Username Post: Do you art journal?        (Topic#1597841)
PineandPlum
New Kid On the Block
PineandPlum

I've recently begun art journaling over the past month and absolutely love the low stress aspect of it all. I find its such a great way to use supplies and practice techniques while thinking outside your crafty box. Does anyone here art jounal? I would love to see your stuff if you have it posted in the gallery or online. You can see my latest stuff here:

Jumping into Art Journaling / Pine & Plum

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to PineandPlum

I love to art journal I started about 1 year ago!!
It is low stress bc you know you don't feel that need to fill a big space with perfect designs!I use a lot of spray mists with templates!!!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to mindygail

Never art journal(ed) before.
It always interested me but I've been afraid.
I don't think, outside of scrapping, I'm very creative.
I was reading your blog and checking out the work of the you and the other ladies and I think it's great!

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to Doreena

I also am afraid to art journal. Ive seen them on you tube and they look amazing. I am very creative with scrapbooking, but.... Oh, I also have a smash book. Im using it, but it doesn't look good. I don't really understand it.

Edited by bonprof on 07-31-14 02:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to bonprof

I just watched a bunch of art journal videos. I think I would feel stress to make it look cool.

ld photography
Diva
ld photography
In response to bonprof

I art journal all the time and really enjoy the freedom to try out new ideas. I have a lot of art journal pages in my gallery and some tutorials (simple ) on my blog. I would encourage all of you to play. There is no requirement to look good, just to have fun and record your life.

Renaissance beauty in green flower paper lay out By Ld Photography

and

back of A Rose grunge mini journal By Ld Photography

here is a link to my blog
http://lindamd12.wordpress.com/2014/07/25/creative-k its...

Edited by ld photography on 07-31-14 03:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-31-14 04:38 PM
In response to ld photography

I participated in an art journal swap-type thing with a few other people from here, and it was a lot of fun! I haven't really done much since then but I'm planning on picking it up again soon. I just took a class with Dyan Reaveley last weekend and learned some new techniques that I'm anxious to try.

PineandPlum
New Kid On the Block
PineandPlum
In response to mindygail

mindygail, I love using spray mists and watercolors, it's so nice to just cut loose with some paints and then build on top of it.

PineandPlum
New Kid On the Block
PineandPlum
In response to bonprof

My mantra at the moment is "it's okay, it's an art journal" so everytime I make a mistake I just push through and finish the page. I've made about 10 pages so far and thrown away 2. I won't share them all online, but I will keep most of them as a reminder that I stepped outside my comfort zone. If you approach it with no pressure, then hopefully you can keep it low stress. I hear you about the smash books though, I like the idea but can't imagine actually putting it together.

PineandPlum
New Kid On the Block
PineandPlum
In response to Doreena

I think if you can scrap, then you're innately creative. Scrapping is no easy thing and you have to have a good sense of design to make it enjoyable. I say give it a try if you want, you'll probably surprise yourself!

PineandPlum
New Kid On the Block
PineandPlum
In response to ld photography

Your work is stunning! Thank you for the inspiration and the encouragement. I think this kind of artistic practice can only make us better at all our other creative endeavors like scrapping and card making.

PineandPlum
New Kid On the Block
PineandPlum
In response to Vae

If you're up for it you should totally join this Get Messy group over on Caylee Grey's blog. You basically have to post 2 pages per week and create based on a prompt each month. You also get an accountability partner, someone to help keep you on task. It's a great way to keep creating.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-01-14 08:13 AM

• PineandPlum Said:
My mantra at the moment is "it's okay, it's an art journal" so everytime I make a mistake I just push through and finish the page. I've made about 10 pages so far and thrown away 2. I won't share them all online, but I will keep most of them as a reminder that I stepped outside my comfort zone. If you approach it with no pressure, then hopefully you can keep it low stress. I hear you about the smash books though, I like the idea but can't imagine actually putting it together.

If I don't remember anything else about Dyan's class, I will remember that she said "The most important tool in art journaling is a straw. If you do something and don't like how it turned out, suck it up and move on." It cracked me up but it also is probably something I really need to remember.

PineandPlum
New Kid On the Block
PineandPlum
In response to Vae

I love that!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

• PineandPlum Said:
I think if you can scrap, then you're innately creative. Scrapping is no easy thing and you have to have a good sense of design to make it enjoyable. I say give it a try if you want, you'll probably surprise yourself!

I would love to follow along, at least unofficially...
I figure it doesn't hurt to try.
Question:
What is the best place to go to in order to get the monthly prompts and see the creations of the team? Would it be your blog or is there another blog I should be looking at?

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Doreena

I know a couple of great blogs that are for art journaling:
journal52.com
daisyyellow.com
journella.com

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to mindygail

I would love to art journal...and have tried, but find I am too...too rigid, can't get that free flowing feel ...but I love what I see others do and hope to 'dabble'

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to mjmone

I was just working on a layout and thinking about the whole art journal thing. Photos must be the focus for me not the art. I think that's why I struggle with art journaling, but I am so amazed at the beautiful art journal pages.

Edited by bonprof on 08-02-14 04:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to bonprof

it is a great thing to do when you have no photos left to scrap!!! that is usually when I find myself doing the art journaling!!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics