Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Need to cut my cropper hoppers        (Topic#1597837)
Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-31-14 10:29 AM

Hey guys and dolls,

I need to cut about 3/4" off the top of my cropper hopper paper holders so they will fit into my shelving. I have read several posts where people have talked about this, but what are you using to cut them? I've tried my scissors and my tim holtz tonic scissors, but it's still really hard to cut and the cut isn't smooth at all. I have about 20 of them I need to do. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Vae

That's a good question. I suppose a guillotine cutter wouldn't work?

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens
In response to RedSquirrel

What about the "snippers" you use to cut tin? We call them "tin snips" but I do not know the formal name for them, lol. I have helped my husband cut tin (replacing a roof) and they cut similar to regular scissors just a little harder to handle (they are bigger than regular scissors). The reason I mention them is because they don't seem to leave a real bad jagged edge on the tin after it is cut. May work on that type of material too.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Vae

Wow, you have your worked cut out for you. I would say you need a large heavy guillotine cutter, like for an office, OR perhaps mixed media scissors would do it. I have some Fiskars ones and they will cut about anything. I know you want a smooth edge so the guillotine seems best to me. Let us know what works.

Also, you could contact Cropper Hopper and see what they say.

Which paper holder are you working with?

Edited by CrimsonMama on 08-01-14 06:26 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Cloverlady
Mayor
Cloverlady
In response to CrimsonMama

Maybe a pair of kitchen scissors would work? Or a pair of garden shears I use garden shears for cutting branches that I have used when making floral arrangements for my mothers grave. They cut nicely through the plastic floral stems with the wired in them which can be pretty thick. If you really want to get serious a pair of heavy duty lopping shears should do the trick just do not cut yourself!
I used to have plastic storage boxes for my paper and embellishments and they have plastic dividers and when I wanted to remove them I used a Dremel with a diamond cutting wheel. It worked Quite nicely but you have to be careful the Dremel does overheat and the plastic bits that come off can be hot so do not burn yourself.
As a last resort know anyone with a scroll saw oor a table saw either should definitely work my brother has one I forgot which he has and I have brought stuff to his house to cut when I need to! I let him do because if I tried I would probably cut off a finger!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-01-14 08:04 AM
In response to Cloverlady

Thanks everyone!

The scissors I tried were heavy duty scissors but not snips or shears, I'll have to see if I can find some of those. I have a guillotine cutter but it has this thing on it that keeps me from being able to put the plastic in. I'm not above removing that but I just wanted to check here first before I potentially destroy my guillotine. LOL.

I also think hubs has every saw known to man...I will ask him if he will try one and see if it works. Never would have thought about using a dremmel and I do have one, but I never would have thought about heating up the plastic either so thank you! I will be extra cautious.

Below is the pic of the cropper hoppers I am using.

There is a thread called "Least Favorite Thing" asking what is the least fav thing about your craft space, and for me it's my paper storage. It's all up on the top shelf because these paper holders won't fit on the lower shelves. So I thought I'd just go ahead and try to fix that.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to Vae

Hm. I'd almost think you'd have to use a heavy utility knife, and a metal ruler, to get a clean cut.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Megan - ForumTech

noooooo Vae - do you have any idea how hard they are to find those little paper holders and I love them!

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Ladybing Tammy

course you know if it works I'll be asking you how to do it

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-01-14 11:42 AM
In response to Ladybing Tammy

lol Tammy, I got really lucky when I found these. I got almost all of them at Tuesday Morning (a discount store) for super super cheap. Don't worry, I won't do anything to ruin their integrity. I just want to cut a tiny bit off the top so they'll fit in my shelves. I am pretty sure they still make them and I recall reading somewhere that they were re-releasing them with dimensions that actually fit into the Ikea Expedit units, but these were on clearance so I bought them up.

Megan, ooh I bet that might work really well, as long as I have something that is safe to cut into underneath it. I bet hubs has something in the garage. I can't wait to rework my paper so I can actually reach it!

lcomfy 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Vae

I just cut them with tim's scissors but marked them first, and used some sand paper to smooth the edges. it is hard work but well worth it. I now have all mine to fit in my expidit love the look!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to lcomfy

I reckon Megan's idea wins the prize. Have you got a self-healing craft mat to go underneath?

New Kid On the Block
In response to RedSquirrel

I used just regular household scissors but it was hard and they do look a little rough. But another option is to put them on their sides so that the top is in the front. Then you may not need to cut them at all.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to aJerseyGirl

good luck with this vae!!!
Hope it all works out the way you need it to .
mg

writerlady
Expert
writerlady
In response to mindygail

Fiskars makes some scissors now that are specifically made for heavy duty cutting. There are several different ones.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to writerlady

hey Vae don't I remember that if you turn them down instead of up that they fit???

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-04-14 07:28 AM
In response to anda11

I have tried putting them down on their side but unfortunately my shelves are still just a bit too small for them. I didn't get a chance to work on this over the weekend but I'm hoping to tonight. I'll let you all know what I end up doing.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Vae

I used my heavy duty guillotine trimmer on mine and it worked great - cut off 3/4". I opened the bottom flaps and squished them flat and cut.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-23-14 03:06 PM
In response to scrapingrandma

Just an update, I've finally gotten around to this project. We tried all the methods listed here. Hubs tried a few of his electric saws... they didn't melt but the edges were really torn up. He used a special blade for plastic, as well as some of his fine tooth blades. We also tried a straight edge box cutter, but these things are just too sturdy! Tried a rotary cutter that is specific for leather, but it barely scratched the surface. He finally tried a pair of his leather-working scissors and they seem to be the best. I just drew a line with a sharpie and he was able to cut them pretty straight. When I tried scissors, it hurt my hand so badly that I could barely get through one, but his hands are much manlier than mine (Thankfully!). LOL.

Just wanted to give an update in case anyone else is needing to do this.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Vae

Glad you figured out a method

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics