Username Post: New Scraproom Design??        (Topic#1597659)
Nurse Kelly
Tenant
Nurse Kelly

I have finally gotten my husband to help me design and complete my very own scraproom out of my current office, and actually going to do it from the ground up. Carpet's going, closet gutted out, wallpaper's going, etc...my dilemma....

I am completely stalled at how I want my shelving/drawers, etc...He's going to build it in the closet and also make some of it able to be pulled out if need be...Plus, I've gotten the wire cubes and made a paper rack out of that, and he is planning on mounting that to the wall in the closet because I'm not going to be going for the paper as frequently as my other supplies (stamps, embellishments, stickers, etc..). I see sooo many different styles and cannot come up with a conducive plan...anyone else have this problem when designing their scraproom? lol

Maybe just start making some shelves and building drawers and "it'll come to me"? LOL

Kelly

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Nurse Kelly

I want to get the drawers at HomeDepot—
Martha Stewart Living
Model # 0464000400
Craft Space Eight-Drawer Flat-File Cabinet

I love the four shallow drawers for all the little jars of glitter, emb. powder, etc. I saw someone in the gallery had a flat-file cabinet that she had gotten from work. I thought it was in my Favorites, but I guess not. Anyway, it looked really handy for me since I have a ton of those little jars.

Have fun and I hope your room comes together faster than mine is :>)

Nurse Kelly
Tenant
Nurse Kelly
In response to mrsdriver5

That's really nice! But, it's designed specifically for crafting, hence the high price tag. And my husband wants to build everything so it's much cheaper.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Nurse Kelly

you lucky ducky!!!! go girl !!! good luck I have my own LITTLE craft room with 3 walls it is supposed to be a "sunroom" but just bc It has a BIG window does not make it a "sunroom"
ha ha ha check out home depot and lowes get ideas from them price stuff then notice what all kinds of cabinets theyre stuff is made out of then tell that darling of a hubby!!!!
I have the same white cube that is supposed to be a three drawer cube I tried to build the darn thing but messed up stupid bf wont do it I have had it for literlaly 4-6 months and I need it !!!!!!!! sucks!!! but I do have some money now so I plan on going to amazon and going to mpix and developing 60.00 worth of photos oh yeah baby!!!!!!!!! woo hoo all done sorry for the long vent.
mg

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to mindygail

Nurse Kelly...if you find storage pieces that fit your needs at Home Depot, Lowes or Ikea...or wherever, your husband could still build them with those ideas in mind. It's as easy to make a shallow drawer as a deep one :>) We're DIYs also and most of my craft room already has hubby-built cabinets, but I really like that one from HD and I have the hubs busy enough, so I might just order it...and "let" him put it together for me We turned the whole wall of closets into craft storage in the used-to-be-the-boys'-bedr oom...and it's all full!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Also, Nurse Kelly, I just read your profile and see that you're fairly new to scrapping. Just a word of advice...all scrapping supplies are very prone to multiplying, so plan your storage accordingly. Just like your mom may have originally bought items for one child, she was probably amazed at how many things she ended out having for the eleven of you :>) Scrappy items are the same~ Figure out what you have now, then multiply it by a gazillion.~Judy

mindygail
Expert
mindygail

good tip!!!! soooo true!!!
mg

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-23-14 08:57 PM
In response to mindygail

We moved into our house a bit more than a year ago and it would be my first time to have my own craft room. To help me plan, I did two layouts and paid attention to what my natural pattern was. I learned that I prefer to go to the tools than to bring them all onto my main desk.I wrote down things I used for each and figured out which order I typically do things in. So I have stations set up for cutting, stamping, etc. While I was looking into this, I was looking at everyone else's room and realizing how different my style is from theirs. If you can go through your process... even just pretend process it will help you figure it what goes where. And it's just about making sure you have enough space for your stuff as your hobby grows. I've already got that issue at year 1 lol.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Vae

When I gutted my scraproom and started from scratch I followed the get organized class here on sb.com, it gave tons of ideas on how to store and organize, also ways to plan a head for starting with a completely blank space.

Also like Vae said, knowing how you scrap is a huge help. Do you need all your stamps within arms reach-or are you ok getting up to get a box, what tools do you reach for the most and want to keep close.

Troll the gallery also, look at designs and storage you like and see if you can incorporate that into your space. Having hubby there to build it all for you is going to be a huge help-and money saver. Also makes it much easier to customize your space and shelving.

Biggest piece of advice I can give is don't rush into it, take your time and draw ideas out-get on pinterest and keep track of ideas you love and have so much fun with the process though-it will be worth it in the end!

Cloverlady
Queen
Cloverlady
In response to MrsAnnieS

Definatly think about how you scrap. Try to think about where you would like things and what would be the easiest for you when you are scrapping. Peruse the gallery and see what works with your style. And as many said plan for your scrap stash muliplying! That is so cool your husband is going to build your room for you what a great guy!

Nurse Kelly
Tenant
Nurse Kelly
In response to Cloverlady

Yeah, he's wonderful for doing this for me. Even gone as far as putting new outlets and lighting in my closet! Haven't decided what flooring I want yet though. I'm probably going to my local Ollies for some laminate or something like that. Right now I have dark green carpet that's gotta go. It matches the sunflower theme of the room but I'm soo over that! LOL

I have gone on Pinterest and "pinned" several designs so I can take a piece from this one and a piece from that one so my husband has an idea of what I want. He's going to make drawers for me in different depths to accommodate punches, cutters, etc..I do like to have some things within reach (stamps, scissors, embellishments, Stickles etc..). Good ideas ladies, thanks!

Kelly

Edited by Nurse Kelly on 07-24-14 08:26 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics