necessary.

Opinions and feedback?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to runzalot81

I've only ever had a Silhouette (well, and my Cuttlebug) and I love it. I can't imagine being tied to cartridges. I love the variety, being able to use any font on my computer and always having the ability to download more for free. I love that the software works beeeeauutifully with my MacBook as well as our Windows 7 PC.

I am biassed towards the Silhouette, I admit freely. But you're computer savvy - I think you would love it as much as I do.

Miss Giebel
Tenant
Miss Giebel
In response to RedSquirrel

I have the Cricut Expression, the E2 and 2 small Cricuts. I LOVE them! I also have a Silhouette Portrait! I adore it! It is smaller than the cameo, it cuts 8 1/2 by 12. I love the freedom of being able to cut any font on my computer (dafont.com) and any SVG I can find on the internet or create myself (using inkscape.com).
I would definitely say to jump into the world of Silhouette! You will not regret it.

If you do decide to get a Silhouette make sure you get the upgrade to the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition software so you will be able to cut SVG's! It's around $50 or so.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Miss Giebel

I would have to buy additional software to use the Silhouette Cameo?

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman

• runzalot81 Said:
I would have to buy additional software to use the Silhouette Cameo?

You don't have to buy additional software. The basic software if comes with (Silhouette Studio - SS) is pretty good. I used it when it came out for a few years with my Craft Robo. I did get the designer edition (SSDE), but the only reason I have the SSDE is because I won it. Otherwise, I wouldn't buy it myself since I could do anything I wanted with it. The SSDE does have the ability to import svg which the basic version can't do, but there are ways around it.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to cat_woman

Cat's got it in one. You can pay out for Silhouette Design Studio, or you can use the basic Silhouette Studio for free. That's all I use. It is compatible with Macs and PCs and they're constantly upgrading it (for free) to add and improve functionality. It is SO much better now than it used to be, and I've never missed the SVG capability.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to RedSquirrel

I would jump to the Silhouette Cameo or the Silhouette Portrait. It really cool machine. I enjoy it you can also download images from pretty much anywhere on the internet. I use Google images but almost every week they have a free images on the Silhouette store you can download and use. The prices in their store for the images is less then a dollar. I had my machine for about two years now. I enjoy learning new things about it everyday.
You don't have to buy the designer edition. You can download the free software from the online store and play around with it before you get your machine. It could help decide if the machine could be right fit for you or not. I still use the free software on both my desktop and laptop haven't upgraded to the designer edition at all. Maybe someday in the future I will. But the free software I am happy with for now.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to justartguy007

I get it. I have several machines. Those cartridges are expensive and if you sell them you don't get a lot for many of them especially if they are already linked. Honestly I would save for the Silhouette ( I looooove mine). I would keep two machines because they both have great things about them. The Silhouette has easier software to use. You can get the Designer edition on sale for $35. There are so many free downloads for that software that it is worth the $35. Then you can decide if selling your machine and cartridges would be worth it.

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens
In response to 950nancy

I too have both, an expression and just got a cameo in March. LOVE IT! I still use my expression, but I am slowly selling off my cartridges. I have only about 16 carts, as I only bought them on sale and if they had more than a couple of images on them I liked. So I have pretty much been able to get what I put in them or close to it, anyway. However, if my expression croaked it would not hurt my feelings one bit as I usually go to my Cameo first anyway. I was undecided as well and what sold me on the Cameo was the "Font Factor". I love the fact that you can cut any font you can find. And believe me there are tons.

southern lady
Mayor
southern lady
In response to lifethroughalens

i just got the cameo silhouette. I like it I am use it a lot

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to southern lady

ok I have been wanting the siloutett BUT how and where would I sell my cricut expression 2??? where do you sell that ebay crafigslist??? idk but if you do want my two cents : get the cameo!!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-03-14 09:34 PM
In response to mindygail

My recommendation would be to download the silhouette software (the standard software is a FREE download and you don't have to have the machine to download it). Check it out and see what you think of it. Then at least you can make a decision having seen both.

(For the record I have a cricut expression but I switched to the cameo and I love it.)

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
My recommendation would be to download the silhouette software (the standard software is a FREE download and you don't have to have the machine to download it). Check it out and see what you think of it. Then at least you can make a decision having seen both. )

I didn't know you could do that... thanks for the information.

NicoleNowosad
Expert
NicoleNowosad
In response to Sunnydi

I am a bit biased but I totally love my SIlhouette. I was never a big diecutter before....but the Silhouette is so different.

Like the other people mentioned you are not tied to cartridges and can basically make whatever you want! There are lots of freebies out there too (on my blog there are some)

Scrapfaire
Tenant
Scrapfaire
In response to NicoleNowosad

I had an expression before the craft room, I used it and enjoyed it but after doing more research on the silhouette, I realized I'd be happier with it in the long run, and I am. Easier to make my own stuff and use fonts on my mac, and I do, I use this tool and it's been worth every penny for the cameo and the designer software.

DeborahM-Mom of Two
Idol
DeborahM-Mom of Two

• runzalot81 Said:

So, I moved my Expression to the office and downloaded Cricut Craft Room to my Mac OS X 10.9.3. CCR is running beautiful and my Expression is working beautifully but the Expression won't talk to my Mac :shock: Turns out, this is a "bug" that PC has been working on with Apple for.... drum roll.... more than EIGHT months :shock: I called, I Googled, I Facebooked. This is it.

Just wanted to mention that I'm using the Silhouette with my Mac - running X 10.9.3 right now and haven't had problems with the software.

Christy S
Tenant
Christy S
In response to DeborahM-Mom of Two

I have a small cricut but I switched to a Silhouette Portrait. I love it. I would recommend trying the basic software first, as others have. Every so often, the designer edition software goes on sale. Wait and pick that up then, if you still want it.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Christy S

• Christy S Said:
I have a small cricut but I switched to a Silhouette Portrait. I love it. I would recommend trying the basic software first, as others have. Every so often, the designer edition software goes on sale. Wait and pick that up then, if you still want it.

WM always has it for $34.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Hmmmm I don't have either one, but I kno I wouldn't buy a computer to accommodate what PC can't fix. Do you really want a second computer?

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to CrimsonMama

If you decide to go with a different cutting machine, and later decide to upgrade your software, I would also check out Make the Cut. I'm using it with my Zing, and it is probably the best cutting software on the market. It works with the Silhouette machines and a whole host of other machines (except cricuts because we know what they did to this poor independent software developer). I haven't used my SSDE since I got MTC except to export my silhouette files as svgs to cut with my Zing.

By the way - the new Zing Air is bluetooth capable and has a lot more power than the Silhouette machines.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics