Username Post: Embossing Folders - How do they work?        (Topic#1597385)
Magpie1
Tenant
Magpie1

I'd like to expand my use of embossing, stamping and inking. I recently came across a post where someone had used an embossing folder. How do these work? Has anyone had any experiences with them, or have any tips to share?

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to Magpie1

They are plastic that has a positive and negative design the fits together when closed. You run it thru a machine to squeeze the paper to emboss. Sizzix, ebosser, Cuttlebug etc. I have seen a video where they used a rolling pin. Go to Youtube and find all kinds of tutorials.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to southgirl

I have about 40 embossing folders, so it's safe to say that I love them, lol! I make a ton of cards every month, and the embossing folders are a way of adding visual interest without adding bulk to the front of the cards.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to chocolateaxel

I agree with chocolateaxel, They are fun to use. I love using Recollection paper (it has a white core) to emboss it and then sand it a bit and the white shows thru, showing off the emboss. Inking is another way to play whit them too.

Magpie1
Tenant
Magpie1
In response to Magpie1

Thanks everyone, I will have to look into what system to invest in. I love the look of dry embossing and agree its a way to add visual interest to cards especially.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Magpie1

if I were you I would definatley consider the BIG SHOT by Sizzix!!! I asked for this from my Mother last year for xmas and once I bought some embossing folders I realized how super easy it really was !!

cinderella4282
Expert
cinderella4282
In response to mindygail

Another vote for the big shot - it works with all embossing folders, sizzix dies, spellbinders, pretty much everything. And if you go to crops it doesn't need electricity - so you can actually use it.

sassiescrapper
Veteran
sassiescrapper
In response to cinderella4282

I'm another crafter who likes to use embossing folders for my cards and layouts to add texture.

I have the Big Shot and Cuttlebug. I'm happy with both although I find that I reach for my Cuttlebug more often than my Big Shot largely due to size. The Cuttlebug is more compact and takes up less space.

Here's a layout where I used a polka dot embossing folder:
laugh By Sassiescrapper

I was trying to find examples in my gallery and apparently, I haven't been using them as often as I thought. And sadly, I never took photos of cards I made and gave away.

I recently purchased this camera embossing folder from SB.com so I'll have to find a way to use it.

Thanks for starting this thread. I didn't realize I've just been hoarding all my folders and not actually using them. LOL!

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to sassiescrapper

I misspoke on the paper to use in an embossing folder....CoreDinations is what I love...it has a lighter core and after embossing if you sand it lightly the embossing popps out.

jenniferdaisy
Mayor
jenniferdaisy
In response to Magpie1

Embossing folders are worth the money. If you have a Cuttlebug or the like buy one and try it out. I have quite a few Provo Craft embossing folders, a few Spell binder two sided folders. The two sided ones are pretty cool. I doubt you will be disappointed if you buy one or two.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics