Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Online Book Club        (Topic#1597677)
Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann

I thought that having an online book club sounded like a good idea. This is a way for us to connect with readers who enjoy the same reading material. It's going to be very simple and hopefully all of you who join will find it enjoyable. Every month there will be a new book to read. I am only going to give a new book once a month so none of us feel the need to hurry through a book. As we go through the book we will share our thoughts on the book, phrases that jumped out at us, scenes that captured our attention, characters that we fall in love with...anything that makes the book captivating.

Everyone is welcome!

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to Kaylann

Books take you to a different world By Kaylann

sassiescrapper
Pro
sassiescrapper
In response to Kaylann

What is your book suggestion for August? I'm going to Deborah Harkness' book signing tonight so I'll probably try and read the entire trilogy (if I have time).

Or, since I'm going camping later in August, I may take "wild" to read.

And I've been hearing good things about the "outlander" series.

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to sassiescrapper

I have never read Deborah Harkness. What type of writing does she write?

Okay my book suggestion for August is "Shades of Blue" by Karen Kingsbury. She is one of my favorite authors and I think everyone should try her.

Thanks so much for joining me Sassie (is it okay if I call you that?)

sassiescrapper
Pro
sassiescrapper
In response to Kaylann

Hi Kaylann - yes, you can call me sassie. No one ever called me that on 2peas but I've already had you and Mindygail call me that recently here on SB.com. I kind of like it.

I'm not sure what kind of genre you like but Deborah Harkness' books are classified as paranormal fantasy but I just consider it fiction, maybe historical fiction since she weaves in a lot of history and art. I liken it to Twilight but for grown-ups. The main characters are in their 30s. And interesting side note - the author is a professor at USC.

I'll have to try your suggestion. I'm game for August. I hope we get some more takers.

I would like to read the Outlander series though. I've been hearing a lot of buzz about it and Starz is airing the series starting around 8/8. I watched their White Queen series which was based on Philippa Gregory's series. That was good.

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann

I have seen a lot of members join lately that come from 2peas but I'm not familiar with 2peas. What was it about?

I have a friend who likes paranormal fantasy. I will have to suggest Deborah Harkness to her. Or ask her if she has read her. I'm more of the Christian Romance type. But I have been known to enjoy some paranormal genres. Is the Outlander series by Deborah Harkness?

I also hope we get more takers. It will be fun to get to know other readers.

sassiescrapper
Pro
sassiescrapper
In response to Kaylann

2peas was another scrapbooking website. I really enjoyed it because they had a design team and offered a lot of free online videos and classes. Quite a few people uploaded projects and I was just used to the site. Maneuverability and search functions were different. The site shut done recently so a lot of us have had to try to find new homes.

Their forums were very active. They also had a NSBR forum as well as FSOT (for sale or trade) forum. That may have been their undoing as they were also an online store.

Anyway, the Outlander series is NOT by Deborah Harkness but I've been hearing a lot of buzz about it.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-01-14 09:03 PM

I think this is a great idea! I will probably sit out August just because I'm not a fan of Karen K. but I'll check back for September Awesome suggestion!

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to Vae

Welcome Vae...even if your not joining us for August your welcome for September.

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to Kaylann

Haven't yet had time to start my book...actually I haven't had time to pick it up yet...I have one but one of my friends borrowed it. I will have to check it out of the library if I don't get mine back soon.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-07-14 05:26 PM
In response to Kaylann

Oh I hope you can get it back soon! Do you have an eReader or do you prefer "real" books?

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to Vae

I prefer the paperback books. I can get comfortable in bed with them and my eyes don't start hurting...

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-09-14 09:55 PM
In response to Kaylann

I know what you mean. I didn't realize how much eye strain I had until I got the kindle that I have now... the non glare one. It's really helped a lot (unless you count me being able to stay up till 4 reading when I have to be up at 6 for work... lol).

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to Vae

Yeah that is often the problem. We keep telling ourselves, "One more chapter" that chapter turns into two, than three, until the book is finished. Then the next day I regret finishing it because it was so good I wanted to take my time with it!

sassiescrapper
Pro
sassiescrapper
In response to Kaylann

Another physical book reader here. We have a kindle and an iPad but I prefer the act of holding a physical book to an e-reader. Another reason why I don't listen to audiobooks. But my husband loves reading on our gadgets or his phone.

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann

Yes Sassie!

Edited by Kaylann on 08-13-14 08:34 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to Kaylann

JCI...I got my book back today so I will start the book "Shades of Blue" hopefully today.

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to Kaylann

I've finished the first chapter of the book. It's been quite a while since I've read it and it all seems new to me...I hope you connect with the characters as much as I always do.

Kaylann
Diva
Kaylann
In response to Kaylann

I have finished my book. The first time that I read it I was young and I hadn't gone through some of the things that I have now gone through now. The characters that really got to me from this book were Laura and her friends. I had a friend like that and I loved her. We used to tell each other everything and I thought we would never grow apart. I thought we would grow up together, celebrate our weddings and just be friends forever. However it didn't work out that way. We grew apart over a misunderstanding and even though it's been almost a year, it still hurts. I still want to pick up the phone and call her, talk to her and I still want to go visit her but unfortunately I can't.

There also used to be a time that I judged anyone who had an abortion. However, I believe that there are many people out there like Emma and Brad. They are young and instead of people offering to help them out, pointing them to counseling sessions that will help them deal with being teen parents they point them to an abortion clinic. In that clinic they never called it an abortion, they called it a procedure. My opinion...they don't call it an abortion because deep down they KNOW it's wrong. I don't understand why some people thing that a baby upon conception is no baby. I don't judge them anymore I just hope that someday they will find the peace and forgiveness that Emma and Brad found. It is not for me to judge. Every baby is part of God's plan.

What brought tears to my eyes is the love that Brad and Emma shared and lost because of their decision. Someday I pray that I will find such a love that Brad and Emma shared and later Brad and Laura.

elizabeth_C
Veteran
elizabeth_C
In response to Kaylann

I love books too but I don't read often enough to probably join in. Right now I am reading "1st To Die" by James Patterson. Great read!!!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics