Username Post: First post- DIY enamel dots fail!!        (Topic#1597535)
New Kid On the Block

This is my first post here. I was a pea member and I'm glad I found a new play to chat and play!!

I bought some perler beads from michaels, watched several videos, and tried to make some enamel dots yesterday, but it was a fail. I tried a toaster oven and my regular oven, a glass pan and a cookie sheet, 350* and 400*, 20 to 30 minutes combinations and all failures. I only got about 10 to do right. Most of my beads ended up looking like flattened donuts with a few getting more circular but still had dimples from the circle not completly closing.

Any suggestions or tips that worked for you would be appreciated!! TIA!!

MoniL
MoniL 
Guru
MoniL
  • MoniL on 07-17-14 09:22 AM
In response to scrappingwest

I haven't seen them made with perler beads. I would try it but I don't think I have the patience, lol.
I bought some of the viva paint pens a couple of months ago and have yet to try making them with those but I see/hear of more people doing it.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-17-14 10:30 AM
In response to MoniL

There's also Enamel Accents and Liquid Pearls.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to stick

also try out viva paper pens!!!
I haven't tried ever doing any of this but I hear the viva line works great!!!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to mindygail

I've watched the you tube vids with the perler beads, but have yet to try it. (I bought them with the intent to some day try it)
I have great success with the Ranger Ink Enamal Accents one linked above,( I think they actually work better than the Liquid Pearls) but unfortunately they only come in black and white.

Tenant
In response to ChansGram

I found that I had to melt them longer then what other posters said. I started at 20 minutes but kept them in until they looked right checking every 5 minutest. all together it was 45-50 minutes. The black beads never truly melted right. I baked at 300 on wax paper on a cookie sheet.

Lal
Lal 
Diva
Lal
  • Lal on 07-23-14 09:24 PM
In response to jeferbrooks

I have made my own and they came out perfectly. I think I set the oven to 325 and baked them for 25 minutes in my regular oven. Use parchment paper NOT wax paper. The wax paper will burn in the oven. Hope that helps

New Kid On the Block
In response to Lal

Well I tried several batches and finally gave up. I read or heard on a video about them being old and not melting good. I assume that's the problem. My nephew played with them like they are meant to be and we had to melt them a little more to get them to stick right. I bought some different ones and I'm gonna try them out and see how that goes.

Thanks for all of your responses. I don't have any of the viva pens. Since those are about $5 each, it still would be a big investment purchasing a set of those. I do have the ranger enamel accents though. I may do a set of those for my black and white ones. I'll let you know how the new batch goes!! Thanks.

Veteran
In response to scrappingwest

We have TONS of perler beads, but I had never heard of baking them. Guess I need to get on youtube!

I hope yours turn out better! Older beads would probably make a difference.

I agree with Stick...the ranger liquid pearls are AMAZING!!

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to 1scrappymom

I made some and I used parchment paper and had to bake at 350 for about 45 min. The darker colors take longer to bake. I did all my light colors together and then a pan of dark colors. If they still have a dimple in them they need to bake longer.
Hope the new beads work better for you.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics