Username Post: Scrapbooking chalk        (Topic#1597985)
Veteran

What are your feellings on scrapbooking chalk? The ladies from my LSS seem to think it is the bees kees, but I've never used it. Are there advantages, disadvantages, better brands? Have I been missing out on the paramount scrapbooking supply for years?

Resident
In response to preraphaelitess

I used to use chalk, but haven't used it for years. I have a stampin-up set. I used to use it to colour around the edges of tags etc, before inking became a thing. And shading diecuts, back when they were plain and boring.
What I liked about it was it was forgiving...if you made a mistake you could rub it out with an eraser. I used to love making frames by chalking colours over a frame made with white card, then putting several layers of utee over it, popping it in the freezer, then cracking it.... I don't really remember what else I did with it, though I am sure there was more techniques around.
I was just thinking about my chalk actually a few days ago, and wondering if there was any new ideas around on using it....
What are the ladies at your LSS doing with it? I would be really interested in some new thoughts and ideas to use my chalk....

Veteran
In response to christiscraps61

Thanks for the reply. I think the ladies there use it as sort of a way to outline things and make them "pop", maybe in the way you are inking. They also use it as a mistake corrector, I think. I don't think the "ink" trend has quite caught on there as much. Just wanted to know what I was missing out on.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail

I am interested on other ways to use chalk and yes I too own the stampin up set. thanks,
mg

sassiescrapper
Expert
sassiescrapper
In response to mindygail

Wow, I have not used chalk in ages. I have the Pebbles brand.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to sassiescrapper

I love my chalks. They're what I use for edges and shading since mistakes are easily erased away. If you aren't a klutzy scrapper like I am, then maybe chalks aren't needed, but I love their forgiving personalities :>)

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-14-14 02:48 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

I've had a hard time with chalks because they seem to smear when I think they should already be dry and set. I'm probably doing it wrong. But I use my inks instead for inking the edges for definition.

Veteran
In response to Vae

Mrs. driver, are there any videos that show how to use chalks for shading? I am definitely a "messy scrapper" and love the idea of using them for shading. I'd just like to get the maximum effect. Also, is there a difference between scrapbook chalk and pastels? They seem to be the same thing to me. are there advantages to using them over the liquid white pens?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

This question illustrates that trends come and go. What's old is new again.

Don't purge! It will be popular again.

My chalks are about a decade old.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics