Username Post: Want to start storing my stamps the best way from the start....        (Topic#1597371)
Nurse Kelly
Tenant
Nurse Kelly

I have several types of stamps: wood, clear and rubber. I have them all sitting in various drawers and have already noticed I'm not using them much because they are scattered around..

What is the best way to store and organize them? I've seen several ways people go about this: CD cases, acrylic pages in a binder, baseball card sleeves....I don't want to have to pull my stamps out of a sleeve or pocket every time I want to use a stamp then having to put it back in a pocket when I'm done with it. I like the idea of having them on a page by theme in a binder but a few questions:

1) How well do they stick on a clear sheet in a binder?

2) Do you use transparencies?

3) Do you make a stamp of each one and organize them with the stamps also?

4) How do you like the CD case thing? Do you find yourself having to repeatedly open and shutting multiple cases for stamps vs. just opening 1 binder?

Sorry this is so long, I just don't want to find myself with a bunch of stamps down the road and then overwhelmed with storing them somehow.

Veteran
In response to Nurse Kelly

I store my clear stamps in a binder in sleeves and baseball pocket sleeves, and I agree, it can be annoying pulling them out of pockets....although I do keep them in between their two sheets of plastic, and they slide out quite easily....
If I had kept them in original packaging, I think I would stand them up in a narrow box and just flick through to find ones I wanted.....anyhow.....
Re the question about transparencies.... not sure if we call the same things by the same name...here transparencies are very thin and flimsy, for use in printers and photocopiers. I would use clear binding covers which are a much thicker and sturdier PVC sheet. I have never tried it, but I would think they would stay attached to them ok.
If you stamped out the images on a piece of paper, you could attach the sheet on the other side of PVC and match up stamps on their image on the front...although they maybe reverse image doing it that way.....
I hope I am making sense......

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Nurse Kelly

I use the cd case method and like it. I don't feel like I have to open too many to the point that it bothers me at all. What made my life so much easier was to make a catalog in a binder. Unfortunately, I didn't do it in the beginning because it ended up taking me a really long time to do, even with help. At least they were already somewhat categorized. Anyway, I have them by category and then each case in each category is numbered. I used a label maker to label the spines. This way I can easily add to the catalog and the cases without messing up my system! Another thing I wish I would have done from the beginning is keep track of the manufacturer. I do now though, and even if there are a few brands in one case, I just write it in the catalog next to the image. Now I like to just look through my binder once in a while to remind myself of what I have or look at how I could use them differently.

My rubber ones are in those plastic bin things that stack and snap together. They're fairly shallow (I only have 2 layers in each) so I don't have to dig for them. They're organized the same way but I had to do a separate section in my binder for them.

I hope you find a system that works for you. I still haven't found a way to store my scraps that makes me happy.

Christy S
Tenant
Christy S
In response to AmyWho

I use the CD case storage method. The only stamps this does not work with are the wood ones. I store them by category. So for example, If I want a stamp about food for my PL pages, I can go to the section of cd's marked food and find what I want. I did a blog post with a video about my storage system if you want to take a look: http://myscrapbookevoluti on.com/around-lab-stamp-stor ag...

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Christy S

I have hundreds of clear stamps and tried the cd cases. For me, too many were just too large. I do love the way it looked though. I went to clear containers that are 8 1/2 by 11 inches. The cases come in different widths, so I could also put two layers in the thicker cases. They are organized by theme. Mine are stuck on thick coated sheets that are made for storing them this way so they do not fall off.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to 950nancy

I have also tried the cd cases. It was ok but seemed like they still took up a lot of room on my shelf and it really wasn't as easy finding the stamps when I needed them. Some of them also became stuck to the case and I ripped a few getting them out. I recently switched over to this filing system with Avery Elle clear envelopes. It unifies all my stamp sets into the same size packaging which makes them easier to flip through and find. Also the envelopes don't have that annoying sticky flap to deal with, they just slide right in and out with ease. I keep this bin on a shelf where I have easy access and I notice I have been using my stamps a lot more.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-09-14 11:08 AM
In response to olleharr

I keep mine in their original packaging, and I have them in bins. As I buy new ones, I go find the image online somewhere and download it to my computer or pin it to my pinterest board. I don't want to have to make a paper stamp index and stamp and clean all those stamps just to store them, so when i'm looking at all my stamps just to see what I have, I just scroll through all the images on my computer/pinterest board.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Vae

That's a good idea with the online images!

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom
In response to olleharr

I have my acrylic stamps in DVD cases sorted by theme. I labeled the spines: flowers, words, etc. It was hard at first to split up stamp sets but I love them stored this way and wish I had done it sooner. It is really easy to grab the case I need, stamp the image, clean it and put it away.

I tried binders with baseball card sleeves, it was not easy to keep them in the sleeves. I tried a stamp binder (cannot remember the manufacturer, out of business now) and they still fell out the top opening. I bought some other envelope sleeves thinking the flap would keep them in and that didn't work for me either. I discovered that I wouldn't use the stamps if they were stored out of site. The DVD cases are the only way I have tried that has lasted and makes it easy to use them. I also use the cases for embossing folders and dies.

My wood mounted stamps are on a shelf on the wall over my desk, I don't keep more than will fit there so far

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to MisasMom

I like ollhar's idea!!! avery elle sounds perfect for me !!!

chihuahua4
New Kid On the Block
chihuahua4
In response to mindygail

Love the ideas!!!

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to chihuahua4

I have a weird system. I put 4 inch wood trim up as "shelves" behind the scrap room door and I have sticky-note tags on the front of the wood trim identifying what's there. I stack my clear stamps in their original packaging (by theme, pretty much) and stand my wood stamps up so I can see their fronts. A very weird system. I need to use some of the suggestions on here and find a better way to store my stamps and know what I've got and actually USE them more.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to meezerpleaser

You're smart not to wait until you have accumulated hundreds. It's a lot easier to start from the first than to try to organize a large collection. You said you also have some wood ones, so I'll share this for organizing them:
Great wooden stamp storage By Dwelch
You'd be surprised at how many stamps fit into one of those little 4x6 inserts - and there are around 10-12 of them per large box. I have them stored by category with labels on the small boxes, and numbers on the large. When I want a birthday stamp, I look in my book to see what large box has birthday stamps in it. I grab that box, can see the "birthday" label on the small inserts and I'm set to go.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics