Username Post: Pocket Pages        (Topic#1597547)
Tenant

Hi! I am a traditional 12x12 scrapper. I have some scrappy friends, but several of them have stopped scrapping all but the 4 day retreat we do once a year. 2 of them have asked me questions about pocket page scrapping and since I don't scrap this way, I thought I would throw it out here for information gathering for my friends.

I have seen some videos (Shimelle) and am less worried about the scrapping part and more the shopping. Do you have recommendations on the best pocket pages, the best variety of options? Other supplies? challenges to be aware of?

Both friends are interested as they think it will help speed up the process. As you can image, if you only scrap 4 days a year, you get woefully bogged down with photos. Neither will be doing project life and may mix in regular 12x12 pages. Obviously products geared to project life will be good additions to their existing stash.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to Camanddanismom

I only started pocket paging a few months ago when I realized I wanted to document my recent move.

I am using We are Memory Keeper products and I love them. The only thing I can suggest is line up enough photos for the front and back of the pocket. Otherwise its frustrating trying to get everything to fit either vertically or horizontally. Also, I am using project life mini kits which makes it fun. The regular size project life kits are too big. Stick with the mini kits. Finally, I bought the 3x4 punch to make my own cards: not impressed. I do not recommend that punch.

Edited by bonprof on 07-17-14 05:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Expert

I like to mix in the pocket pages with my regular 12x12 pages (especially for events that I have tons of pictures for...certain holidays, trips to museums, etc.)

My go-to brand has always been WRMK because of their selection and availability, but I've stopped buying them because they are a little bit cloudy. It was honestly nothing I ever noticed until it was pointed out several times on here--and once I compared some different brands I had it was very obvious! You can still see the pictures, but now that I know it I notice it.

Now I like the SNAP brand because they also have great variety, but I also ordered a multi-pack from Stampin Up! and really like those. My only complaint on the SU ones (besides having to order them and pay shipping...) is that you have to get a multi-pack, you can't just order a 10 pack of one style. But they just started offering them so maybe in the future that will change (depending on how well they sell).

I had some from American Crafts, but wasn't wild about the quality or the variety. But I do like that they offer a 6x12 page that holds 3 4x6 photos on each side--I used that a lot in the last album I made using a lot of pocket pages.

Tenant
In response to HuskerMom98

Thank you both so much for your very helpful responses! That is too bad about WRMK. Maybe they will address that issue. The mini kits are a great idea too.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof

Check out the Project life layouts in the gallery! People do amazing things.

TFCasper
Veteran
TFCasper
In response to bonprof

I have done a few pocket pages myself and use the Project Life. I bought one of the big kits because it was on sale, and I am a sucker. lol. It has been good for me though.

One thing I found frustrating was that since I had so many cards with the large kit I didn't want to buy any more cards. Then I hit upon the brilliant realization that your 12x12 papers can be cut to fit perfectly into a pocket. All the cards are 4x6 or 2x3, so if you have a large 12x12 you want to use, cut it down the center then cut at the 4 inch marks and you have 6 perfectly sized papers. You can halve them again for 2x3 pockets. You can also round the corners if you want, which is probably easier for most people than buying the die to cut them. The paper is obviously thinner than the cardstock ones you buy, but if you have pictures on the other side it really isn't a problem.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to TFCasper

I just got into project life like 4 months ago !!
I bought project life by becky higgins originals sunshine set and a bunch like 60 pocket pages and yes I also recommend getting a small set for starters!!! btw just to let everyone know I found an awesome site for scrapbookers looking for ideas and techniques: scrapbookandcards.com!!!
It is a magazine from Canada but you can read years worth of back issues online !!!! so cool to research ideas I put it all in my little black moleskine!!! woo hoo good luck!!
mg

Tenant
In response to mindygail

Thank you so much! Some great ideas and resources.

Tenant

I'm another one who makes a lot of their own cards, but for someone just starting out I'd get a PL mini kit. You can often pick them up on sale or with a coupon. That way your friends can get a feel for it and see how they like it without making a big investment. I don't use the pockets and just glue the cards onto 12 x 12 card stock. That way I don't have the problem of trying to configure my pictures to match the pockets (and I can make a dent in my card stock stash.)

Tenant
In response to Artistic Scrapper

Ooh! That is an even better idea! Not having to buy special pages might be an even easier solution! At least it gives them yet another option. Thanks so much!

Tenant

Artistic Scrapper,
Do you post your pages anywhere?

New Kid On the Block

These are great ideas - haven't done any pocket scrapping, but started looking at it to help me get a handle on some of the events that I haven't had time to scrap.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to TxDancermom

sei has protective pocket pages that come in different sizes as well as holding pics of different sizes. You can get an 8 pack to start with.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

I started using the 4x6 photo page keepers two years ago. Now I usually do one 12x12 pretty layout and follow up with pictures in those holders.

I'm one of the people who so dislike the WRKM protectors.

I like the AC ones shown below. Here's a two page 'layout' I did using them on NSD this year. I had to think differently for sure.

NSD Challenge "Pocket Page Perfection" By Sunnydi

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to idlewoman

• idlewoman Said:
sei has protective pocket pages that come in different sizes as well as holding pics of different sizes. You can get an 8 pack to start with.

I've not tried the sei brand.. will look into it. have you tried them? and if so; what do you think of them.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Sunnydi

Great info on this thread! I stopped scrapbooking for a few years and was shocked when I saw all the pocket page products! Now, I'm thinking, why not just cut your own cards to save money -- but oh the inspiration and convenience of all the products. Makes me want to spend way too much money. But thanks, all, for the suggestions & experience.

Tenant
In response to ejmclucas

Sunnydi,
Gorgeous lo! Thanks for the heads up on SEI. I didn't realize they made those. In fact, I didn't know they made anything these days!

Thank you everyone for all the excellent advice and inspiration!

Tenant

So last night I gave it a try! I have never added an image to a post so I hope this works.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

A couple months ago I bought some pocket pages and supplies with the intention of redoing my wedding album. I loved the idea that it could maybe be a little quicker and easier, plus I could mix them in an album with 12x12 layouts that I've already done. I have not had an easy time of it so far. I get things out and try to start planning but it's just not working for me. I'm totally stumped where to start. Most of my old photos are and odd proof size so I feel I need to scan and resize them all. Great tips on this thread, thanks.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics