Username Post: Last One Standing?        (Topic#1597453)
BCAT 
New Kid On the Block
  • BCAT on 07-12-14 01:21 PM

Hey Everyone, I am just curious I haven't been very active in the online community of scrapbooking in the last few years, but to my dismay I have almost lost every single site and resource I have used for scrapbooking in the last two years. I lost creative memories, archivers, mycanvas on ancestry.com, heritage scrap, two peas, and all of my local scrapbooking shops have closed . The only major digital resource I still know of is designers digitials and scrapbook.com. Are there any other major hubs or resources for scrapbooking left besides this site and designer digitals still in existence? My main hobby is scrapbooking my genealogy since I can trace it back to the Mayflower so I have lots of pictures going back to the Civil War. I just want to make sure that this site is either sticking around for a while, or know where I should go in case they call it quits too....starting to panic that I won't have any place to go to finish my books. And if they wanted to start carrying more heritage themed supplies it would be highly appreciated!

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to BCAT

welcome to sb.com

I don't think this site is going anywhere anytime soon.
I would love to see some of your pages.

Maybe you could start a challenge thread for specific type of geneology pages? I know there is usually a Heritage Challenge each month.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to Ladybing Tammy

Frugal crafter just asked the question Is scrapbooking dieing. She hinted that it might be because so many people leave their pictures on the digital camera and not print them out. Which has been a big contention between me and my best friend. She says that way she can always print them (or send them). Mostly send them.

RhondaR
Idol
RhondaR
In response to southgirl

As far as actual scrapbooking websites, no there aren't many left Really scrapbook.com is an amazing one stop shop...they offer everything you could need.
But if you're looking for something more you could try finding personal blogs related to scrapbooking and there are still a lot of those.

DeborahM-Mom of Two
Idol
DeborahM-Mom of Two
In response to RhondaR

I use Pinterest for inspiration more & more, because it's not just sites & local stores closing but the magazines have all but disappeared as well.

southern lady
Mayor
southern lady
In response to DeborahM-Mom of Two

welcome to sb.com

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to southern lady

hey welcome hope you love it like I do !!!
mg

Memories4Ever
Idol
Memories4Ever
In response to DeborahM-Mom of Two

• DeborahM-Mom of Two Said:
I use Pinterest for inspiration more & more, because it's not just sites & local stores closing but the magazines have all but disappeared as well.

I do the same thing. There are absolutely no scrapbooking magazines at my local craft store, anymore.

writerlady
Expert
writerlady
In response to Memories4Ever

There is A Cherry On Top and Shimelle dot com. And scrapbook.com - and Pinterest. That's about it now.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 07-16-14 05:31 PM
In response to writerlady

I don't think scrapbooking is dying but I do think that there are fewer folks doing it.
As with any craft there are folks who do it because it is trendy for a while and then there are those who try it but don't like it.
And there are merchandisers and vendors who jump on the bandwagon to make a buck and get out when the trend stalls. There are also many start ups who through bad luck or lack of business knowledge just can't hang on when the consumer dollar gets scarce.
The big chains that discount like crazy go with the trend and when the fad passes they just move on to the next trend - and actually in many ways they push the next trend - have to get we consumers to spend our money don't you know?
Sb.com does a great job of offering forums,galleries, resources as well as a great on-line shop but even here you see a branching out to other crafts.
It seems to me that there is a pretty big tent for all of us here and if we continue to support the site and store the way they support us maybe they can outlast the doomsayers and be here for a very long time.

Welcome to the site. Join in, Post your work,Share your knowledge, Join challenges and maybe start your own. Make friends and best of all celebrate our craft and have fun.

Edited by GMFTS on 07-16-14 05:36 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics