Username Post: Printing Photos        (Topic#1597435)
tyuill1976
New Kid On the Block
tyuill1976

What is the best printer for just printing photos? Or do you just print from Walmart, Meijer, or Target somewhere like that. Or online? I'm looking to FINALLY printing my pictures!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to tyuill1976

I have been using MPIX for photo printing, love their matte finish and their shipping is great. They also do a lot of different sizes and seem to have deals going pretty consistently.

But my sister has a photo printer from Brother and she really is liking it-sadly I can't remember her model number.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to MrsAnnieS

I'm still looking for the perfect (or even half-decent ) photo printer myself, but I can recommend Snapfish for ordering prints on-line. I've used them in Singapore, Australia and the UK and have always had excellent quality, good service and if you sign up with them you get offers e-mailed.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to RedSquirrel

I gave up on printing pics at home. Even with super cheap ink from ebay for my printer walgreens is way cheaper. Especially when you catch the .09 or .10 cent sales

Expert
In response to Cindyckj

I always use Snapfish unless I need photos right away (but those are usually for giving away because I don't like the quality that my Walgreens photos have...recently tried CVS and forgot to keep one for comparison!) I was about ready to give up on SF because I was having problems with all of my prints being cut on a extremely slight angle (off by like 1/16th so they wouldn't line up right, especially when trimmed) but the last batch I got was fine...and here I thought it was my trimmers going wonky!!!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to HuskerMom98

a photographer friend told me mpix is the #1 best site out there! I went on their site and it was great! don't currently have the budget for any photos anywhere now but when I have the funds I am going to mpix!!!

scrapperbee
Angel
scrapperbee
In response to HuskerMom98

another snapfish person;

and when I am in a hurry, I pick them up at Walmart instead of having them shipped (and I do use the coupons);

the only time I print at home is when I want smaller size pictures.

Tenant
In response to scrapperbee

I have ordered from walmart online for .09/ 4x6 print and the quality has been fine. I like there Matte finish as well.
Jenn

Christy S
Tenant
Christy S
In response to jeferbrooks

I print at home. I have an Epson Artisan printer and use Kodak paper. I like that I can print any size I need and print as I go. So I never run out of pictures to scrapbook.

jennypuccinelli
Resident
jennypuccinelli
In response to Christy S

I use Shutterfly. They have great prepaid packages and you can either have them shipped or pick them up at Target.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to jennypuccinelli

I use Persnickety Prints. They are geared to scrapbookers and have all kinds of sizes. The quality is great! I just got an order and had 3x4's, 4x6's, 6x12's and 12x12's. I can order and usually get them in 2-3 days.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to flintridgescrapper

I mainly print at home because I can print any size I want. I have an Epson workforce pro WP-4590 and I use some epson papers and also Kirkland paper from costco.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to Shutterbugg

If you want want to print really good photos, you need a really good photo printer and you have to have the time and be willing to learn how to do good photo editing (color, brightness, and other adjustments), calibrate your monitor, profile the printer and blah, blah, blah. When my old Epson Photo R1800 went wonky a couple months ago, I spent a small fortune on a Canon Pro-1 and then bought a book entitled Fine Art Printing for Photographers, which helped a lot with the whole process. I felt that the expenditure of money and time was worthwhile because I'm reproducing some very old family photos with varying degrees of damage. I print with inks and papers that have been rated for longevity because I have had 30-40 year old "professionally" printed photos fade badly. With the scans of the old photos repaired and stored digitally, I am pretty sure that way in the future if and when those pictures need to be re-printed someone will be able to do it.

I think the choice depends on the ultimate goal. I know my travel albums will go in the trash when I croak so those do not warrant a lot of time and money. The family album(s), however, are for posterity, which is a very different goal.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Ms. Fit

My in store &online photo store closed. I have tried other sites. my walgreens are bad, so are my walmart ones. Shutterfly is fine pics bt I think their shipping for 100 prints is 7. I have heard about persnickety & mpix.. I just saw that persnickety. shipping is 5. flat rate up to 13 oz.
Mpix has a flat rate shipping of 3.95 no matter how many pics you get. their 4x6 & 3x5 are 29 os 24 c per print.. I am so glad I looked at their site. I had heard fab things about them being the best that photographers love & use. I am going to use them.

Frau_Cooney
Guru
Frau_Cooney
In response to anda11

I do both, print at home and print online. I use Shutterfly online and have been pleased with the photos. I don't claim to be particularly fussy, but they have always looked good to me. And I have a Canon MG6200 printer. Fairly average, easy to use. Here are some things that I consider:

Print-at-home Pro and Con:
++ Can easily choose different sizes
-- Ink is expensive
-- the software you print from can affect the quality

Online Pro and Con:
++ Print many photos at the same time with deals/coupons (Sometimes get 100 free prints from Shutterfly)
-- All 4x6 - I know it is possible to get other sizes, but I just haven't done that

Edited by Frau_Cooney on 07-14-14 07:58 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Frau_Cooney

smart girl getting a canon my friend (photographer) told me get a canon printer !!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics